• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Shockershot87

I was just saying theres a study guide out there that doesn't have the Spatial Apperception parts on the study guide. Not saying the test didn't have them.

Sorry for the mixup.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
If anyone is looking for the Barrons Military Flight Aptitude Test book to study from I have a copy to lend out. I am in the Norfolk area and took the ASTB this week. I also have some of the gouge printed out and just shoved into the book.

It was a great help and you will see a lot of the same information on the actual test.

Like I said, it is a loan out if someone is looking to save money. I am done with it for now.

cmixcoatl

For cimixcoati: ANY driving and alcohol incident is going to hurt, real bad. Talk to your recruiter about all the details. Unless you have a very strong app and tell a very good story about the open container incident, you will have a very tough time.
The two incidents are completely unrelated, they were years apart. As for the open container, I got busted for tossing an old beer can in the garbage in front of a bar, in a plastic bag. Bunch of cops in college towns with nothing better to do IMO

shark505

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking around here for about a month know, working on my package for 1. pilot 2. CEC took the ASTB last week and got 8/8/7/57, probably could have done better but I haven't really had much time to study since I'm a Civil Engineering major and I'm in 3 lab classes and a math class. Just wanted to say thanks for the gouge and here is a summary of my package.

ASTB: 8/8/7/57
Civil Engineering Major with Architectural Engineering Cert. & History Minor at Duke University
2.9 GPA (low I know)
2 years Varsity Swimming
1.5 years Air Force ROTC (saw the light after further reviewing my options)
Historian for my fraternity
3 LOR's (Marine O2 at flight school, AF 05 (ROTC commander), Navy Reserve O4 (professor) )

Hopefully my package made it in for April boards, got an interview with CEC this Saturday though so at least got that to look forward to. Good luck to everyone else and thanks again!

shark505

He was in my fraternity at school and did a year at the pentagon before getting into flight school, I also had to coordinate a couple things with him when he was NROTC and I was AFROTC, so I'm hoping the combination of things will help...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder how much weight that Marine 1st Lt LOR will have

It isn't so much the rank. It is how closely he knows the guy and the perspective from which he offers his recommendation. As a minimum a 1Lt may have been through OCS and TBS. He is more then qualified to speak to the likelihood a guy would make it through those programs, having recently completed them. I just love the guys that get letters from O-6s and O-7s that they hardly know, if at all, and think that will make a big difference. You aren't impressing the Board with an Admiral's letter. They know how to read them for authenticity.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
^^^ Point well taken as that makes sense. It's good to hear that the board members are humans with realistic brains not some mystic meeting of the skull and bones society selecting its new members.

or maybe it is....:mischievo

300th post - I'm on your tail A4s

KW83

Got a 9/9/9 today and am pretty excited...study up on your aviation/nautical stuff and I mean go well beyond what ARCO/Barron's presents. I saw a good bit of things that I have not studied, especially on the supplemental portion, but think clearly about the question and the possible answers and you will do ok!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Long time lurker, first post.

Took the ASTB last Friday and scored an 8/8/8 66

Pretty pumped about that overall. A few thoughts:

Math Section - Not bad. I was an engineering major in college, so this was pretty simple stuff. Basic Algebra, simple geometry for figures/angles, ratio questions. Lots of story problems, so making sure to setup the math right to begin with was priority one. Then, make sure you are giving them what they asked for in the end. Had about 5mins to spare and go over some ones I pushed through quickly.

Reading - Similar to to the Barrons for the most part. Lots of read this passage, pick a statement and what does this word mean. Just be sure to pick the statement that can only be picked by reading the section. Lots of stuff I knew made sense in the statements, but usually only one could be exactly taken from the texts. Again, had a few minutes to review a few I was iffy on.

Mechanical Comprehension - Marine gogue was probably the best study guide. Barron's was similar I'd say. Probably more in depth than needed I'd say. If you took college physics this should be a review.

Aviation/Nautical - 50% of my studying went into this section, most on the aviation stuff as I've never flown except in a commercial passenger liner. The Barron's book is good here, as is the FAA PHAK a lot of people link. Reading AW might help too! :)

Spatial App - Similar to what you expect from the study guides. Barron's had a few bogus answers I thought (subtle differences between pitch mostly). Just get fast at these, you won't have much time. I had a few minutes to spare I think.

Supplemental Section - Probably the hardest overall I'd say. Lots of difficult aviation questions that aren't covered in the study guides.

Random thoughts:
-Barron's was worth the $18 if only for the two practice tests.
-Get an idea for your speed through questions and pace yourself. If you're taking too long on something, move on and come back to it. The version I took let you "flag" a question so you could return to it quickly at the end of the section.
-Marine Gogue and the NOMI Sample test are worth their weight in gold.

Hope this helps! Now I'm off to get my package ready for the May boards.