• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

user9876

Just took the ASTB for the first time and I scored a 58 7/8/7 with 3.89 GPA (Neuroscience), applying for SNA/Intel/NFO. Happy but also felt average after seeing all the higher scores but oh well it is what it is. But i'm here to give back my advice since this thread has been credibly helpful throughout my studying process. Studied for about 1 week (2-3 hours a day). Just do a bunch of practice from Kyle's drive (mentioned many times).

Tips: Make sure go through the last 150 pages of this thread (this is gold - you will score at least a 50 if you do). And make sure you bring water and ear plugs.

Math: 40 mins but I did like 10 questions and it kicked me out with at least 20 mins left. Thought it would be at least 20-25 questions but idk. NO DRT what so ever. Just 2-3 root questions, 1 inequalities (LITERALLY 2 answers are correct so i just closed my eyes and guessed). This question goes like if a > 0 and b<3, which is true (simple but answers are ambiguous). 1 log question, 1 matrix (not the same dimension), 1 very long tedious equation for foil/simplification, 1 dice question, 1 question on geometry (super hard i guessed it) goes like if area of a box to be assembled is 144, if bob cuts the corners 9x9, whats the length of the box. That was the last question and it kicked me out

Reading: People said it's mostly Navy passages but I got a good 50/50 mix of Navy/non-navy related passages so it was doable. But yes Navy passages are run-ons, very hard to break down. Ran out of time for this section.

Physics: Just do the practice and you'll be find. The study guide is adequate for this section. Easy and I breezed through.

Pilot/naval info: ALOT OF HISTORY and some VFR questions. A couple of aileron questions and pressure/altitude relationship. Spent like 2 hours studying this, not that hard.

UAV: Quite tough. The parking lots aren't always in the same position (sometimes it's crooked not in the + or x format so that threw me off). Got around 3-4 questions wrong with about 2 sec average.

Listening: Tough, but I just took off the headset of the non-tested ear and that became 10x easier

Tracking: The stick and throttle are terrible. They aren't responsive. There's a little lit of delay, which makes it 1000000x times harder. But besides that pretty self-explanatory. I thought I did bad but hey you arent supposed to ace this section

Emergency: Easy they gave you 3 scenarios (fire, engine, propeller). and you just adjust the knobs and press clutch on your throttle. This combined with the tracking so pay attention to the emergency first then the tracking.

That's it, I thought I did a lot better, came out i'm just average :( but my recruiter said the score is decent and the selection process is a whole person concept so make sure you get some extracurricular activities in there.
where did you study aviation history from if I may ask!

RobertE

Full Send
SNA or SNFO. I'm NROTC so scores aren't as big of a deal. Pretty sure they are good enough to pick up, I'm not sure if its a pass-fail style thing or higher scores actually help beyond 4 5 5 so I probably wont take again.
I got the same scores as you basically and i got picked up. 68 7 8 7 i think

chunkylver99

Hey guys, so I'm not amazing at math, but hopefully by the time my test date comes (June 20th) I should be decent. So for people who feel they did good on the math portion of the test, if you remember, what were some of the hardest problem types you came across? Would the 100+ questions, Peterson tests, and Barron's math tests be enough for me? Or should I find other resources. I appreciate any help, thank you!!

RobertE

Full Send
Hey guys, so I'm not amazing at math, but hopefully by the time my test date comes (June 20th) I should be decent. So for people who feel they did good on the math portion of the test, if you remember, what were some of the hardest problem types you came across? Would the 100+ questions, Peterson tests, and Barron's math tests be enough for me? Or should I find other resources. I appreciate any help, thank you!!
I seem to be the outlier but the hardest math question i had was matrix math(albeit an easy one) but most of it was algebra with some basic trig and algebra two sprinkled in here and there. I was an engineering major so that may have contributed to it. Most of the test was algebra or word problems. I used barons and some of Kevins Drive(somewhere in this thread) and got a 60 on the OAR.

chunkylver99

I seem to be the outlier but the hardest math question i had was matrix math(albeit an easy one) but most of it was algebra with some basic trig and algebra two sprinkled in here and there. I was an engineering major so that may have contributed to it. Most of the test was algebra or word problems. I used barons and some of Kevins Drive(somewhere in this thread) and got a 60 on the OAR.
Ah, so they give you questions based off of your major? I know it's adaptive. When you say Algebra 2, I assume you mean logs and what not right? I appreciate the answer by the way.

NevarYalnal

Ah, so they give you questions based off of your major? I know it's adaptive. When you say Algebra 2, I assume you mean logs and what not right? I appreciate the answer by the way.
it's not based off your major it's based off your performance in the test. the more questions you get right the harder it gets. don't sweat it if the test ends early for any particular section either, it just means the test has decided it has figured out your mastery level of that subject and additional questions are not necessary.

RobertE

Full Send
Yeah its adaptive so i assume it could get harder. IIRC there was quadratics, some simple radicals(which i forgot how to do lol) and some probability. Nothing you cant do on a piece of paper and some mental math. Happy to help

villo0692

View attachment 30783
Could someone explain this? Why does Pulley 4 spin faster than 3? Would 3 spin faster than 4? Since 3 is smaller?
this is the one fucking flashcard I could not figure out....the answer makes no sense to me...and I was glad it didn't show up won my test......if you understand most pulley problems and you get them right, I'd just move on, otherwise you'll go nuts. study pulleys mixed with springs....I had that on my test

NavyFanatic32

this is the one fucking flashcard I could not figure out....the answer makes no sense to me...and I was glad it didn't show up won my test......if you understand most pulley problems and you get them right, I'd just move on, otherwise you'll go nuts. study pulleys mixed with springs....I had that on my test
You have an example of the pulleys mixed with springs ?

user9876

Guys do we have to take a PRT test before we submit to a board ive been working with a recruiter for the last 4 months he never mentioned it and I asked him today if I had to take one he said yes but Ive asked around and people are saying they didnt can someone please clear this up for me! thanks

villo0692

Guys do we have to take a PRT test before we submit to a board ive been working with a recruiter for the last 4 months he never mentioned it and I asked him today if I had to take one he said yes but Ive asked around and people are saying they didnt can someone please clear this up for me! thanks
unless you're applying for SEALs you don't need a PRT

RobertE

Full Send
No you dont, but you should be actively working out. While waiting for your ship date you may do COP(commissioning officer program), which for my group is a monthly meeting where we go through the PRT and they track our progress. Its pretty relaxed and fun to hang out with everyone.

If you need workout ideas, it was recommended to me by a recent grad to do HIITS.