• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

blarged

ready
I've lurked on this site for a long time but never posted.

I just took the ASTB the first time and scored 7/7/7/62

I know this is good, but do you all think I should call it a day or try again?

If you are in the 60's I don't think there is much point in taking it again, regardless the community. If you are non-select, I wouldn't imagine it is because of your ASTB scores.

tasty danish

pilot
I'm a ROTC student. My XO said I did great and shouldn't be worried... about the scores at least. I have a peer who is now an ensign that told me to be "ecstatic."

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
Well in that case, you're in even better shape. If I'm not mistaken, ROTC students don't need to score as high as OCS applicants have to, and your scores are higher than many OCS applicants. So ya... I'd say leave it at that, and be very happy with it :)

Sailtexas20

5/6/5 on ASTB
3.1 GPA

What do you think my shot for getting a pilot slot is. I am about to be a senior in an ROTC unit.

Chelms8

Form 3

My name is Chris Helms

I am 25/M
Degree in Business Admin
OAR-48
AQR-4
FOFAR-4
PFAR-5

Did anyone just take form number 3 for a test? I have some questions about some questions I can't find the answers to.

das

Contributor
My name is Chris Helms

[...]

Did anyone just take form number 3 for a test? I have some questions about some questions I can't find the answers to.

Welcome, Chris.

No one is allowed to answer specific questions about any form, but we will be able to answer general questions...

Chelms8

Sorry I'm new

Well in some of the practice tests there is a question about passing the control tower and a change in magnetic reading or degrees. Also what does Vx stand for I can't find it anywhere.

Chelms8

A Book

I'm not sure if this is too specific but if It is does anyone know a book where to find this information.

das

Contributor
Chris, Vx (V sub x) could be a general reference to voltage, if that was a circuit/electricity problem, or could also have been velocity in the 'x' direction depending on the context. If you're just looking at the sample tests for some of this, we can absolutely help out...just would need to know what you're looking at.

No one has books that give the answers to questions on any of the official ASTB forms currently in use (3, 4, 5). In fact, forms 1 and 2 were retired several years ago after the answers were leaked. However, there are several references published that have sample ASTB tests, and good study materials for the content on the ASTB.

A lot of these resources are maintained by forum member mmx1 here:

http://www.grafitto.com/~mark/astb

Commonly cited study materials are the "Marine Gouge" along with the "Mechanical Gouge".

There are two published books that have ASTB study guides and sample tests:

ARCO Military Flight Aptitude Tests (PDF)
Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests

These sample tests are generally modeled after the material that is on the current form of the ASTB (with the exception that the actual ASTB no longer contains the Biological Inventory (BI) portion).

blarged

ready
Well in some of the practice tests there is a question about passing the control tower and a change in magnetic reading or degrees. Also what does Vx stand for I can't find it anywhere.

Vx most likely references climb velocity of an aircraft. I can't remember, however, which climb velocity it is, though (maximum altitude over horizontal distance?).

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I just took the ASTB and used the Barron's review book. My score break down is as follows:

AQR -- 6
PFAR -- 7
FOFAR -- 7
OAR -- 53

The review book definitely helped even though I found printing errors in it. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for good review material. Thank you to everyone for your help along the way. :)

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
Vx on the ASTB is refering to "Best Angle of Climb". This is an airspeed that gives an aircraft the most climb over the shortest distance which is great for climbing over an obstacle without going splat.

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
just took the test again today

AQR 7
PFAR 8
FOFAR 6
OAR 52

applying for the third time hopefully I get selected this time

Minnesotan

I have a question: I'm taking the ASTB in two weeks. I remember my recruiter saying something about if you're applying for Intel, you have to take some of the other sections of the test besides the basic 3 that make up the OAR. However, he has not been helpful at all- I emailed him to ask what those other sections are so I can study for them, but he hasn't answered yet and I HAVE to buckle down on those! Does anyone know?