• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

MGoBrew11

pilot
Just took the ASTB 8/8/8 62, from what I've read GPA is more important than high ASTB scores so I was wondering does the selection board take into account academic majors? I'm an mechanical engineering major with a 3.6 as of now but it will most likely go down since I padded the shit out of it by being an education major for 2 years. Since engineering GPA is generally .5 - 1.0 lower than other majors does the selection board take this into account?

I think you'd be in on pretty much any board. This last one in February you would have definitely gotten it.

I was pro-reced with 8/8/9 61 and a 3.6 in History. 3.6 in anything is actually considered pretty high I think, no matter what the major is.

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
be sure if your a mid submitting your service selection package this spring to stop in on the May 2012 Graduates Service Selection thread in the NROTC section and post your scores, GPA, major etc.

Wames09

Took the ASTB this morning. I used Arco, Barron's and aPatrick's study guide, and reviewed some of the advanced instrument stuff in the FAA handbook. Barely had any pulley problems, I think one electric circuit problem, and a lot of math problems involving exponents. Not much maritime stuff, but a lot of aviation material. Make sure you know what p-factor is, as well as structure loads for utility and acrobatic aircraft - those questions with the 3.8g, etc. Didn't see any math problems from aPatrick's guide. A couple of weather questions.

52 6/6/6

University of Vermont, B.S. Business Admin / Finance, 2.9 GPA
2 years in the financial services sector (investment banking and wealth management)
April boards for SWO, Supply (I guess not SNA with the 6s...)

PS - I was told by the recruiter that SWO opened today for April boards

jumpshot12

Took the ASTB this morning. I used Arco, Barron's and aPatrick's study guide, and reviewed some of the advanced instrument stuff in the FAA handbook. Barely had any pulley problems, I think one electric circuit problem, and a lot of math problems involving exponents. Not much maritime stuff, but a lot of aviation material. Make sure you know what p-factor is, as well as structure loads for utility and acrobatic aircraft - those questions with the 3.8g, etc. Didn't see any math problems from aPatrick's guide. A couple of weather questions.

52 6/6/6

University of Vermont, B.S. Business Admin / Finance, 2.9 GPA
2 years in the financial services sector (investment banking and wealth management)
April boards for SWO, Supply (I guess not SNA with the 6s...)

PS - I was told by the recruiter that SWO opened today for April boards

what form # did you have?

Wames09

Well, that's a good question! I didn't pay attention to that. It was all electronic and I had my scores immediately.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Did everyone's supplement section (subtest 6) have only math questions? I thought it would contain questions from all other sections but only had Math. I took paper version 4.

Wames09

Did everyone's supplement section (subtest 6) have only math questions? I thought it would contain questions from all other sections but only had Math. I took paper version 4.

Subtest 6 was almost all aviation for me. Don't forget about helicopters!

jumpshot12

Well, that's a good question! I didn't pay attention to that. It was all electronic and I had my scores immediately.

i'm taking electronic next week...there is no difference of the forms for electronic and paper, right? like form 3 on the computer is the same as form 3 on paper?

also, what kind of stuff did you see on your exam wames? what study guides did you use that helped?

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
Seriously? Did anyone else take version 4? Was there any aviation on yours?

I took form three and it was all nautical/aviation at the end during the supplemental test. Pretty sure theres no math, because I took form 4 as well.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
I took form three and it was all nautical/aviation at the end during the supplemental test. Pretty sure theres no math, because I took form 4 as well.

It was form "AC" for the last section of the test. It wasn't on a normal form code. Was yours like this? I took the written version, and I got a separate test booklet for the last version.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
ASTB tomorrow, I have my timing down and so far I feel like I am solid on everything but the mechanical bit. I can see myself being at about 60 something percent at the worst on that particular section. Other than that I hope I am good to go, wish me luck. I'll report with some feedback and try to remember as many problems as I could to put on here.

ravioli

I, just, took the ASTB form 5. Everything that I studied for the Aviation and Nautical Information, that I got on this forum and out of the two books I bought, was almost entirely absent from that section. The supplement part was also 99% from the Aviation and Nautical Information and the same thing almost none of the info I got was on this part either, just want to put this out there as a warning. Needless to say I wasn't pleased with my scores at all. Got 4/4/4/50.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I, just, took the ASTB form 5. Everything that I studied for the Aviation and Nautical Information, that I got on this forum and out of the two books I bought, was almost entirely absent from that section. The supplement part was also 99% from the Aviation and Nautical Information and the same thing almost none of the info I got was on this part either, just want to put this out there as a warning. Needless to say I wasn't pleased with my scores at all. Got 4/4/4/50.

Hopefully this was your first time and now you have a better idea of where to focus your studies for your second test.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot

I used gouge found on this site, in addition with the private pilots FAA handbook and Barrons ASTB Study Guide Text and scored a 9/9/9 on form 3 after my original score of 6/7/7 on form 4. The aviation and nautical information is on the website. Maybe you forgot to download a specific document or something because I saw tons of information that came directly from my studies. (keep in mind I just have a love for aviation as well and talked to many people who took it to get those random questions I might see on the test out in the open: Such as barometric reading at sea level... etc.) Just look around to make sure you got all of the Nautical Gouge that is provided here, by FSX and try again! You'll be fine.