• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

jhaselti

Hello All,

So i just took the OAR only section and heres my experiences

First i got a 59, which is good but i should have been able to do better as i had TWO network interruptions that disrupted my test, and i was a little irritated that between clicking each answer it would be 5-10 seconds to see the next question. Im not sure if everyones experience is like that but thats what mine was. I ended up finishing math with 10 mins to spare, timing out on both reading comprehension(1 interruption) and mechanics(1 interruption)

Math:
Had typical time and distance questions
Had some find the x based on some equations for given angles.
Had some relating to circumference of circle
Had 1 find the average where they give you 3 and then add in certain things like the 4th is 20 more than 2/3 of the 3rd, then the 5th is whatever in relation to the 4th.
Also had 2 probability related to dice questions.
I think i was doing well on these as i started to get some really challenging ones that take some time to work through, these i did end up guessing logically thinking i had many questions but i only had like 12ish questions for the math section and finished with 10 mins to spare.

Reading:
Did really well as i usually have on these, i just ran into time issues related to what i mentioned earlier. Some tips, read the whole thing once, go through and cross out some of the letters that dont fit, usually you will end up with 1 or 2 that are/could be correct. Then make sure that everything stated as a possible answer IS in the passage. Sometimes they will add things like, this program is cost effective because of (insert direct passage quote), if you didnt see "cost effective" in the passage than that answer is incorrect. I didnt get much navy memos as some have, i got a few relating to light and photons and how it affects vision.

Mechanics:
I had 2 fulcrum related ones
I had 2 of the ones where you drop something vs shoot/throw something which lands first.
I had 1 that was basing the speed on sound in relation to altitude.
A couple related to water pressure
Some based on air pressure knowledge
NO pullies or circuits(which i studied the most on)
Those last two could have been on it, but given 15 minutes i timed out after losing about 2 mins due to the network issue.

Make sure you account for the possible network issues and after answering the first few questions keep note of time between submitting answer and when the next page comes up so you can plan time better. Hopefully most of yall dont have my same issues. But also correct answers are better than finishing on time. Make sure you get them correct first but dont spend too much time on 1.

folorunso1

Hello All,

So i just took the OAR only section and heres my experiences

First i got a 59, which is good but i should have been able to do better as i had TWO network interruptions that disrupted my test, and i was a little irritated that between clicking each answer it would be 5-10 seconds to see the next question. Im not sure if everyones experience is like that but thats what mine was. I ended up finishing math with 10 mins to spare, timing out on both reading comprehension(1 interruption) and mechanics(1 interruption)

Math:
Had typical time and distance questions
Had some find the x based on some equations for given angles.
Had some relating to circumference of circle
Had 1 find the average where they give you 3 and then add in certain things like the 4th is 20 more than 2/3 of the 3rd, then the 5th is whatever in relation to the 4th.
Also had 2 probability related to dice questions.
I think i was doing well on these as i started to get some really challenging ones that take some time to work through, these i did end up guessing logically thinking i had many questions but i only had like 12ish questions for the math section and finished with 10 mins to spare.

Reading:
Did really well as i usually have on these, i just ran into time issues related to what i mentioned earlier. Some tips, read the whole thing once, go through and cross out some of the letters that dont fit, usually you will end up with 1 or 2 that are/could be correct. Then make sure that everything stated as a possible answer IS in the passage. Sometimes they will add things like, this program is cost effective because of (insert direct passage quote), if you didnt see "cost effective" in the passage than that answer is incorrect. I didnt get much navy memos as some have, i got a few relating to light and photons and how it affects vision.

Mechanics:
I had 2 fulcrum related ones
I had 2 of the ones where you drop something vs shoot/throw something which lands first.
I had 1 that was basing the speed on sound in relation to altitude.
A couple related to water pressure
Some based on air pressure knowledge
NO pullies or circuits(which i studied the most on)
Those last two could have been on it, but given 15 minutes i timed out after losing about 2 mins due to the network issue.

Make sure you account for the possible network issues and after answering the first few questions keep note of time between submitting answer and when the next page comes up so you can plan time better. Hopefully most of yall dont have my same issues. But also correct answers are better than finishing on time. Make sure you get them correct first but dont spend too much time on 1.
Congrats for that. Please, what study guide did you use?

jhaselti

Congrats for that. Please, what study guide did you use?
I used the ones from the google drive on here, and just watched youtube videos based on the concepts in the study guides to expand upon some things. Also did searches for OAR and GRE related things on youtube. It is much similar to GRE than SAT and much harder than what i remember on the asvab.

folorunso1

I used the ones from the google drive on here, and just watched youtube videos based on the concepts in the study guides to expand upon some things. Also did searches for OAR and GRE related things on youtube. It is much similar to GRE than SAT and much harder than what i remember on the asvab.
Great thanks for the info. Please, can you email me the one for Google Drive?

jhaselti

I didnt save the link, look around on this thread a few pages back or do a search and you should find it, its the same one most people use.

Mahon9473

Cap

Hey, everyone. I just took my OAR today and am looking for some feedback.

Undergrad: Political Science, International Relations, History (3.5)
Grad: Master of Public Policy (3.7)
Experience/Extra: Years of management experience, community involved (AmeriCorps alum and volunteer w/various youth orgs), Senator in graduate school government
Applying For: 1) SWO; 2) Intel

Recruiter seems to think that the combination of a master's degree, relatively good OAR score, and the management experience makes me strong for SWO. I anticipated getting a higher score than I did, but contemplating whether a retest is necessary/worth it. My original hope had been Intel, but it seems pretty unlikely with competition level.

Also, the most recent PA seems to have an age waiver for SWO now? I'll be 32 when I apply, but would be 33 by the time I actually leave for OCS. Any experience with the age waivers/how hard they are to get approved?

jhaselti

From what ive read on here, which is a decent amount. Age waivers are somewhat hard to get but not unheard of. But if you dont try for one you wont get one ;). So might as well try if thats what you want to do. Also you didnt post your OAR score, from what i read for intel your GPA seems to be ok. Since SWO has a high selection rate, with your GPA and if your OAR is over 45 you seem to have a good shot pending age waiver.