• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

pateln12

What did you do differently the last time since your scores improved?
Honestly i was kinda disappointed my OAR score did not improve since I put alot more time in for studying algebra and time/speed word problems. For the rest I just practiced the UAV compass trick alot, only got 1 wrong on that part. As for the sticks, i did the peripheral trick, only focusing on the joystick and using the corner of my eye for the throttle (checking back in every 5 seconds or so). For the listening, i would remove the opposite headphone side quickly in between Right an Left ears. I found this to be more effective then titling my head to the side i should be listening to.

Joshua 631625

I just took the oar for the first time and got a 43 on it. I honestly don’t know where to go now because I thought that I had a pretty good grasp on the three sections of this test and also put a pretty good amount of time studying for it ahead of time. I used barrons military flight aptitude guide book along with several other sources along the way. I finished my associates degree in general studies with a 3.8 and my bachelors degree in homeland security with a 3.9. The only job that they said that I would be able to apply for would be swo. My main question is how does one go about scoring higher if they really aren’t sure about what portion or portions they struggled in?

I just finished my exam and scored 51 6/7/5/. Not the best, but I'm happy with it. I'm majoring in Aviation Science - Professional Pilot. The exam was hard.

I took the ASTB earlier today, and wanna thank everyone who posted questions and gouge in this forum, it helped me immensely.
Any links i have at the bottom are not created by me they are various guides i found on here and i apologize for not giving credit to everyone whose guides i used. My best advice i can give is to go to page 250 and use anyone's gouge who did really well.
Scores: 61 8/7/7
Major: Math
GPA: 2.85
(have one more year of college)
I want to be a pilot and my recruiter my scores are good enough, but if anyone thinks I should retake please let me know!

I primarily used all the gouge on this website to study I got the trivium book as a practice test but I don't think it helped at all.

MATH: For the math section i feel like i should have studied more for. I am a math major so i guess i felt i knew everything already and just brushed over the topics, which hurt me speed wise... definatly go over the word problems in "astb study guide" and "ASTB Aditional Study Guide" I had questions that were straight from there. i had a perfect number question, painting a house in a certain amount of time, and a lot of extended algebra questions. I had the probability of flipping 3 heads in a row, but no log questions.

Reading: Some bland some not too bad, just make sure if there's any info not directly stated in the paragraph, the choice is wrong. Read the faa handbook, it's double studying!

Mechanical: Very hard, almost all conceptual questions used the the to study guides i previously stated, the marine aviation guide supplement, and the proproofs cardset that has like 230 cards... i think someone said it here before but the cards aren't always right but its good if you catch them when they're wrong. make sure to iron out the concepts more then the math i had 1 question with math and it was balancing a sesaw that had 40lb 1 ft away and 60lb 6 feet away and you need to find where to place a 100 lb weight on the other side to balance.

Aviation and Nautical: i definatly studied the most for this section and had a lot of questions i hadn't seen but the concepts i knew helped... i used what i already said and https://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/story.php?title=astb-aviation-nautical-inforfmation-test this card set and another one which i printed out but cant find when i look through my downloads but cant find.i got the CVBG question.

Trait: I honestly dont know if theres a method to madness here just go with your gut.
UAV: i missed 3 averaged 2 seconds ish, used the compas trick but did the spinning in my head which got the times faster.

Dichotic: Used the video everyone posts in here, and did the head tilt which definitely helps

Tracking: I thought i was doing terribly at, like realllly badly. They give you like 5 seconds to practice then throw you in there but it definitely gets easier as time goes by, I had trouble calibrating but my proctor helped get it set. By themselves hard, together almost imposible, probably tracked for like 10% of the whole time and less than that with the dichotic listening.
---- Do your best and don't get frustrated or worried reading that... from what ive read everyone feels this way----

GOSH, thanks everyone let me know if you have any questions!! and sorry for my shitty grammar. Im gunna slap all my downloaded files down below...
also used https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s0TFbrfix-01JR_nBtxMF2pfE7mo3Apm
https://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/story.php?title=_36014
https://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/story.php?title=astb-mechanical-comprehension-test
https://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/story.php?title=astb-mechanical-comprehension_1

-Joe
Thank you very much. I followed your guides and got qualifying scores this afternoon for SNA. Thank you!

Reactions: O.B

Jmack2019

Hi Everyone! I just took the OAR a second time and I was able to increase my score from 45 to a 47. I am happy with my score because I basically studied math all summer long! And let me tell you all, it really helped, the math section was harder than the last time I took it; but I was able to do them. So practice, practice, practice pays off! I think if I did practice a little more on reading and mechanical I could have gotten a 50 or so. But I did my best and I feel better about this test performance than last time.

I am open for suggestions/opinions about my score, I'm trying for either SWO or Supply Corps. With a 47 OAR, Energy Policy and Management B.A and a 3.6 GPA, do I stand a good chance of being qualified?

Thank you everyone!

ApacheIndian

I took the ASTB for the second time on AUG 15 and scored 48 5/5/5.

My problem this time was that the questions asked were too long on the MST section. Questions were focused a lot on algebra (factorization) and application of exponent rules. Doing them made me run out of time and then I had to rush through the remaining problems which tanked my score. The RST section had the same questions, no changes whatsoever. Not many calculations for MCT apart from two problems where I had to apply F = ma.

Any recommendation on how to do better at math?

gunnerkring

Retook the ASTB and got 49 6/8/6, and my recruiter told me I was in good shape! If everything goes as planned, I will be submitting my package for SNA at the end of September!

jhaselti

Hello All,

So i just took the OAR only section and heres my experiences

First i got a 59, which is good but i should have been able to do better as i had TWO network interruptions that disrupted my test, and i was a little irritated that between clicking each answer it would be 5-10 seconds to see the next question. Im not sure if everyones experience is like that but thats what mine was. I ended up finishing math with 10 mins to spare, timing out on both reading comprehension(1 interruption) and mechanics(1 interruption)

Math:
Had typical time and distance questions
Had some find the x based on some equations for given angles.
Had some relating to circumference of circle
Had 1 find the average where they give you 3 and then add in certain things like the 4th is 20 more than 2/3 of the 3rd, then the 5th is whatever in relation to the 4th.
Also had 2 probability related to dice questions.
I think i was doing well on these as i started to get some really challenging ones that take some time to work through, these i did end up guessing logically thinking i had many questions but i only had like 12ish questions for the math section and finished with 10 mins to spare.

Reading:
Did really well as i usually have on these, i just ran into time issues related to what i mentioned earlier. Some tips, read the whole thing once, go through and cross out some of the letters that dont fit, usually you will end up with 1 or 2 that are/could be correct. Then make sure that everything stated as a possible answer IS in the passage. Sometimes they will add things like, this program is cost effective because of (insert direct passage quote), if you didnt see "cost effective" in the passage than that answer is incorrect. I didnt get much navy memos as some have, i got a few relating to light and photons and how it affects vision.

Mechanics:
I had 2 fulcrum related ones
I had 2 of the ones where you drop something vs shoot/throw something which lands first.
I had 1 that was basing the speed on sound in relation to altitude.
A couple related to water pressure
Some based on air pressure knowledge
NO pullies or circuits(which i studied the most on)
Those last two could have been on it, but given 15 minutes i timed out after losing about 2 mins due to the network issue.

Make sure you account for the possible network issues and after answering the first few questions keep note of time between submitting answer and when the next page comes up so you can plan time better. Hopefully most of yall dont have my same issues. But also correct answers are better than finishing on time. Make sure you get them correct first but dont spend too much time on 1.

Hello All,

So i just took the OAR only section and heres my experiences

First i got a 59, which is good but i should have been able to do better as i had TWO network interruptions that disrupted my test, and i was a little irritated that between clicking each answer it would be 5-10 seconds to see the next question. Im not sure if everyones experience is like that but thats what mine was. I ended up finishing math with 10 mins to spare, timing out on both reading comprehension(1 interruption) and mechanics(1 interruption)

Math:
Had typical time and distance questions
Had some find the x based on some equations for given angles.
Had some relating to circumference of circle
Had 1 find the average where they give you 3 and then add in certain things like the 4th is 20 more than 2/3 of the 3rd, then the 5th is whatever in relation to the 4th.
Also had 2 probability related to dice questions.
I think i was doing well on these as i started to get some really challenging ones that take some time to work through, these i did end up guessing logically thinking i had many questions but i only had like 12ish questions for the math section and finished with 10 mins to spare.

Reading:
Did really well as i usually have on these, i just ran into time issues related to what i mentioned earlier. Some tips, read the whole thing once, go through and cross out some of the letters that dont fit, usually you will end up with 1 or 2 that are/could be correct. Then make sure that everything stated as a possible answer IS in the passage. Sometimes they will add things like, this program is cost effective because of (insert direct passage quote), if you didnt see "cost effective" in the passage than that answer is incorrect. I didnt get much navy memos as some have, i got a few relating to light and photons and how it affects vision.

Mechanics:
I had 2 fulcrum related ones
I had 2 of the ones where you drop something vs shoot/throw something which lands first.
I had 1 that was basing the speed on sound in relation to altitude.
A couple related to water pressure
Some based on air pressure knowledge
NO pullies or circuits(which i studied the most on)
Those last two could have been on it, but given 15 minutes i timed out after losing about 2 mins due to the network issue.

Make sure you account for the possible network issues and after answering the first few questions keep note of time between submitting answer and when the next page comes up so you can plan time better. Hopefully most of yall dont have my same issues. But also correct answers are better than finishing on time. Make sure you get them correct first but dont spend too much time on 1.
Congrats for that. Please, what study guide did you use?

jhaselti

Congrats for that. Please, what study guide did you use?
I used the ones from the google drive on here, and just watched youtube videos based on the concepts in the study guides to expand upon some things. Also did searches for OAR and GRE related things on youtube. It is much similar to GRE than SAT and much harder than what i remember on the asvab.