• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Azorian

I just took the ASTB and I'm wondering if anyone else who has taken it can shed some light on the emergency procedures section.

Prior to this section, it gives you a chance to calibrate the E/I dials. If you turn them all the way clockwise, they go to 100% and all the way counterclockwise they go to 0%. In the emergency procedures section, some of the required actions are "turn the fuel/power all the way up or all the way down." I assumed that turning the dials clockwise would yield a positive reading and turning them counterclockwise would yield a negative reading, IE if I wanted to turn the fuel to max I would rotate the "E" dial clockwise. However, when I rotated the "E" dial all the way clockwise, the fuel gauge on the screen showed that I had turned it to the minimum setting. (The same was true for the I dial and the power gauge). I finally caught on for the last procedure and turned the dials the opposite directions (clockwise for negative and counterclockwise for positive) to resolve the emergency procedure, but I'm sure my score suffered because I missed the first two.

The joystick controls are obviously inverted on the Y axis, and I was expecting this, but for the dials to be inverted just doesn't make sense.

My recruiter reached out to the APEX people and they said that was the way it was supposed to be, but I am skeptical that turning the dial clockwise yielding a positive percent reading during the calibration and turning the dial in the same direction yields a negative reading in the actual test is the way it's supposed to be. Maybe that is the correct way, but if someone who has taken the test and remembers can confirm/disconfirm this I'd appreciate it.

Upwardbound

I just took the ASTB and I'm wondering if anyone else who has taken it can shed some light on the emergency procedures section.

Prior to this section, it gives you a chance to calibrate the E/I dials. If you turn them all the way clockwise, they go to 100% and all the way counterclockwise they go to 0%. In the emergency procedures section, some of the required actions are "turn the fuel/power all the way up or all the way down." I assumed that turning the dials clockwise would yield a positive reading and turning them counterclockwise would yield a negative reading, IE if I wanted to turn the fuel to max I would rotate the "E" dial clockwise. However, when I rotated the "E" dial all the way clockwise, the fuel gauge on the screen showed that I had turned it to the minimum setting. (The same was true for the I dial and the power gauge). I finally caught on for the last procedure and turned the dials the opposite directions (clockwise for negative and counterclockwise for positive) to resolve the emergency procedure, but I'm sure my score suffered because I missed the first two.

The joystick controls are obviously inverted on the Y axis, and I was expecting this, but for the dials to be inverted just doesn't make sense.

My recruiter reached out to the APEX people and they said that was the way it was supposed to be, but I am skeptical that turning the dial clockwise yielding a positive percent reading during the calibration and turning the dial in the same direction yields a negative reading in the actual test is the way it's supposed to be. Maybe that is the correct way, but if someone who has taken the test and remembers can confirm/disconfirm this I'd appreciate it.
Yes, part of the procedure is testing you on your understanding of the procedure by reading the gauges and not memorizing the buttons or dials. I thought it was inverted too but I looked at the dials and what they were doing.

Jacksa71

Last n final attempt. I blew it.

51 5/5/5

Test: a lot of questions I haven’t seen from my previous tests for the OAR. PBM, I made stupid mistakes that I wish I can take back. I do feel like I messed up more on this test than my previous ones though. Good luck to everyone else trying.

exNavyOffRec

Last n final attempt. I blew it.

51 5/5/5

Test: a lot of questions I haven’t seen from my previous tests for the OAR. PBM, I made stupid mistakes that I wish I can take back. I do feel like I messed up more on this test than my previous ones though. Good luck to everyone else trying.
You may be able to take advantage of the ISPP with the low PFAR and get to OCS that way.

Hicks35

Good evening y'all,

Hopefully I posted correctly, I've never used this website before.

I've been studying for the ASTB the past couple of weeks and am planning on taking it very soon. I'm in NROTC as a Marine Option and wish to pickup a flight contract. I'm currently a Junior studying General Business and my cumulative GPA is a 3.70. I have my PPL with 195 hours of flight time so I'm not too concerned about the aviation section of the exam.

I understand that as a Marine Option the minimums are not as high, but I'm wondering what the average Marine Option ASTB score is.

Thanks.

Upwardbound

Good evening y'all,

I've been studying for the ASTB the past couple of weeks and am planning on taking it very soon. I'm in NROTC as a Marine Option and wish to pickup a flight contract. I'm currently a Junior studying General Business and my cumulative GPA is a 3.70. I have my PPL with 195 hours of flight time so I'm not too concerned about the aviation section of the exam.

I understand that as a Marine Option the minimums are not as high, but I'm wondering what the average Marine Option ASTB score is.

Thanks.
I don't know for sure but I feel like the marine option is more competitive and does require higher scores

Good evening y'all,

Thanks.
I agree with forni. I believe marines have higher minimums the average looks to be about 7/8/8. Don't quote me on that.

Tumbleweed33

Good evening y'all,

Thanks.
That's great you have the flight experience but do not neglect studying all the material on this website going into it. Especially if you want to do marines.

piper56M

Hey guys,
I'm retaking the ASTB on Feb 4th. Previous score was a 54 5/4/5 (Dec 3, 2021).
My biggest worry is the PBM, particularly the emergency procedures section. I didn't pay too much attention to the side of the screen last time, but is it true that resolving the "emergency" before the warning pops up is the best way to go? is it also true that the direction of the knobs changes between calibration and the actual procedure?
I've been trying to analyze my scores, but it's frustrating of course because I can't be 100% certain where I was weak or strong. I think my math score was mediocre. I think being pretty slow on the UAV portion, and maybe not being proactive enough(?) in the emergency procedures section also may have factored into a lower score. Also, I got a few ANIT problems wrong, which definitely affected my AQR score.
The conclusion I've reached is that I need to be quicker/more accurate on the UAV portion, overall perform better in the PBM section, and really work on math and ANIT knowledge. Thoughts?

Upwardbound

Hey guys,
I'm retaking the ASTB on Feb 4th. Previous score was a 54 5/4/5 (Dec 3, 2021).
My biggest worry is the PBM, particularly the emergency procedures section. I didn't pay too much attention to the side of the screen last time, but is it true that resolving the "emergency" before the warning pops up is the best way to go? is it also true that the direction of the knobs changes between calibration and the actual procedure?
I've been trying to analyze my scores, but it's frustrating of course because I can't be 100% certain where I was weak or strong. I think my math score was mediocre. I think being pretty slow on the UAV portion, and maybe not being proactive enough(?) in the emergency procedures section also may have factored into a lower score. Also, I got a few ANIT problems wrong, which definitely affected my AQR score.
The conclusion I've reached is that I need to be quicker/more accurate on the UAV portion, overall perform better in the PBM section, and really work on math and ANIT knowledge. Thoughts?
As far as I know, math has to do with OAR not anything about flight performance stuff. I got a 48 OAR but scored decent with a 676. I took my time on the emergency procedure section and made sure I did it right. Practicing cards does help with UAV because it trains your mind. I finished all my UAV cards quick because I practiced at home.

telows

Hey guys,

I just got a 55 7/7/6 on the ASTB. I am currently in NROTC with a 3.8 GPA in Aeronautics. Should I retake the ASTB or are these scores competitive in off for SNA? Thanks

FloridaDad

As far as I know, math has to do with OAR not anything about flight performance stuff. I got a 48 OAR but scored decent with a 676. I took my time on the emergency procedure section and made sure I did it right. Practicing cards does help with UAV because it trains your mind. I finished all my UAV cards quick because I practiced at home.
Math does factor into your AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR. Out of the three OAR sections it has the biggest impact on your 3 ASTB scores.