• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Archanan7

Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi
Hey Everybody,

I'm new on here but I just had my App sent for the may boards and wanted to post my stats to see if anybody can tell me if I'm reasonably competitive for a SNA comission.

No prior Military experience and will (hopefully) be the first Comissioned Officer in my family.
Applying for SNA
3 years of classes in Mechanical Engineering
BS in Aviation: Pro Pilot from Eastern Kentucky University
GPA overall: 3.2
ATSB/OAR: 7/8/7 55
6 LORs, 5 from retired military officers. (1 was Navy Officer on selection board)
Approx 560 Flight Hours Single Engine Land. 160 Flight Instruction hours.
Physically fit and working out 5-6 times a week but no solid recorded PT results to post, but I am involved in triathalon training as well. I was a 4 year Track letterman and Soccer Varsity Captn in HS.
I am curious about how employment history affects selection. I've had approx 25 jobs the past 7 years bc my college years had me moving around a ton holding down mult jobs and a crazy schedule to balance. Will this hurt my chances? Any feedback is appreciated. Good luck everybody!

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
You have a very competitive package. If I had to bet, I would say you get in first try. Considering the reason for your long list of jobs, I would doubt it would be a problem. Good luck at the boards.

Archanan7

Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi
Thanks Makk85. Discovering this community has done alot to help answer questions and frankly burn up the midnight hours while waiting for next month.
Oh ya, did a test run (is that a pun?) PRT and ended up with a 10:20 1.5 mile. Think thats excellent low. Need to work on upper body strength tho for P/U.
Just wanted to let the everybody know that this site does a great job at keeping us lonely distressed apps informed and encouraged. Thanks again.

eggyfox

ASTB done Finally!

I just completed my ASTB after over a month of studying all sorts of materials I found out there, some of which I found on this site. I took the computer based exam, form 3 and it was far more difficult than any of the ARCO, Barron, Gouge practice exams I did, particularly in the mechanical and spatial sections. I reccommend that anyone planning on taking the ASTB for pilot MASTER the practice tests because even with those you only know less than 70% of whats on there, the rest I learned from the AOPA pilot training website, which has alot of material from beginner upward on aviation topics.

I Uploaded lots of the files I used to study, these took me weeks to compile/find. I do reccommend that you do it yourself as you learn along the way but if you are short on time or just need more stuff it can help. Also check petersons.com for the arco book for free.

I scored well:
AQR 9
PFAR 9
FOFAR 8
OAR 69

However, I have only 1 hour of experience. I am an active sportsperson and have never been fired from a job and will have 2 pilot references. Is there any other things that I should be doing to improve my chances? I was thinking of joining civil air patrol, even though I can't fly yet. Another thought was maybe sitting on my application for 6 months whilst I go and get a PPL. Would that be a good idea or should I just go for it?

Attachments

• MECHANICALCOMPREHENSION.pdf
    49.3 KB · Views: 328
  • AVIATION.pdf
    166.3 KB · Views: 256
  • ASTBGouge.pdf
    474.9 KB · Views: 248
  • NAVY Study.doc
    170 KB · Views: 343
  • ASTB Study Info.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 256

blarged

ready
I just completed my ASTB after over a month of studying all sorts of materials I found out there, some of which I found on this site. I took the computer based exam, form 3 and it was far more difficult than any of the ARCO, Barron, Gouge practice exams I did, particularly in the mechanical and spatial sections. I reccommend that anyone planning on taking the ASTB for pilot MASTER the practice tests because even with those you only know less than 70% of whats on there, the rest I learned from the AOPA pilot training website, which has alot of material from beginner upward on aviation topics.

I Uploaded lots of the files I used to study, these took me weeks to compile/find. I do reccommend that you do it yourself as you learn along the way but if you are short on time or just need more stuff it can help. Also check petersons.com for the arco book for free.

I scored well:
AQR 9
PFAR 9
FOFAR 8
OAR 69

However, I have only 1 hour of experience. I am an active sportsperson and have never been fired from a job and will have 2 pilot references. Is there any other things that I should be doing to improve my chances? I was thinking of joining civil air patrol, even though I can't fly yet. Another thought was maybe sitting on my application for 6 months whilst I go and get a PPL. Would that be a good idea or should I just go for it?

First off, amazing job on the ASTB, very well done :)

Second, I would highly recommend you not sit on your application for any time. Get it submitted as soon as possible. You can always re-apply if a non-select. Being a member of an organization always helps (especially a member in a leadership role), so if CAP is something you'd enjoy doing, go for it. But get your application to the board, don't wait.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot

I scored well:
AQR 9
PFAR 9
FOFAR 8
OAR 69

Assuming you have a descent gpa and you are well rounded in the other areas of your app I would definately submit if I were you. Awesome ASTB! I wouldn't worry about the flying stuff if you are just looking to get a SNA slot ASAP. It won't hurt, but you probably won't need the flight time to get accepted. There are plenty of people on here who have gotten SNA slots without flight time, and I have seen very few of them with an ASTB score that high. Good luck.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Quick question, will there be any type of formula sheet given during the math section? Call me too dependent on the calculator thanks to Calc 3 in college, but I'm feeling slightly retarded when it comes down to the simple stuff. Any suggestions on test taking if this isn't the case? thanks guys!

I really hope this isn't elsewhere. I promise I used the search function. :)

If you took Calc III, you will do fine on the ASTB (remember, some good pilots are history majors)...

BTW, they let you use a calculator in calculus???

blarged

ready
If you took Calc III, you will do fine on the ASTB (remember, some good pilots are history majors)...

BTW, they let you use a calculator in calculus???

i hear ya... my professor told us that he wasn't going to calc-you-later, but calc-you-now.

... ... ... oh those math majors ...

eggyfox

Thx for your replies, that is what the recruiter said too. I will post updates and tips on my application process as I go through it.

Stayafloat

Professional API Student
Looking for intel

Here we go!

Intel/?/? Haven't decided what to shoot for
59/6/6/6
3.63 GPA at Michigan State, 3.75 on majors
Dual majoring- International Relations and East Asian Language and Culture
Minor in Asian Studies
Speak Mandarin Chinese and only a tiny bit of Arabic

Only thing holding me back is physical test at this point. Pushups and running, working on it though. Please post your thoughts, I'm undecided on what I want to do.

sbudnik1

pilot
Yup here I am,
Shooting only for SNA currently.
Received 58 7/8/7 on ASTB version 4.
3.4 GPA at Boston College with History Major 3.5 GPA.
Currently waiting on PRK in early June so won't be able to apply until the early fall, so I have a bit of waiting unfortunately.

Yup here I am,
Shooting only for SNA currently.
Received 58 7/8/7 on ASTB version 4.
3.4 GPA at Boston College with History Major 3.5 GPA.
Currently waiting on PRK in early June so won't be able to apply until the early fall, so I have a bit of waiting unfortunately.

Yeah I am going to need PRK and it kills me every time I think about that 6 month waiting period.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor

eggy, if you have any questions about being a senior member in CAP, PM me

KLT

advice?

The following are my stats. I didn't do that well on the ASTB ( that's what I thought when I got my score back) I know that I can study and do better, and my 30 day wait to take it again is soon approaching, however my recruiter said that I did really well and that I should NOT retake the exam.. I didn't study for the test, and he knows that, I took it right after doing my PRT, so I was tired too. I know he wants to be encouraging, but I'm afraid that perhaps he told me that because he wanted me to go in for the NUKE boards ( which don't require the ASTB) asap and he's gunning for me to get nuke, however he knows that I am really determined for SNA. I guess what I'm hoping for is some advice as far as:
1) if i retake the ASTB, ( already being in the may boards and having a slot for a nuke interview June 11th) how lond do I have to wait to re-submit?
2) should I be studying for my ASTB right now and retake it? ( Keep in mind I work full time and am also studying for my NUKE interview in June)

thanks guys, really appreciate the help

22 y/o Female
2.9 GPA from UCLA B.S. Marine Biology with premedical focus. 4.0 last quarter.
ASTB:5/5/6 OAR: 48
PRT: 39 PU 82 SU 11:40 1.5 mile run
LOR's: O-7 Naval Aviator (known me since age 4 and knows me very very well), Boss/ Venture Capitalist, retired enlisted AF -prominent community member ( known me since birth)

HS: Varsity Swimming and Tennis, endless community service ( really endless) ranked 1st in class, 18 yrs violinist-concert mistress of symphonic orchestra, numerous leadership positions, ranked 3rd in Mathematics in countrywide competition.

UCLA: Greek community member, numerous inter mural sport teams, leadership, community service, Dean's list ( last quarter), publishable research on Coral reef ecosystems and sustainability in French Polynesia in 2008, Scientific research AAUS, NAUI, Rescue Diver Certified.

fluent in German, and can understand Mandarin Chinese ( very limited)

applying NUPOC/ SNA/ NFO