• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Empire16

No it’s not ideal for math. It helps but, there are better resources.

Look up Kieno Thomas on YouTube. He does 1 on 1 sessions but sometimes records them and puts them online. I would watch these for ANIT,math and mechanics. I did very well on the test and I am a liberal arts major who never took physics or anything. Even failed math in high school.

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
No it’s not ideal for math. It helps but, there are better resources.

Look up Kieno Thomas on YouTube. He does 1 on 1 sessions but sometimes records them and puts them online. I would watch these for ANIT,math and mechanics. I did very well on the test and I am a liberal arts major who never took physics or anything. Even failed math in high school.
What else do you guys need in the math section? I will put it on my TODO list.

bendaggs

What else do you guys need in the math section? I will put it on my TODO list.
Was trying to figure this problem out with a few people last night. We couldn’t figure out how to do it out. Someone told me it wasn’t correct, but wanted to check with you.

Attachments

• IMG_4474.png
    IMG_4474.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4474.png
    IMG_4474.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 35

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
Was trying to figure this problem out with a few people last night. We couldn’t figure out how to do it out. Someone told me it wasn’t correct, but wanted to check with you.

Ok, the answer is wrong for this one; I will change it for the next update. However, to solve this problem, you need to apply the properties of logarithms to simplify; there are quite a few steps to this one. However, the result once simplified is:

x² + 16x - 64 = 0

Then, use the quadratic formula to solve for x:

1280px-Quadratic_formula.svg.png

Given the formula and the simplified equation:
a = 1, b = 16 , c = -64

The resulting answer is:
-8 + 8√2 and -8 - 8√2

This is quite a challenging problem that requires many steps. I don't know if these are super common on the test.

I have an electrical engineer working on the new test questions in the future, so we run into fewer of these issues. But please message me if somebody could DM the other subjects they want to be covered in the app or test questions on a specific topic.

AviatorTy

Just took the ASTB today. 46,4/5/5. Proceeding with SWO. Wanted to thank all the people who recommended and contributed to all of the helpful resources in this thread. It played a large role in my by ability to succeed on the exam today. BOL to anyone taking the exam in the future.

Last edited:

rhansenwa13

What’s up everyone. To introduce myself I’m currently a vastly over qualified enlisted weather forecaster (😂). Joined for BUD/s but was part of the 80%. Had thought about pilot for a long time but had circumstances holding me back. Made the final decision to send it about 3 months ago so getting out end of May and submitting immediately. Scored 63/8/7/7 on ASTB 2 weeks ago and have all other pre requisites met for auto select. Seems like there is a severe lack of info (even for recruiters) on what to expect for timing or even what it actually means. I’ve read everything I can find on here but seems things are evolving quickly and maybe more people have gone through this new process so figured I’d put it out here for anyone who’s heard anything at all in regards to the auto select process.

Last edited:

bendaggs

What’s up everyone. To introduce myself I’m currently a vastly over qualified enlisted weather forecaster (😂). Joined for BUD/s but was part of the 80%. Had thought about pilot for a long time but had circumstances holding me back. Made the final decision to send it about 3 months ago so getting out end of May and submitting immediately. Scored 63/8/7/7 on ASTB 2 weeks ago and have all other pre requisites met for auto select. Seems like there is a severe lack of info (even for recruiters) on what to expect for timing etc. so figured I’d put it out here for anyone who’s heard anything at all in regards to the auto select process.
How did you study for math?

adamday24

What are anyone's experience with being prior service and having a RE-3 code honorable with a admin separation for depression? ( Never on Meds in my life )

rhansenwa13

How did you study for math?
I used the prep app a lot and looked up some of the rules I had forgotten such as adding like based log functions. Might not be the best person for that question just because I have a minor in math so was mostly just a matter of re-familiarization with concepts I hadn’t really used since high school 12 years ago. I know that’s not the best answer but if I can help in any way feel free to ask.

RobC

2nd Attempt for ASTB, 6/9/8, my recruiter thinks i'm good, but I feel like my AQR isn't where it needs to be to get accepted. Just wanted some 2nd opinions if it's a good idea to retake or wait till after the June board to make that decision. Thank you very much.

jgeraghty

2nd Attempt for ASTB, 6/9/8, my recruiter thinks i'm good, but I feel like my AQR isn't where it needs to be to get accepted. Just wanted some 2nd opinions if it's a good idea to retake or wait till after the June board to make that decision. Thank you very much.
You're good. Congrats on the scores

whollyskill

Ok, the answer is wrong for this one; I will change it for the next update. However, to solve this problem, you need to apply the properties of logarithms to simplify; there are quite a few steps to this one. However, the result once simplified is:

x² + 16x - 64 = 0

Then, use the quadratic formula to solve for x:

1280px-Quadratic_formula.svg.png

Given the formula and the simplified equation:
a = 1, b = 16 , c = -64

The resulting answer is:
-8 + 8√2 and -8 - 8√2

This is quite a challenging problem that requires many steps. I don't know if these are super common on the test.

I have an electrical engineer working on the new test questions in the future, so we run into fewer of these issues. But please message me if somebody could DM the other subjects they want to be covered in the app or test questions on a specific topic.
Just to clear up any misunderstanding: You need to check for extraneous solutions on this problem. Since logs of a negative number are undefined. In this case if we substitute -8-8sqrt(2) for log(x) we get a negative number which is undefined. The only answer for this question is -8 + 8sqrt(2)