• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Mil3s

SNA Select
This is what I meant, nothing nefarious, I promise. I’ve seen a lot of score postings that indicate there’s definitely a correlation between OAR and AQR scores, but the correlation is weird or maybe pointless to try to figure out.

I’m feeling locked in on the PBM and the ANIT but the math seems like it could be fine or absolutely rough, depending on luck. Are formula sheets provided for the math or mechanical portions?
Yea they give you basic formulas sheets but nothing the average person wouldn’t already know.

The mechanics was hit or miss for me, the first time I took it everything I had studied from study guides was pretty much on it but the second time nothing on the test was on any study guide / prep app.

NFHopeful

Does terrain identification affect AQR?
I wouldn’t think so. This is pure conjecture but I’d imagine the AQR is impacted by the OAR sections and then the ANIT with a good deal of emphasis on math and ANIT?

If I understand correctly, the AQR serves as a predictor of one’s performance in NIFE so I figure the big ones will be math and ANIT.

Of course, I have absolutely no idea; none of us really do and the navy is not going to tell us.

Anecdotally, the one guy I know in real life who took the ASTB-E said that on his first attempt he scored 5s because of the NAFTI. His second attempt he was slower on the UAV and made 7s, his only change being the way he answered the NAFTI.

JosephScott074

SNA Select
Hey everyone,

I got selected in December and wanted to tell my side of things in case someone is in a similar situation.

I am on active duty in the Navy. I'm currently an E6 with 12 years of service. I took the ASTB a while back and scored something like 40, 5/5/5. I ended up being directed to this website by a friend. I used the Jantzen Sim to practice the flight portion extensively using the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X. I bought the ASTB Prep app, which helped immensely with the UAV portion. For studying, I used the ASTB prep app, Barron's test prep book, ChatGPT, and some gouge study guides from this site that were being shared on Google Drive. After studying for around a month, I requested another shot at the ASTB, but the next available time slot was about two months away.

My retest scores were 49 5/7/6. I sent these in for the 12DEC23 SNA/SNFO Board and got the news that I was selected while on leave. I was initially supposed to go to OCS in February; however, I tore my tricep a couple of days after my package went to board. Fortunately, my chain of command was able to get me a later date of 25 May 24.

If you're currently searching through the forums like I was, I know how confusing and nerve-racking the whole process can be, so if you need any help, you can DM me or reply here. I will try my best to help you out.

ASTB: 49 5/7/6
Degree: B.S. Organizational Leadership
GPA: 4.0
Service: Active Duty Enlisted
Flight Experience: None
OCS Date: 25MAY24

exNavyOffRec

Hey everyone,

I got selected in December and wanted to tell my side of things in case someone is in a similar situation.

I am on active duty in the Navy. I'm currently an E6 with 12 years of service. I took the ASTB a while back and scored something like 40, 5/5/5. I ended up being directed to this website by a friend. I used the Jantzen Sim to practice the flight portion extensively using the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X. I bought the ASTB Prep app, which helped immensely with the UAV portion. For studying, I used the ASTB prep app, Barron's test prep book, ChatGPT, and some gouge study guides from this site that were being shared on Google Drive. After studying for around a month, I requested another shot at the ASTB, but the next available time slot was about two months away.

My retest scores were 49 5/7/6. I sent these in for the 12DEC23 SNA/SNFO Board and got the news that I was selected while on leave. I was initially supposed to go to OCS in February; however, I tore my tricep a couple of days after my package went to board. Fortunately, my chain of command was able to get me a later date of 25 May 24.

If you're currently searching through the forums like I was, I know how confusing and nerve-racking the whole process can be, so if you need any help, you can DM me or reply here. I will try my best to help you out.

ASTB: 49 5/7/6
Degree: B.S. Organizational Leadership
GPA: 4.0
Service: Active Duty Enlisted
Flight Experience: None
OCS Date: 25MAY24
Unless you had non-medical waivers you could have applied for the URL ISPP program with those straight 5's and been an automatic select via that program.

NFHopeful

This is my first time hearing about this program. I'll make sure to pass it along to some other aspiring SNAs that I know at my command. It seems much easier to do than what I did. Thank you for bringing that up.
Holy cow, based just on both of your posts here you seem like the kind of 1st class us junior sailors don’t know how lucky we are to have.

Big big congratulations on the OCS slot and I hope your tricep heals up in good time.

jamespeters3143

Hey everyone. Just scored 61 8/7/7 on the ASTB last Friday. The content in these forums was beyond helpful! had a few questions regarding the rest of my application. Who are the best people to get letters of rec from? I know a former Navy pilot, but need two additional. Also, is the personal statement really "personal" or is there a general format to follow? Thanks in advance.

mmandziak

Hey everyone. Just scored 61 8/7/7 on the ASTB last Friday. The content in these forums was beyond helpful! had a few questions regarding the rest of my application. Who are the best people to get letters of rec from? I know a former Navy pilot, but need two additional. Also, is the personal statement really "personal" or is there a general format to follow? Thanks in advance.
Personal Statement: exactly what it says, stating why you want to commission in the navy, and reason why the navy should select you.

LOR’s: One from a college professor, the other from some sort of mentor (Boss, Coach, etc)

but if you are applying for SNA…none of the above matters. Only GPA and test scores matter for that.

jamespeters3143

Personal Statement: exactly what it says, stating why you want to commission in the navy, and reason why the navy should select you.

LOR’s: One from a college professor, the other from some sort of mentor (Boss, Coach, etc)

but if you are applying for SNA…none of the above matters. Only GPA and test scores matter for that.
Ok, thanks for the input!

exNavyOffRec

If you have no waivers and a good GPA you probably meet the immediate selection requirements.