• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
ASTB tomorrow, I have my timing down and so far I feel like I am solid on everything but the mechanical bit. I can see myself being at about 60 something percent at the worst on that particular section. Other than that I hope I am good to go, wish me luck. I'll report with some feedback and try to remember as many problems as I could to put on here.

Let us know how you did!

exNavyOffRec

I, just, took the ASTB form 5. Everything that I studied for the Aviation and Nautical Information, that I got on this forum and out of the two books I bought, was almost entirely absent from that section. The supplement part was also 99% from the Aviation and Nautical Information and the same thing almost none of the info I got was on this part either, just want to put this out there as a warning. Needless to say I wasn't pleased with my scores at all. Got 4/4/4/50.

I had one of my applicants tell me there was one study book out there that was out in left field, I tell my applicants to get 2 books.

The next time you take the test should be the new version as it is supposed to roll out this month, I am trying to get a hard date this week, I figure it all depends on the test they did last week.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Let us know how you did!

7/7/7 55...meh whatever. For some reason I felt really un focused for the first three sections and guess that score shows. Not really sure why but sometimes that happens, either way I'm glad I passed!

The idea of taking the test today was sprung on me last Thursday, so I grabbed both ARCO books and got my timing down and then used Atrickpays study guide.

So one thing that wasn't listed on the study guide was what transponder freq for getting lost specifically was.

Here are some others I remember:

It takes 2 guys 45 min to make 6 pizzas, how long does it take 3 guys to make 12 pizzas?

6 guys can lay a stack of bricks in ten hours. Starting at 11 if 6 guys lay bricks and every hour after five one person is added what time would they finish the same stack of bricks?

know the difference between P-factor and gyroscopic precession.

What is density altitude?

Pushing off of a weighted block a certain distance in the water was on there....

"fluffy, delicate clouds at high alitude" are what kind of clouds?

Birthday of the navy?

Primary SAC nuclear bomber in 1950? (i remember seeing B-6, B-24, and B-29 as options)
*really?! SAC?! come on and I have read all about SAC around that time but why is that on THIS test?!*

What aircraft is suited for ground attack? (A-10 was my answer)

There were definitely a couple questions that discussed finding moments of arms with weights!

Bernouli's principle states that low velocity over a wing means?
(ok now this was tricky, because I wondered if they meant low velocity over as compared to the underside or just low velocity airflow period)
some choices that I remember were:
more lift
less lift
no lift
something else...i don't remember

What does a tail rotor do?

side of the ship is a green light on?

two airplanes head on yeild which way?

Voltage across 30 ohm at .25 amps?

If this valve and that valve are closed which tanks fill up according to the diagram?

At least 6 problems dealing with rearranging algebraic expressions:
if a= something and b equals something a equals what ever x/2 or something
also
simplify (n+3)/(n^2+3n)

That is all I can remember and I'll probably forget everything pretty soon anyway. Hope this helped!

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
7/7/7 55...meh whatever. For some reason I felt really un focused for the first three sections and guess that score shows. Not really sure why but sometimes that happens, either way I'm glad I passed!

The idea of taking the test today was sprung on me last Thursday, so I grabbed both ARCO books and got my timing down and then used Atrickpays study guide.

So one thing that wasn't listed on the study guide was what transponder freq for getting lost specifically was.

Here are some others I remember:

It takes 2 guys 45 min to make 6 pizzas, how long does it take 3 guys to make 12 pizzas?

6 guys can lay a stack of bricks in ten hours. Starting at 11 if 6 guys lay bricks and every hour after five one person is added what time would they finish the same stack of bricks?

know the difference between P-factor and gyroscopic precession.

What is density altitude?

Pushing off of a weighted block a certain distance in the water was on there....

"fluffy, delicate clouds at high alitude" are what kind of clouds?

Birthday of the navy?

Primary SAC nuclear bomber in 1950? (i remember seeing B-6, B-24, and B-29 as options)
*really?! SAC?! come on and I have read all about SAC around that time but why is that on THIS test?!*

What aircraft is suited for ground attack? (A-10 was my answer)

There were definitely a couple questions that discussed finding moments of arms with weights!

Bernouli's principle states that low velocity over a wing means?
(ok now this was tricky, because I wondered if they meant low velocity over as compared to the underside or just low velocity airflow period)
some choices that I remember were:
more lift
less lift
no lift
something else...i don't remember

What does a tail rotor do?

side of the ship is a green light on?

two airplanes head on yeild which way?

Voltage across 30 ohm at .25 amps?

If this valve and that valve are closed which tanks fill up according to the diagram?

At least 6 problems dealing with rearranging algebraic expressions:
if a= something and b equals something a equals what ever x/2 or something
also
simplify (n+3)/(n^2+3n)

That is all I can remember and I'll probably forget everything pretty soon anyway. Hope this helped!

Congrats, that is a great score, and we definitely had the same form (3) because I had those same stumbles on the math questions with the Pizza and the Blocks. There was really no way to be prepared for that so I skipped them and came back at the end and used logic instead of math and ultimately it looked like I got them right. 7's are the competitive score so I would definitely keep it. Great job.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
I, just, took the ASTB form 5. Everything that I studied for the Aviation and Nautical Information, that I got on this forum and out of the two books I bought, was almost entirely absent from that section. The supplement part was also 99% from the Aviation and Nautical Information and the same thing almost none of the info I got was on this part either, just want to put this out there as a warning. Needless to say I wasn't pleased with my scores at all. Got 4/4/4/50.

Lucky, my supplement was 100% Math.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Lucky, my supplement was 100% Math.

Yeah I wouldn't have done too well with that test but doesn't matter anyway, a pass is a pass. I have bigger fish to fry on the Marine side of things like the PFT, the ASTB isn't going to be a deal breaker I would imagine

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Yeah I wouldn't have done too well with that test but doesn't matter anyway, a pass is a pass. I have bigger fish to fry on the Marine side of things like the PFT, the ASTB isn't going to be a deal breaker I would imagine

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." - very true: the PFT would be a breeze for me, wish I had that riding on the line instead of the ASTB!

silver236

None
Good luck dmoney. I just took Form 3 this past friday and got 6/7/6 54. I'm currently a ground contract but am switching to air. Also, I'm a fully trained candidate, went to PLC-C this past summer.

CM6

Just got my test scores back! I am going for a Marine air contract and passed the ASTB with 6/7/7. Wish I had studied, but just happy I passed. Flight physical in Pensacola next!