• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Super Hornet 88

OK, so my unit said that everyone has to take the ASTB before we leave school for the summer. I took it last Friday with only a couple days notice and got a 5/5/5/45. I didn't study at all for this test and the LT. said I was "good to go". However, I don't feel comfortable with these results and plan on taking it again. I plan on devoting massive amounts of time studying so I can raise that score significantly.

Do they change versions of the test if you re-take it? Or is it the same test again?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, so my unit said that everyone has to take the ASTB before we leave school for the summer. I took it last Friday with only a couple days notice and got a 5/5/5/45. I didn't study at all for this test and the LT. said I was "good to go". However, I don't feel comfortable with these results and plan on taking it again. I plan on devoting massive amounts of time studying so I can raise that score significantly.

Do they change versions of the test if you re-take it? Or is it the same test again?

Always good to try to improve. But don't be deceived by the numbers you see posted here by the OCS wannabes. Generally the OCS guys have to get higher scores to get selected simply because of the extreme competition. Successful NROTC guys usually have lower average astb scores. It isn't that the NROTC guys are dumber. They just don't have to pull the higher scores so tend not to study their butts off for it. If you do, and get a better score next time, it will put you head and shoulders above your fellow ROTC mids.

VTHokie

Hey guys, I thought I'd post my stats on here and get some feedback.

Education:
BA History, Virginia Tech (Go Hokies!), GPA 3.56
Current VT Grad Student, Masters in Urban Planning, GPA 3.88 after 1 year
Extracurriculars:
5 years college club tennis, incoming club president for next year
1 year rugby post-undergrad
PRT (self-administered)- PU 82, SU 91, Run 10:55

Drawbacks:
Was arrested for misdemeanor destruction of property sophomore year of college (over 5 years ago) after a drunken prank gone wrong, charges dismissed after community service
Tried marijuana twice, HUGE MISTAKE, over 4 years ago (yeah I know, I'm an idiot)
LORs: From what I've seen on this site, good LORs come from veterans or "important people", and I don't really know anyone who falls into either of those categories. I have a bunch of professors who could write me glowing recommendations, but I'm not sure how much weight they'd have.

I've got the whole summer to study for the ASTB, and I usually score extremely well on standardized tests (1470 GRE), so I think I'll do pretty well.

With my stats/background, do I have a chance for OCS? I'd love to get a SNA or NFO slot, but I'd most of all I'd like to be an officer in the Navy and serve my country.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
Haha careful with the "what are my chances?" questions... people on AW have a tendency to get annoyed... just a friendly warning. No one here can tell you what the boards want to see, just put your best package out there and see what happens :)

Also, don't worry about how "important" your recommenders are- the most important thing is that they know you well and can write you great letters. A strong letter from someone you know well will have far more weight than a generic letter from an Admiral you've met once. Kick ass on the ASTB and write a great motivational statement, and you'll have the best chance possible. Best of luck!

PS Great attitude, by the way! You're in this for the right reasons- your main goal should be serving first and foremost. Everything else is secondary.

m26

Contributor
6/6/6 61

I screwed it up, but I guess I should live with this result.

The computer froze during the Spatial Apperception, and I lost 3-4 minutes. :icon_rage Oh, well.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
6/6/6 61

I screwed it up, but I guess I should live with this result.

The computer froze during the Spatial Apperception, and I lost 3-4 minutes. :icon_rage Oh, well.
That's a perfectly good score, above average too. I wouldn't sweat it if the rest of your package is ok.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone know the minimum scores for NFO and Pilot on the ASTB???

It really makes no difference. The min score prescribed by the program authorization is way lower then the competitive score that will fly. It is a market place. The more people that want the job the higher the competitive score and more impressive the balance of the app has to be. After testing the recruiter will tell you generally how well you did. If he recommends proceeding with the application that is really all you need to know.

blarged

ready
It really makes no difference. The min score prescribed by the program authorization is way lower then the competitive score that will fly. It is a market place. The more people that want the job the higher the competitive score and more impressive the balance of the app has to be. After testing the recruiter will tell you generally how well you did. If he recommends proceeding with the application that is really all you need to know.

but wink... you must not have seen that the question came with three question marks! sailtexas must really be concerned with the answer...

... so i googled. and behold! an AW thread came up!

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146136

[subliminal message]
searchsearchsearchsearchsearchsearchsearchsearchsearchsearchsearchsearchsearchsearchsearchsearchsearchsearchsearch
[/subliminal message]

Sailtexas20

OK cool.. thanks I got a 4/5/5 and a 41 overall. The computer froze during the math section so I think I can score higher. Should I retake the test.

SammieSam

Took the ASTB and scored a 45 on the OAR Wednesday. I feel like crap because a lot of people scored in the 60s and said they did terrible.

Here's my stats:

OAR: 45
Major: Finance
GPA: 2.95
Not much extracurricular in college but played sports in high school. Does that matter?
Applying for: Supply
LORs: Retired Navy 0-4 and church pastor so far
PRT: Possibly smoke it! j/k. I keep myself in shape though.

My recruiter says I have a 50/50 chance of getting it accepted. I'm just going to send in a package and see what happens.

SammieSam

Took the ASTB and scored a 45 on the OAR Wednesday. I feel like crap because a lot of people scored in the 60s and said they did terrible.

Here's my stats:

OAR: 45
Major: Finance
GPA: 2.95
Not much extracurricular in college but played sports in high school. Does that matter?
Applying for: Supply
LORs: Retired Navy 0-4 and church pastor so far
PRT: Possibly smoke it! j/k. I keep myself in shape though.

My recruiter says I have a 50/50 chance of getting it accepted. I'm just going to send in a package and see what happens.

Oh yeah and one more question...does your major GPA make a difference? Because mine is like a 3.6 something and were classes related to the field I'm applying for

blarged

ready
Oh yeah and one more question...does your major GPA make a difference? Because mine is like a 3.6 something and were classes related to the field I'm applying for

This is just my thoughts and opinions with regards to GPA...

Everyone harps on the fact that the boards look at the whole person the package represents, so one thing may not help/hurt you too much. I think GPA likely affects your chances dependent on which board you are applying. I am applying IW, and I think they really look at the transcripts/GPA. I got a 65 on the OAR, but unfortunately have a 2.9 in a Computer Science degree.

I was non-select in January 2008, and after many many many many hours of trying to figure out what went wrong, I convinced myself that the board looked at my grades a lot because it seems to me that IWOs go and work on graduate degrees while in the service.

And if a person can score high on the OAR but not in GPA, what does that say about the individual? Are they bright but do not apply themselves? Are they smart but are in a difficult degree?

Again, just me trying to figure out what the board is thinking. If you want my honest opinion, it would be not to worry about the numbers of your application too much. Do not set a goal for what GPA/ASTB you want, but instead do your absolute best, and apply and if necessary re-apply, then re-apply then re-apply. Keep improving and don't settle on what you might think is sufficient scores

tasty danish

pilot
I've lurked on this site for a long time but never posted.

I just took the ASTB the first time and scored 7/7/7/62

I know this is good, but do you all think I should call it a day or try again?

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
I've lurked on this site for a long time but never posted.

I just took the ASTB the first time and scored 7/7/7/62

I know this is good, but do you all think I should call it a day or try again?

Those are very good scores. Personally, I would call it a day. You don't want to risk doing worse if you take it again, since they take the most recent score, not the highest. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure others will weigh in. What does your OR say? And what are you applying for?