• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

NCCGT

The OAR is just a check in the box, it carries very little weight if even looked at for some boards.

Being in the field will help, but your GPA for your UG will hurt, non-tech will hurt as well, Intel takes more non-tech candidates then CW or IP does so CW is a longshot.

You should look at SWO as well.

I appreciate the feedback, pretty in line with what I was thinking. So it sounds like unless I get the OAR up to a 60+ then it's not really worth the risk? Would you suggest putting Intel as my #1 and CW as my #2? I was looking at putting SWO-Intel or CW in there as well at #3 for the first go around.

I do have a Graduate Certificate in Data Analytics that I did as part of my MBA. Classes included Big Data, Data Mining, Data Resource Management, Quantitative Methods and Advanced Quantitative Methods. GPA for those classes was approximately 3.8-3.9. Any idea if a Graduate Tech Certificate would be perceived as a solid application booster due to lack of a STEM degree?

exNavyOffRec

I appreciate the feedback, pretty in line with what I was thinking. So it sounds like unless I get the OAR up to a 60+ then it's not really worth the risk? Would you suggest putting Intel as my #1 and CW as my #2? I was looking at putting SWO-Intel or CW in there as well at #3 for the first go around.

I do have a Graduate Certificate in Data Analytics that I did as part of my MBA. Classes included Big Data, Data Mining, Data Resource Management, Quantitative Methods and Advanced Quantitative Methods. GPA for those classes was approximately 3.8-3.9. Any idea if a Graduate Tech Certificate would be perceived as a solid application booster due to lack of a STEM degree?

It isn't worth redoing the OAR as it won't do anything to improve your application.

SWO-Intel is on the books but I don't believe used anymore. The SWO options are few and the requirements are the same, best bet is straight SWO.

PhlyHigh94

This video will help you out so much. After you've watched the video, practice with these cards or the other flashcards every night until your retest and you'll ace it. Accuracy and speed are key.

https://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/memorizeshow.php?title=astb-uav-portion
https://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/memorizeshow.php?title=_36014

This is not completely accurate since the real UAV portion boxes will be slightly misplaced and you will get 2-3 wrong until you figure out. However, this is a very good tutorial to give you an idea on how to work it.

OperationChungus

pilot
This is not completely accurate since the real UAV portion boxes will be slightly misplaced and you will get 2-3 wrong until you figure out. However, this is a very good tutorial to give you an idea on how to work it.

What do you mean slightly misplaced? If you know how to do the compass trick and practice it enough, you won't get a single wrong and you'll be able to get the answer super fast.

PhlyHigh94

What do you mean slightly misplaced? If you know how to do the compass trick and practice it enough, you won't get a single wrong and you'll be able to get the answer super fast.
- True but you need to draw the compass slightly skewed so it aligns perfectly with the boxes on the real UAV portion. I got 2 wrong because of that and once I adjusted for that slight angle, I didn’t miss any and averaged 3 seconds which is long as hell, honestly. I got a stupid 6 on the FOFAR for those 2 mistakes so anyone prepping for the ASTB please make sure you really get this pegged and practice, practice, practice.

OperationChungus

pilot
- True but you need to draw the compass slightly skewed so it aligns perfectly with the boxes on the real UAV portion. I got 2 wrong because of that and once I adjusted for that slight angle, I didn’t miss any and averaged 3 seconds which is long as hell, honestly. I got a stupid 6 on the FOFAR for those 2 mistakes so anyone prepping for the ASTB please make sure you really get this pegged and practice, practice, practice.

.....yeah I didn’t encounter any of that.

camg5

Quick question if anyone knows the answer:

I'm about to go talk to my Navy recruiter in Hawaii here soon about taking the ASTB. About a year ago when I went in to the Marine recruiter, they wanted me to go to MEPS before taking the ASTB.

My question is: will the Navy require me to go to MEPS before taking the ASTB? I understand that I have to fill out the initial officer application, but why make me go to MEPS first too? All I want to do is take my test and go from there.

Thanks guys.

PhlyHigh94

I'm about to go talk to my Navy recruiter in Hawaii here soon about taking the ASTB. About a year ago when I went in to the Marine recruiter, they wanted me to go to MEPS before taking the ASTB.

My question is: will the Navy require me to go to MEPS before taking the ASTB? I understand that I have to fill out the initial officer application, but why make me go to MEPS first too? All I want to do is take my test and go from there.

Thanks guys.
- I finished MEPS before the ASTB. Some recruiters like to be sure that you are medically cleared before you take the ASTB to avoid any surprises. There is many stories here of people getting great ASTB scored just to get medically dq’d at MEPS. So I would say MEPS first, then ASTB. Alot of people finished their ASTB, and didn’t get cleared from MEPS for months and missed the due date to hand in their application.

PhlyHigh94

Thanks guys.
- I finished MEPS before the ASTB. Some recruiters like to be sure that you are medically cleared before you take the ASTB to avoid any surprises. There is many stories here of people getting great ASTB scored just to get medically dq’d at MEPS. So I would say MEPS first, then ASTB. Alot of people finished their ASTB, and didn’t get cleared from MEPS for months and missed the due date to hand in their application.

aeroengineer

Hello everyone, im looking to get some input on my ASTB scores. I scored 6/6/5/51 on my first try. GPA is 3.2/4.0 and my major is Aerospace Engineering. I also have 65+ flight hours and strong LORs and leadership experience. Clean record and optimal physical condition.

Should I retest?

exNavyOffRec

I never sent anyone to MEPS without first doing the ASTB, the time and effort to get a person to MEPS is much more than having someone take the ASTB, also cost, it cost nothing to get a person the ASTB whereas MEPS cost the gov't money.

PhlyHigh94

I never sent anyone to MEPS without first doing the ASTB, the time and effort to get a person to MEPS is much more than having someone take the ASTB, also cost, it cost nothing to get a person the ASTB whereas MEPS cost the gov't money.
Perhaps it’s based on OR preference like I said. But that was my experience: MEPS, then ASTB.