• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
Hey guys, I just recently took the ASTB for my first time and was a bit discouraged but at the same time it gave me some insight on what was on the test and what to expect with the stick and throttle portion. Right off the jump I got a bit down on myself because I know I bombed the math section. People have said it's between 20-30 questions. I wasn't counting but I know that it kicked me out after about 15 questions and there were some pretty intense math problems. I got back into it with the reading comprehension and the mechanics where I was in until about 20-25 questions. I started the ASTB and the ANIT asked questions that I've never seen before. I was expecting some of the material that I've been studying for the past few months and only got a few of those questions. I would say I did so so but not what I was hoping for. The UAV and hearing section I believe that I killed that. The challenge was when it came to the stick and throttle. I was hoping to do better since I think that plays a huge factor on your ASTB scores but I'm still not 100% sure what calculates those scores. The thing I dislike about the stick and throttle is that the throttle I used at one point would not follow the plane on the screen to the top, it stopped like half way so I started yanking it to try and fix it. The stick isn't the best either because it is not mounted to the table so at times it will move. With all that being said I scored a 51 5/5/5. I wasn't completely bummed with the 51 because I told myself as long as I get in the 50s I'll be happy. It was the triple 5s that really crushed me because I know that those numbers are the minimum for Pilot and it has always been my dream to be a Naval Aviator. If anyone has any advice for material on improving my knowledge on the math portion and also if anyone knows exactly what tests weigh the most on your ASTB scores. I'm planning on taking my second attempt in January. I don't finish my degree until the end of February so I have time. Does anyone have information on the FY23 board schedule?

Hey guys, I just recently took the ASTB for my first time and was a bit discouraged but at the same time it gave me some insight on what was on the test and what to expect with the stick and throttle portion. Right off the jump I got a bit down on myself because I know I bombed the math section. People have said it's between 20-30 questions. I wasn't counting but I know that it kicked me out after about 15 questions and there were some pretty intense math problems. I got back into it with the reading comprehension and the mechanics where I was in until about 20-25 questions. I started the ASTB and the ANIT asked questions that I've never seen before. I was expecting some of the material that I've been studying for the past few months and only got a few of those questions. I would say I did so so but not what I was hoping for. The UAV and hearing section I believe that I killed that. The challenge was when it came to the stick and throttle. I was hoping to do better since I think that plays a huge factor on your ASTB scores but I'm still not 100% sure what calculates those scores. The thing I dislike about the stick and throttle is that the throttle I used at one point would not follow the plane on the screen to the top, it stopped like half way so I started yanking it to try and fix it. The stick isn't the best either because it is not mounted to the table so at times it will move. With all that being said I scored a 51 5/5/5. I wasn't completely bummed with the 51 because I told myself as long as I get in the 50s I'll be happy. It was the triple 5s that really crushed me because I know that those numbers are the minimum for Pilot and it has always been my dream to be a Naval Aviator. If anyone has any advice for material on improving my knowledge on the math portion and also if anyone knows exactly what tests weigh the most on your ASTB scores. I'm planning on taking my second attempt in January. I don't finish my degree until the end of February so I have time. Does anyone have information on the FY23 board schedule?
Next board is 22May23, submit by 7Apr23. Read through this thread, you will find a million posts about how to improve your scores. Work on math, aviation knowledge, and PBT with simulators.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
Next board is 22May23, submit by 7Apr23. Read through this thread, you will find a million posts about how to improve your scores. Work on math, aviation knowledge, and PBT with simulators.
Thank you! What material would you suggest studying for the math and aviation portion? Do you have any recommended studying tools?

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
For the people that have taken the ASTB and scored somewhat competitive. What is the major factors that will increase your scores. I scored a 51 5/5/5. I like the 51 but I need to get the 5s up to atleast 7 when I take the test again in January. Any recommendations on how I can improve those?

What was on the math like the questions and same for ANIT considering you said you never seen the questions I’m rather curious?

Next board is 22May23, submit by 7Apr23. Read through this thread, you will find a million posts about how to improve your scores. Work on math, aviation knowledge, and
Do you know the full board schedule for 2023? May would have been perfect, but Im slated to do eye surgery next month and that’s 6 month wait from what I heard for waiver, so it will be past deadline most likely.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
What was on the math like the questions and same for ANIT considering you said you never seen the questions I’m rather curious?
I reached the hard questions on math for a split second and it was some like a^2b^3 [a^5b^2c/b^7c^3] . I had no clue on where to start on solving that problem. So on the ANIT I got some aircraft functions but I’ve been told it is so broad that it could be anything. I didn’t perform the way I wanted to.

I reached the hard questions on math for a split second and it was some like a^2b^3 [a^5b^2c/b^7c^3] . I had no clue on where to start on solving that problem. So on the ANIT I got some aircraft functions but I’ve been told it is so broad that it could be anything. I didn’t perform the way I wanted to.
Got it, that’s helpful and good to know. For that math example which was hypothetical I’m assuming, what was the goal of the question what were you trying to find? Also lastly for you, did aviation history show up for in the anit and when you say aircraft functions do you have a particular hypothetical example

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
Got it, that’s helpful and good to know. For that math example which was hypothetical I’m assuming, what was the goal of the question what were you trying to find? Also lastly for you, did aviation history show up for in the anit and when you say aircraft functions do you have a particular hypothetical example
No that was the exact problem. All a, b, c to whatever the power and it was like simplify or something. I was a bit overwhelmed when I saw that and from there I did bad on the math portion. That is where I’ll be studying up for when I retake in January. Reading comp for me is cake, mechanics were exactly what I was studying for the past few months. So when I say AC functions it asked like what function controls yaw, which the answer would be Rudder. I got like 3 or 4 of the EAR, PRY, LLV questions if you know about that. Easy way to remember what function controls what and the direction. So if you don’t know about that it is Elevator Pitch Lateral. Aileron Roll Longitudinal, Rudder Yaw Vertical. Always remember that abbreviation it helped me a lot. Other than that I got a good bit of boat questions.

aymanb1234

Took the ASTB for the first time today, I am very discouraged by my first score and I am afraid of failing again when taking it for the 2nd time. I studied for a good three to four weeks extensively and thought I was doing good on the ANIT, knew everything leading up to it including all the flashcards linked on here, did every possible test, but ended up barely knowing anything on the actual test, and did terribly on the Stick and Throttle portion. Thus my PFAR score suffered. What are ways I could improve on these scores without breaking the bank? Or do I have to in order to succeed?

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
Took the ASTB for the first time today, I am very discouraged by my first score and I am afraid of failing again when taking it for the 2nd time. I studied for a good three to four weeks extensively and thought I was doing good on the ANIT, knew everything leading up to it including all the flashcards linked on here, did every possible test, but ended up barely knowing anything on the actual test, and did terribly on the Stick and Throttle portion. Thus my PFAR score suffered. What are ways I could improve on these scores without breaking the bank? Or do I have to in order to succeed?
Don’t worry bro, I had a similar experience and it bothered me the first few days but after talking with people it helped me get over it. Think of the first attempt as a trial run. You knew what to study but you didn’t know what was on the test. The same thing goes for the stick and throttle. Unless you had one at home, it would be very difficult to be good at it your first try. If you aren’t in any rush, take your time and study more. You can buy a stick and throttle and there’s a simulator that is similar to the portion on the test. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will try to help. What were your scores if you don’t mind me asking?

aymanb1234

Don’t worry bro, I had a similar experience and it bothered me the first few days but after talking with people it helped me get over it. Think of the first attempt as a trial run. You knew what to study but you didn’t know what was on the test. The same thing goes for the stick and throttle. Unless you had one at home, it would be very difficult to be good at it your first try. If you aren’t in any rush, take your time and study more. You can buy a stick and throttle and there’s a simulator that is similar to the portion on the test. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will try to help. What were your scores if you don’t mind me asking?
I ended up getting a 49 4 3 4 on it. Will definitely keep studying for it improving all scores but mainly the PFAR portion. I am kind of in a rush taking it again by October 31st to try to get selected for PLC in the summer but will look into getting a stick and throttle asap. Everything is looking great for me in terms of LOR's, PFT, and my overall package but my first score is not what I expected.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
I raised my PFAR from a 5 to a 7 from hammering the UAV and PBM. ANIT I studied a lot for also. Kyle’s Drive has everything ANIT related. I think I finished the ANIT section in like 4 minutes. UAV I missed 2 averaged 2 seconds or below. PBM well just focus!