• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Sam Podolsky

Hello all, just an update for all of you that have had problems with the APEX test administering system; My test was rescheduled at a later date because they are conducting maintenance on APEX from 27MAY-04JUN.

Oshun8235

Hello all, just an update for all of you that have had problems with the APEX test administering system; My test was rescheduled at a later date because they are conducting maintenance on APEX from 27MAY-04JUN.
That's very good to know since I'm scheduled to take my exam on June 18th. Thanks for the info and good luck on yours.

GMWS10

hey i have two questions

I went to take the OAR today and my recruiter just told me that the computer system is down nationwide till June 7th. Did this happen to anyone?

Also, my recruiter started to talk about how there is calculus and the test questions in the math section of the OAR are supposed to lead there. Is that true? I did not see any type of those problems in the study guides or review packets on the thread.

PEFO Silver-Shades

hey i have two questions

I went to take the OAR today and my recruiter just told me that the computer system is down nationwide till June 7th. Did this happen to anyone?

Also, my recruiter started to talk about how there is calculus and the test questions in the math section of the OAR are supposed to lead there. Is that true? I did not see any type of those problems in the study guides or review packets on the thread.
The OAR is Adaptive meaning each question gets Harder/easier depending upon if you get the previous answer right/wrong. it does lead to calculus questions

The_woodman

Thought I’d throw up the stats to see where I fall for SNA.

• ASTB: 48 7/7/7 (first try)
  • GPA: 3.4
  • Degree: Economics and Finance (dual major)
  • References: AF Lt Col (ret) Pilot
AF Lt Col (ret) Pilot
Navy Lt Student Naval Aviator
  • Flight Instructor (Director of flight ops)
  • Current Job: Working for a defense company in their aerospace sector as a financial analyst
  • Currently have a PPL with around 90 logged hours.
  • No prior service.

With that being said, I know the OAR score is a bit low. I’ve heard a lot of back and forth how the OAR is the ticket into OCS. I’ve also heard that with straight 7’s it’s pretty 50/50 and can go both ways. Hoping my PPL, references, and current job give me a leg up.
When it came to studying, I’ll echo what everyone else has been saying... Kyle’s study guide. The math did catch me a little off guard since it did feel more difficult than the 114 practice questions.

Looking for some feedback!
Thanks in advance.

PEFO Silver-Shades

Thought I’d throw up the stats to see where I fall for SNA.

• ASTB: 48 7/7/7 (first try)
  • GPA: 3.4
  • Degree: Economics and Finance (dual major)
  • References: AF Lt Col (ret) Pilot
AF Lt Col (ret) Pilot
Navy Lt Student Naval Aviator
  • Flight Instructor (Director of flight ops)
  • Current Job: Working for a defense company in their aerospace sector as a financial analyst
  • Currently have a PPL with around 90 logged hours.
  • No prior service.
With that being said, I know the OAR score is a bit low. I’ve heard a lot of back and forth how the OAR is the ticket into OCS. I’ve also heard that with straight 7’s it’s pretty 50/50 and can go both ways. Hoping my PPL, references, and current job give me a leg up.
When it came to studying, I’ll echo what everyone else has been saying... Kyle’s study guide. The math did catch me a little off guard since it did feel more difficult than the 114 practice questions.

Looking for some feedback!
Thanks in advance.
Quoting what @exNavyOffRec has said, the Main component the SNA/NFO board looks at is your ASTB score (7/7/7) with that said i was picked up with a 45 7/8/7 OAR/ASTB so you application is relatively competitive.

villo0692

that is what i am told but did anyone see calculus based questions on the math section?
well...I forgot the formula for the volume of a cone, so I used calculus (solids of revolution integral) to derive it...but I would just learn the damn formula.....what I mean is...yes...you could probably use calculus in any of the problems to solve it, but it's not needed...at least in my experience...nobody was asking for derivatives, integrals, power series and what not

Darkenergy34

This happened to me too! The computer had to be shut down and restarted I kid you not at least 5 times during my test! My math drop down menu wasn't working, but the timer was still going while I went to get help and while she shut it down. It's not that the computer glitch makes you answer wrong, but it is difficult to stay focused for a long period of time. The computer glitches stretched out my test an extra hour. By the time I was finished I was exhausted ahaha. Needless to say I will be taking the ASTB again and my advice to anyone taking the test is if your experiencing technical difficulties- RESCHEDULE! Why risk under performing on one of only 3 possible attempts?

Was told i could reschedule, then later they told me I had to restart where I finished.

Hey man, good luck. Took mine earlier this month and scored 54 6/5/6, so decent enough and my recruiter thinks it'll be okay for what I'm applying for SWO/NFO, but I'm mentally preparing myself to take it again haha. I guess biggest difference is that ASVAB is at a high school level while OAR/ASTB is at a college level - take that as you will. Get good rest, eat a filling breakfast - it took me like 4.5 - 5 hours for the full exam + paperwork. Just make sure to read all of the instructions incredibly carefully, especially when you get to the performance based measure section.
thanks for the feedback man, i appreciate it! took the test a few weeks back just kept forgetting to post but i ended up getting a 45/5/6/6 so i cant complain. the recruiters there said i should be good with my 7 years in intel background and i scored more than minimum for Pilot/IntelO i shouldnt have a problem. i thought about retaking the exam but they advised me against it since they said the scores + experience + college should be good enough. i got the hard part out of the way (the test) now i just need to complete my last 8 college courses and 6 interviews and my package should be complete!