• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

gtownjake

I had a similar testing experience, as had a few other people on here. Really frustrating that this step in an otherwise regimented process is so sketchy when you only get 3 tries.

My advice for the dichotic listening would be (as mentioned in another post I saw) leaning in the direction of the ear you should be listening to. If you don't already have it, spend the money on the ASTB app, and use those practice tests as well. The app paid for itself with the UAV section alone. I didn't miss a single one and had a reaction time around 1.3-1.5 if I remember correctly.

My overall testing experience was not good. Test ended up crashing on me about 7 times through the math and reading sections. Definitely threw me off and had an impact on my momentum and confidence. Each time it crashed I had to go get the test administrator for her to reboot the program. Took about 2-3 minutes to get going again each time it crashed.
See if you have a nearby NROTC detachment that will let you take it there. I'm enrolled in college so it was easy for me to take it at my school but it made a massive difference for me. Took it the first time at the recruiting station in a room with a half dozen other people, lots of noise and commotion, worn out stick for the practical portions, and had to drive over an hour during rush hour to get there, I scored a 4/4/4. Definitely prepped for my retake but took it at my school that's only a 5 minute commute. The test ran more smoothly and the stick was in better shape. Scored a 9/9/9. Multiple factors led me to scoring better but taking it on campus helped a lot.

Hello everyone! I'm glad I found this forum and this thread. There's a ton of helpful information on here.

I took the ASTB first attempt about a month ago. These were my results:

Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR): 61
Academic Qualifications Rating (AQR): 7
Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR): 5
Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (FOFAR): 6
LCAC Psychomotor Standard Score (LPSS): 48

I was told that the PFAR score needed to be at least a 6, then I would be in good shape. But from what I've seen on here, I don't see how that would be a very good score. Do the scores you need to get depend on how many people are trying for flight contracts at the specific time? Or maybe location?

I also have a question about the UAV section. Is there a way to visually tell which building to target without having to wait for the audio to finish telling you? The displayed response times ranged between 2 and 3.5 seconds I believe. I'm wanting to know if there's a way I can get them lower.

Does anyone know what the LCAC score should be to be competitive? I can't under what the heck that part is even about.

exNavyOffRec

Hello everyone! I'm glad I found this forum and this thread. There's a ton of helpful information on here.

I took the ASTB first attempt about a month ago. These were my results:

Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR): 61
Academic Qualifications Rating (AQR): 7
Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR): 5
Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (FOFAR): 6
LCAC Psychomotor Standard Score (LPSS): 48

I was told that the PFAR score needed to be at least a 6, then I would be in good shape. But from what I've seen on here, I don't see how that would be a very good score. Do the scores you need to get depend on how many people are trying for flight contracts at the specific time? Or maybe location?

I also have a question about the UAV section. Is there a way to visually tell which building to target without having to wait for the audio to finish telling you? The displayed response times ranged between 2 and 3.5 seconds I believe. I'm wanting to know if there's a way I can get them lower.

Does anyone know what the LCAC score should be to be competitive? I can't under what the heck that part is even about.
Are you going for a SNA spot with the USMC?

flight_hero

Greetings all ! I Retook my ASTBE on Tuesday and scored an 8/9/8. I ended up using Barons study guide along with Chatgpt to study by making about 200 practice problems for each section on High difficulty. When I would run across a problem I was not familiar with I would plug in the equation or the question into the query box and it would give me a detailed run down of how to solve each one. My degree is in Cybersecurity so while I did go through calculus and physics in my early days of university It had been awhile since I had looked at anything math or physics related. For the PBM I just practiced the compass directions with a set of flashcards and used https://jantzenx.github.io/ASTB/ which was made by someone on here to sharpen my reflexes for target tracking. I would say my tracking of the targets was slightly above average at best but I nailed every listening cue so I would say make sure you are listening more than tracking. With that said I don't game very much so my scores should be proof that anyone can do well on this test. I am going up for boards next month so hopefully I get picked up with these scores but we will see. I wish the rest of you the best of luck.

flight_hero

Thank you. What advice do you have for getting a better PFAR or FOFAR?
I scored a 9 on the PFAR and an 8 on the FOFAR. Do well on the math, MCT and the ANIT. You can use chatgpt to make practice problems for those sections. For the PBM cut out a square and label N/S/E/W from the scratch paper, and use that as your compass for the UAV section which will allow you to orient much faster and much more accurately. use this video for reference
. For the PBM tracking and listening section use https://jantzenx.github.io/ASTB/ its a software that was made by someone on here to help develop the dichotomous ability to track two targets while listening. for the emergency procedures at the very end just make a checklist for them and practice them for about 10 minutes until you memorize them and then take that section. I hope this helps.

jacobofortich

I scored a 9 on the PFAR and an 8 on the FOFAR. Do well on the math, MCT and the ANIT. You can use chatgpt to make practice problems for those sections. For the PBM cut out a square and label N/S/E/W from the scratch paper, and use that as your compass for the UAV section which will allow you to orient much faster and much more accurately. use this video for reference
. For the PBM tracking and listening section use https://jantzenx.github.io/ASTB/ its a software that was made by someone on here to help develop the dichotomous ability to track two targets while listening. for the emergency procedures at the very end just make a checklist for them and practice them for about 10 minutes until you memorize them and then take that section. I hope this helps.
Hey thanks for your reply. I missed 2 on the UAV portion. But I think what really hurt me was the simulator as well as the emergencies. First time every using one.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
What sections of the ASTB is the PFAR and FOFAR mainly graded on? I can't find any articles that break it down.

Honestly, most of the stuff you’ll find will be speculative on what is what. I don’t think the exact details on the breakdown of those sub categories have been disclosed. Speculation behind PFAR is ANIT+PBM, FOFAR mix of everything.

Best advice focus on everything because they’ll all factor into how you’re scored