• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

jj1289

FS SNFO
Thanks for the help. Once I saw you talking about in in terms of circumference it totally made sense. And I dont undertand number 2 at all either. I'm wondering if the answer or questions might be a typo or something. But thanks again

Sonog

pilot
Hi I was wondering if yall could help me with a couple math problems. I am retaking my ASTB test this upcoming tuesday and am trying to improve in the parts I had the most trouble in.

1. The hour hand of a clock is 3 ft long. How many ft does the tip of this hand move between 1300 and 1700?
The answer is 2π but im not sure how they got it. I'm sure it is simple and i'm just missing something.

2. The sum of v50 + 3v72 is?
The answer for this one is 23v2.

Thanks for yall's help and all the links posted on here. It has been a great amount of info to prepare for the ASTB.
-John

Ok, I am going to assume those v's are radicals.

Then v50 = v25v2 = 5v2

v72= v36v2 = 6v2
3x(6v2)= 18v2

5v2 + 18v2 = 23v2

I don't think there's a lot of radicals on the astb

Wames09

sprocket wheel.jpg

Hey guys, this is a problem from the arco mechanical comprehension test. The answer guide says that the circumference of the wheel is 24 inches. How is that possible? I appreciate the help!

Thanks
Will

djguernsey

Pro-Rec SNA - OCS Class Date 27 May 2012
Ok, I am going to assume those v's are radicals.

Then v50 = v25v2 = 5v2

v72= v36v2 = 6v2
3x(6v2)= 18v2

5v2 + 18v2 = 23v2

I don't think there's a lot of radicals on the astb

Ah radicals. the v confused me. I was in algebra mode. Good catch though. I don't remember radicals on the test either.

And as the sprocket wheel, here's my take on how I would solve the problem, though someone correct me if there is another or better way to go about it. I may just get lucky on this:

The sprocket has six spikes to hold six chain links on it but 5 gaps on half of the wheel. Each half of the sprocket has a linear distance of 10". So that means that that each gap is 2 in, so the wheel will pull up 2 in every time it picks up a new chain link.. So it pulls up in one half a revolution 6 chain links x 2in of height the weight moved = 12inches the weight moved. So double that for a full revolution and you get 24inches.

The question is asking how high the weight will be pulled up, not the circumference of the wheel (which is 20). You have to think about the chain and gaps in the sprocket. Sort of combine a gear problem with a pulley problem.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Not sure why I am having a mental block but can't figure out how to arrive at the answer of 35:

There are exactly four times as many V-22s as CH-53Es in a marin expeditionary composite squadron. Which of the following can be the total nbr of V-22s and CH-53Es in the squadron?

Any help?

djguernsey

Not sure why I am having a mental block but can't figure out how to arrive at the answer of 35:

There are exactly four times as many V-22s as CH-53Es in a marin expeditionary composite squadron. Which of the following can be the total nbr of V-22s and CH-53Es in the squadron?

Any help?

I need to know the options available to you. If this is a math problem x+4x = 35 is straight forward (meaning 7 CH-53Es and 28 V-22s) . The other options must not allow X to be whole numbers (as in those without a decimal). If this is a problem about how much you know about the make up of military elements, then I suppose that is just something you got to know.

djguernsey

a) 35 b) 63 c) 39 d)41

I'm thinking its your first inclination, thanks.

Yeah, this is one of those word problems where if you can recognize that your equation looks like 5x=y, you know that y has to be a multiple of 5 and eliminate all the other options quickly and move on to save you time.

Wames09

But it looks like the diameter is 10 inches - so if you plug that into the equation for circumference, 2 pieR, you don't get 24. Your answer does seem to make sense, though. The arco book solution simply reads, "the circumference of the wheel is 24 inches. One complete revolution will raise w2 24 inches and lower w1 24 inches, a difference of 48 inches."

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Just got word that I will be taking the paper version of the ASTB. Anyone take both by chance (computerized and paper), or just the paper, and know any real nuances or differences between the two (yes, besides the fact that one is on paper and one isn't)? I know the scores are said to be close to the same, but I am looking for more hints I guess than anything.

Alex Wells

Took the test for the first time this morning.

9/9/9 64

Very excited, it is finally behind me and I can just relax for the rest of my final semester. Thank you to everybody on this site for the study material. I Definitely would not have gotten as high a score without it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Congrats Alex! Please share which version (Paper or Computer) and your experiences.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Nice work Alex, fantastic scores.

Question that came up from the Marine Mechnical Gouge. I attached the image below, the correct answer A, but I don't understand why.

If Torque=F*D, and A is 2x the distance of B but half the weight (aka force), shouldn't the pull be the same?

marinegouge28.png

djguernsey

This is one of those that will try and fool you. It's really kind of simple. Weight A weighs 5lbs which means that gravity is pulling down the weight with 5lbs of force. That force is what is being exerted on the bar, because it is resisting that 5lbs of force.

Weight B is 10lbs, so 10lbs of force is being exerted on the bar. Distance in this case doesn't matter. Distance would matter if a fulcrum was involved. There is none.

I hope that helps. If anyone has a more technical answer feel free to offer it.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
This is one of those that will try and fool you. It's really kind of simple. Weight A weighs 5lbs which means that gravity is pulling down the weight with 5lbs of force. That force is what is being exerted on the bar, because it is resisting that 5lbs of force.

Weight B is 10lbs, so 10lbs of force is being exerted on the bar. Distance in this case doesn't matter. Distance would matter if a fulcrum was involved. There is none.

I hope that helps. If anyone has a more technical answer feel free to offer it.

Sounds like I was trying to apply the wrong principle. That make's sense since gravity is more or less constant regardless of height. Thanks for the explanation.