• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

NFHopeful

What does I-SEL mean? Those are my current scores and don't have any waivers, but I have no idea what that means 😂
Hey, sorry for the late reply, been a busy few weeks with work. I-SEL is the immediate selection criteria published on what are to my knowledge, the most recent program authorizations. My OR told me as of last week that these are still current. 7/7/7 and a 3.0 GPA for SNA
6/6/6 and 3.0 for SNFO

Please someone let me know if this information is outdated.

exNavyOffRec

Hey, sorry for the late reply, been a busy few weeks with work. I-SEL is the immediate selection criteria published on what are to my knowledge, the most recent program authorizations. My OR told me as of last week that these are still current. 7/7/7 and a 3.0 GPA for SNA
6/6/6 and 3.0 for SNFO

Please someone let me know if this information is outdated.
It is current until a new PA is released.

Prowler35

Hey everyone I took my first ASTB today and got a 6/7/7. I messed up during the emergency procedures portion of the test because I still thought I was on the practice portion so I know I can do better on it. Anyway, I am having a hard time with the mechanics and math portions of the exam. I have the Barron's ASTB prep book and have utilized other resources, but I feel like I am reading through it and it's not clicking. Does anyone have a suggested resource for a more visual person, I've heard Khan Academy but I wanted to see what the forum thought.

mmandziak

Hey everyone I took my first ASTB today and got a 6/7/7. I messed up during the emergency procedures portion of the test because I still thought I was on the practice portion so I know I can do better on it. Anyway, I am having a hard time with the mechanics and math portions of the exam. I have the Barron's ASTB prep book and have utilized other resources, but I feel like I am reading through it and it's not clicking. Does anyone have a suggested resource for a more visual person, I've heard Khan Academy but I wanted to see what the forum thought.
Im using organic chemistry tutor's algebra refresh course, and khan academy for supplemental geometry. OCT has a unique way of explaining his lessons and it just clicks for me...but it is a refresher course and moves at a fast pace. He also shows good strategies of doing the math by hand. I'm pretty sure Khan also has mechanics/physics courses.

NEVFR

I have been doing algebra 2 on Khan Academy. I have been doing a couple lessons before bed each night on top of my regular school work. If anyone wants to chime in and suggest any other sections that we should be studying, please do! I will also check out the geometry section and go through the college physics as well.

I am trying to configure my newly purchased X52 joystick and I am having trouble adjusting the sensitivity on AntiMicroX. Previously I was using a different joystick on the Jantzen simulator, and I was able to track the target pretty well because my joystick had some sort of acceleration.
Can anybody help or point me to someone on this forum who has had the same issues and was able to solve it?

Stobz71

Stobz
Question regarding scoring, I’m taking the ASTB for the first time next Wednesday. On the app I’m maxing UAV, and averaging 85-90% for terrain. My weak subjects are math and mech, averaging 65-75 per test. Im a Private pilot with IR, and working on commercial, if I maxed reading, ANIT and the situational but did mediocre on math and mech could I still score high on PFAR and FOFAR?

bendaggs

Question regarding scoring, I’m taking the ASTB for the first time next Wednesday. On the app I’m maxing UAV, and averaging 85-90% for terrain. My weak subjects are math and mech, averaging 65-75 per test. Im a Private pilot with IR, and working on commercial, if I maxed reading, ANIT and the situational but did mediocre on math and mech could I still score high on PFAR and FOFAR?
Yes, I had a 4/7/6. Did bad on the math. Any tips for the terrain?

Stobz71

Stobz
repetition, it’s like the idea of rotating an apple in your head. I just look for distinctive lines and compare and contrast the two pics mentally and rotate it. I was sucking when I first started terrain but doing it over and over for hours has helped me quickly identify features you can utilize for direction.

bendaggs

repetition, it’s like the idea of rotating an apple in your head. I just look for distinctive lines and compare and contrast the two pics mentally and rotate it. I was sucking when I first started terrain but doing it over and over for hours has helped me quickly identify features you can utilize for direction.
Honestly, the math and mechanical on the app seemed much harder than the questions they asked on the test. Could also be that I didn’t do well, however other people who did do well on those sections said something similar.

NFHopeful

If you don’t mind my asking, how did you score on the OAR? I’m sitting for the ASTB on Wednesday and I’m curious how the score spread tends to look. I know the OAR is just the MST, RCT and MCT but how does the score seem to correlate, if you have any idea?

Of course I’ve seen the 64 9/8/9 or the 36 3/4/4, but it seems like there are a lot of 45 6/8/8 or 54 4/5/5 type scores that are a little confusing.

Also I’ve been working on the terrain and the other PBM sub components on the ASTB Prep app tirelessly. For terrain, other than the pencil trick and finding a landmark and reorienting around it, the biggest thing for me has been taking a deep breath and realizing I have time to figure it out. The borderline ESE/SSE or NNW/WNW ones still get me sometimes but the pencil really does help

Mil3s

SNA Select
If you don’t mind my asking, how did you score on the OAR? I’m sitting for the ASTB on Wednesday and I’m curious how the score spread tends to look. I know the OAR is just the MST, RCT and MCT but how does the score seem to correlate, if you have any idea?

Of course I’ve seen the 64 9/8/9 or the 36 3/4/4, but it seems like there are a lot of 45 6/8/8 or 54 4/5/5 type scores that are a little confusing.
What do you mean by that? Doesn't it just depend on the person? if you do good on the first 3 parts your oar score is higher, and then if you do good on the pbm parts then your other score such as pfar and fofar will go up and vice versa.

bendaggs

Also I’ve been working on the terrain and the other PBM sub components on the ASTB Prep app tirelessly. For terrain, other than the pencil trick and finding a landmark and reorienting around it, the biggest thing for me has been taking a deep breath and realizing I have time to figure it out. The borderline ESE/SSE or NNW/WNW ones still get me sometimes but the pencil really does help
I got a 45 on the OAR I feel like if I do marginally better on my second take I can get that 50+ score. The 4 was very disappointing, however the 7/6 made me very confident. Especially, since I know I got most of the terrain wrong and still scored well. It’s interesting how the OAR doesn’t seem to necessarily correlate with the other 3.

I still am struggling with the terrain ID. Just going to have to sit there daily with it like the other stuff. I appreciate the tips. Also with the PBM and sim stuff they were much easier on the test.

bendaggs

What do you mean by that? Doesn't it just depend on the person? if you do good on the first 3 parts your oar score is higher, and then if you do good on the pbm parts then your other score such as pfar and fofar will go up and vice versa.
I feel like the correlation between OAR and AQR is pretty weird. Like I feel like I’ve seen high AQR scores and low OAR scores.

NFHopeful

I feel like the correlation between OAR and AQR is pretty weird. Like I feel like I’ve seen high AQR scores and low OAR scores.
This is what I meant, nothing nefarious, I promise. I’ve seen a lot of score postings that indicate there’s definitely a correlation between OAR and AQR scores, but the correlation is weird or maybe pointless to try to figure out.

I’m feeling locked in on the PBM and the ANIT but the math seems like it could be fine or absolutely rough, depending on luck. Are formula sheets provided for the math or mechanical portions?