• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
I ended up getting a 49 4 3 4 on it. Will definitely keep studying for it improving all scores but mainly the PFAR portion. I am kind of in a rush taking it again by October 31st to try to get selected for PLC in the summer but will look into getting a stick and throttle asap. Everything is looking great for me in terms of LOR's, PFT, and my overall package but my first score is not what I expected.
If it makes it any better, I got a 51 5/5/5 which is close to what you scored. The OAR score isn’t bad just try and raise it a few more points. The ASTB is obviously the huge factor when it comes to getting selected. I looked it up and I take it that the PLC is for Marines. I’m in the Navy so we go for OCS and I’m not sure if the board is different but for us a big thing they look at is ASTB score, GPA and interviews can play a huge factor. I’m not sure if the PFT and LORs weigh a lot but that would be a question for someone that is planning on doing that or has already gone through. If you have a laptop and can get ahold of a stick and throttle you can practice up and help build your muscle memory.

kingbrandon6367

Took the ASTB for the first time today, I am very discouraged by my first score and I am afraid of failing again when taking it for the 2nd time. I studied for a good three to four weeks extensively and thought I was doing good on the ANIT, knew everything leading up to it including all the flashcards linked on here, did every possible test, but ended up barely knowing anything on the actual test, and did terribly on the Stick and Throttle portion. Thus my PFAR score suffered. What are ways I could improve on these scores without breaking the bank? Or do I have to in order to succeed?
If you don't mind me asking what were your scores and what did you use to study for it?

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
I scored a 51 5/5/5 and used ASTB and ASTB Prep. They are apps on iPhone. There are other study guides but that’s what I used. I also have an OAR study guide book.

dav246

If it makes it any better, I got a 51 5/5/5 which is close to what you scored. The OAR score isn’t bad just try and raise it a few more points. The ASTB is obviously the huge factor when it comes to getting selected. I looked it up and I take it that the PLC is for Marines. I’m in the Navy so we go for OCS and I’m not sure if the board is different but for us a big thing they look at is ASTB score, GPA and interviews can play a huge factor. I’m not sure if the PFT and LORs weigh a lot but that would be a question for someone that is planning on doing that or has already gone through. If you have a laptop and can get ahold of a stick and throttle you can practice up and help build your muscle memory.
The PLC would be the Platoon Leaders Class that the Marine Corps offers to kids during the summer while they are in college, kind of a pipeline into OCS. I myself am just going straight into OCS with my bachelors degree, hoping to go the aviation path as well, but there seems to be nobody who knows much of anything about the version of the ASTB that Marines take, if there are any differences at all. Like do we take the whole thing, do our scores matter, is it pass/fail, etc. Nobody seems to know exactly.

aymanb1234

The PLC would be the Platoon Leaders Class that the Marine Corps offers to kids during the summer while they are in college, kind of a pipeline into OCS. I myself am just going straight into OCS with my bachelors degree, hoping to go the aviation path as well, but there seems to be nobody who knows much of anything about the version of the ASTB that Marines take, if there are any differences at all. Like do we take the whole thing, do our scores matter, is it pass/fail, etc. Nobody seems to know exactly.
Its the same ASTB that the Navy takes, everything is the same except that minimum scores are 4 for the AQR section and 6 for PFAR for the Marines so yes it does matter.

exNavyOffRec

I ended up getting a 49 4 3 4 on it. Will definitely keep studying for it improving all scores but mainly the PFAR portion. I am kind of in a rush taking it again by October 31st to try to get selected for PLC in the summer but will look into getting a stick and throttle asap. Everything is looking great for me in terms of LOR's, PFT, and my overall package but my first score is not what I expected.
The advantage you have is that for USMC as long as you have a qualifying score the big thing they look for is PFT, I grabbed several who were trying for USMC who had high ASTB scores but they had their PFT around 280 and couldn't get picked up.

exNavyOffRec

FIFY

exNavyOffRec

Do GPA and interviews not play a factor
GPA can negatively affect someones chances, but it has little positive affect. Interviews are rarely ever looked at unless a person has some issues that they need to find more out about an applicant, even then most people who get interviews for officer programs end up getting them from people that really don't hold much weight with board members.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
GPA can negatively affect someones chances, but it has little positive affect. Interviews are rarely ever looked at unless a person has some issues that they need to find more out about an applicant, even then most people who get interviews for officer programs end up getting them from people that really don't hold much weight with board members.
Got it! Just so I know, what plays the biggest factor for Navy OCS Pilot. Just ASTB score?

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
I’ve been using my Thrustmaster HOTAS One on the jantzen sim for a couple of weeks now and I’m now scoring 90’s on the hardest difficulty. Definitely worth it. If it does anything it gives you the muscle memory of how to react to the target as it jukes you out.
Which type of Thrustmaster? Is there a specific type?