• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Madz91199

Contributor
Okay here are my notes after taking it a second time:

Math Section:
  • probability
    • card and dice added together
    • even/odd side of two dice
  • roots
    • things like √216 = 6√6.
    • cubed root of 64
    • memorize these
  • radians and unit circle
    • converting radians to degrees
    • mine was 7pi/4 to equal 315
  • angles
    • triangle with an extended side filled with algebraic equations
  • simplifying fractions through addition
  • simplifying algebraic functions
Reading Section:
  • This part isn't terrible but I will say the practice tests have it nailed. It's a bunch of Navy jargon that is designed to be boring and trick you. Don't fall into absolute/definitively worded answers (words like always, never, etc.)
Mechanical Section:
  • This part, depending on your major, is either really difficult or really easy.
  • LOTS OF ELECTRIC problems
    • I had a problem asking me to identify a portion of a circuit (was a switch)
    • asked what an amplifier was
    • superconductivity occurs at what temperature
  • spring questions
    • had three springs on one side with a weight; three springs connected on the other with the same weight. What is the amount of force equal to?
  • a couple of pulley questions
    • what is the tension equal to on both sides with a weight in the middle
  • simple machine questions
    • where is the force greater when pushing on a fulcrum
    • which way will the fulcrum turn with two of the same forces just at different points on the fulcrum
    • torque is greatest at what point when pushing on a door
    • what is the equation for work?
  • know where liquid velocity is the greatest through pipes and openings
  • pressure
    • will the balloon stay the same size, grow, or shrink when submerged under 5m of water and brought back to the top
    • which one has the greatest atmospheric pressure applied (will be three different sized balloons)
  • which way will the wing move with air flowing from a certain direction
ANIT section:
  • Know plane parts and their function
    • what controls roll on a plane?
      • ailerons
  • What is the first step in tracking to a VOR?
  • Know parts inside the plane
    • asked what squawking a certain number meant with the IDENT function was associated with
  • pitot tube function
  • where is the island on an aircraft carrier
  • how did aircraft carriers change to accommodate larger aircraft like the F-14
  • How are planes launched from the carrier
  • what is the area the ship is controlled from called
    • control tower
  • I fly in my spare time, so a lot of this section was fairly easy for me. Ground school helped with this a lot, but don't feel pressured to buy one just for this. There is plenty of information that will cover this section well out there for free.
Spatial Apperception Section:
  • use the compass trick
    • Compass Trick
    • Headings: North is 360, south is 180, east is 90, west is 270
      • write these on your compass. Trust me it will help
  • study the flashcards
  • This part isn't super tricky; just pay attention, breathe, and aim for accuracy and speed.
NAFTI Section:
  • These are going to be weird questions but answer them to the best of your ability. There's no way to prepare for it and honestly, use it as a nice relaxed period before preparing for the PBM stage.
PBM Section:
  • Dichotic listening:
    • lean into the ear they want you to listen to or take one side off. It will be a mixture of letters and numbers. It will never change speed and comes pretty patterned so it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
  • The first section of flying:
    • This is the throttle portion that will have you tracking a plane on the left side of the screen. The throttle is extremely touchy and even the slightest movement will have it shifting. This is the easiest section of the flight portion.
  • Second section of flying:
    • introduces the stick that has you tracking on the right side of the screen. moves a lot faster than the first section.
    • inverted like flying is
      • push forward: dive
      • pull back: climb
  • third section:
    • adds both with the introduction of dichotic listening
    • I have heard accuracy for the listening portion grants a higher score
  • Fourth section:
    • emergency section with both hands
    • WRITE DOWN THE EMERGENCY PROCEDURES
      • there will be three controlled by different buttons on the throttle
I will attach every single thing that I have used to my google drive. Please let me know if there is anything that needs to be clarified, added to, or changed! A lot of this is a compilation of all the gouge from Air Warriors and I am in no way claiming them to be my own personal works. They should all still be under the same names as on here.

My Personal Google Drive
I try to update this pretty regularly, so I will add everything I don't have with me to it then.

I was told that the UAV section had a ton to do with your PFAR score which makes sense because that was my weakest part of my test and my lowest score was my PFAR. If you're wrong you're making me really nervous hahaha
I could be wrong, but based off my experience on the test and how the scores correlated thats the conclusion i've come to. Also part of NFO's job is navigation so I'm assuming this is simulating part of their job. Im sure it plays into PFAR too though

FloridaDad

So question for some of you out there who like to analyze scores.

On my first attempt I scored a 65 7/6/7. I've noticed that the majority of people on here with OAR scores in the 60's like me scored mostly 8's with some 9's on the other sections (very few 6's if any). This tells me that my score was a bit of an outlier and I'd like to figure out why. I think it may be due to me absolutely crushing reading and mechanics, but struggling on math comparatively. I know that the three OAR sections count equally for your OAR score but math is significantly more important for your ASTB sub-scores. I also missed a number of questions on the spacial/UAV section which would explain the lower PFAR score. I feel like I did pretty well on the ANIT section but obviously can't confirm that and I'm still reviewing it.

Does this make sense to everyone? The message I took from that score was that I need to shore up my math some more, use the compass trick, and try to improve a bit on the PBM section. I feel like with a decent math improvement and not screwing up the UAV section again I should be able to shoot for 8's. Anyone have any insights or thoughts?

Torchic

Has anyone used the ASTB prep app for study material and done well on the ASTB?
If you’re talking about the one that looks like an Ensign, I have used it. I went from a 28 (first attempt no one told me what to expect even the navy person on the phone didn’t know a plot about the test) to a 40 (second attempt, reading though was very hard and I may have missed a few too many on the mechanics).

Yoda11

Hello everyone! I’m a ROTC student with a 4.0 in engineering. Got a 9/6/9 on my first attempt, first and foremost asking to see if people think I need to retake because of the 6 (I want to go for SNA). The simulator part of the PBM did not go well for me so any thoughts on how to improve that besides buying a HOTAS would be appreciated as well.

Also, for future reference, I felt really sick after the reading section and tried to step out for a second. I got locked out and my proctor had to call the guy at headquarters so... maybe don’t do that if you can help it.

Here are my notes on the other sections:

Math:
  • Special triangles (30/60/90 and 45/45/90)
  • Simple interest
  • Probability (simple combinatorics, dice)
  • Some pretty involved long division and multiplication; just make sure you can do it pretty quickly
  • Logs
  • Exponents (whole numbers and decimals)
  • Volume of a rectangular box
Reading:
  • Boring, didn’t study for this at all but as mentioned before look out for nuances in words in terms of absolutes (should/shall/can/must/always/never)
Physics
  • Fixed/moveable pulleys
  • AC/DC current
  • What the heat expansion of a flat object looks like (guessed)
  • String tension
  • Bernoulli’s principle)
  • You pull on a yo-yo attached to a string. What way does it roll?
ANIT
  • Temperature of carburetor icing
  • Control surfaces on a plane
  • How airspeed is measured
  • At least three question on how a plane moves in a certain direction/about an axis
  • A lot of stuff from Popeye’s gauge
  • No aviation history
  • I got kicked out pretty early on this
NAFTI
  • I used this section to try calming down and breathing
  • Also tried to stick to a few personality traits (law abiding, confident, adaptive) and not contradict my previous responses
PBM
  • This section definitely ruined my score. I never played video games and thought the inverted axis might be more intuitive for me since I had no muscle memory to go off of but it was not at all. Dichotic listening was okay but it was all downhill from there. I also don’t think I did the emergency procedures correctly even though I had them written down because the screen turned red after a few seconds but I’m not sure. Not really sure what to say about this other than if you have experience with video games that might be helpful?

As far as studying the other stuff though, I started with Barron’s and then used a lot of people’s drives. Barron’s may not be as hard as the test but it’s a good review of the basics and gives you a starting point especially for the math and ANIT. I also thought the scope of the Barron’s mechanics was pretty accurate.

I then read and took notes on all of the highlighted FAA chapters from Kyle’s drive which was incredibly helpful. I cannot recommend this enough. It’s long but their explanations were very concise and helpful. Definitely take notes as you go for memory.

After that I used Kyle’s Drive, Sam’s Drive, and the Marine Gauge for practice problems. Khan Academy was good for quick reviews of topics like probability and buoyancy.

For ANIT know everything in Popeye’s Gauge (in Kyle’s drive) and do as many quizlets as you can find from this forum (especially the Cram and Proprofs ones that have been linked often). You have to know a little of everything and since questions repeat it’s also smart to have answers from the gauge memorized. I also watched some documentaries and movies (The Right Stuff and Apollo 13 were good) as a break from everything else.

Finally- make your own, PHYSICAL flash cards for everything you’re struggling to remember. I ended up with probably 400 between ANIT and mechanical and I did them first thing every morning. This was invaluable for memorizing the vast amount of stuff they expect you to know.

Overall a little disappointed. I probably wouldn’t have retaken if I’d even gotten a 7 on the PFAR but I don’t feel great about the 6.
Like I mentioned, if anyone with experience has thoughts I’d really appreciate them.

FloridaDad

Hello everyone! I’m a ROTC student with a 4.0 in engineering. Got a 9/6/9 on my first attempt, first and foremost asking to see if people think I need to retake because of the 6 (I want to go for SNA). The simulator part of the PBM did not go well for me so any thoughts on how to improve that besides buying a HOTAS would be appreciated as well.

Also, for future reference, I felt really sick after the reading section and tried to step out for a second. I got locked out and my proctor had to call the guy at headquarters so... maybe don’t do that if you can help it.

Math:
  • Simple interest
  • Some pretty involved long division and multiplication; just make sure you can do it pretty quickly
  • Logs
Reading:
  • Boring, didn’t study for this at all but as mentioned before look out for nuances in words in terms of absolutes (should/shall/can/must/always/never)
Physics
  • Fixed/moveable pulleys
  • AC/DC current
  • String tension
  • Bernoulli’s principle)
ANIT
  • At least three question on how a plane moves in a certain direction/about an axis
  • No aviation history
NAFTI
  • Also tried to stick to a few personality traits (law abiding, confident, adaptive) and not contradict my previous responses
PBM
  • This section definitely ruined my score. I never played video games and thought the inverted axis might be more intuitive for me since I had no muscle memory to go off of but it was not at all. Dichotic listening was okay but it was all downhill from there. I also don’t think I did the emergency procedures correctly even though I had them written down because the screen turned red after a few seconds but I’m not sure. Not really sure what to say about this other than if you have experience with video games that might be helpful?

As far as studying the other stuff though, I started with Barron’s and then used a lot of people’s drives. Barron’s may not be as hard as the test but it’s a good review of the basics and gives you a starting point especially for the math and ANIT. I also thought the scope of the Barron’s mechanics was pretty accurate.

I then read and took notes on all of the highlighted FAA chapters from Kyle’s drive which was incredibly helpful. I cannot recommend this enough. It’s long but their explanations were very concise and helpful. Definitely take notes as you go for memory.

After that I used Kyle’s Drive, Sam’s Drive, and the Marine Gauge for practice problems. Khan Academy was good for quick reviews of topics like probability and buoyancy.

For ANIT know everything in Popeye’s Gauge (in Kyle’s drive) and do as many quizlets as you can find from this forum (especially the Cram and Proprofs ones that have been linked often). You have to know a little of everything and since questions repeat it’s also smart to have answers from the gauge memorized. I also watched some documentaries and movies (The Right Stuff and Apollo 13 were good) as a break from everything else.

Finally- make your own, PHYSICAL flash cards for everything you’re struggling to remember. I ended up with probably 400 between ANIT and mechanical and I did them first thing every morning. This was invaluable for memorizing the vast amount of stuff they expect you to know.

Overall a little disappointed. I probably wouldn’t have retaken if I’d even gotten a 7 on the PFAR but I don’t feel great about the 6.
Like I mentioned, if anyone with experience has thoughts I’d really appreciate them.
Sounds like you really did great on the academic part! How did the UAV section go for you? As far as the PBM section, I don’t have much advice on the listening part as being a musician made that pretty easy, but in regards to the stick and throttle part the sim on here is really good and helps you get used to following the target around and tracking two targets at once. You don’t need an expensive stick and throttle for it since the calibration and sensitivity won’t match the real test anyways, but if you can get a cheap joystick or borrow one from a friend it could really help with the muscle memory. You‘ve got the academics so maybe join us in video game land?

Thanks for sharing your study advice with us! The more people we have talking about their experience and study habits the better! And good luck on a retake and raising that 6! I’m in the same boat as my math was my weakest OAR section and I messed up bad on the UAV section so I’m retaking to raise that score up! Really hoping for an 8! (9 would be nice obviously hahaha)

flatspinturkeyb

69 9/9/9 GPA: b4d

Math:
  • Simple interest
  • Logs
Reading:
Physics
  • Fixed/moveable pulleys
  • AC/DC current
  • String tension
  • Bernoulli’s principle)
ANIT
  • No aviation history
NAFTI
PBM

Hey Yoda, sounds like a you did great. What was your OAR score?

Yoda11

Sounds like you really did great on the academic part! How did the UAV section go for you? As far as the PBM section, I don’t have much advice on the listening part as being a musician made that pretty easy, but in regards to the stick and throttle part the sim on here is really good and helps you get used to following the target around and tracking two targets at once. You don’t need an expensive stick and throttle for it since the calibration and sensitivity won’t match the real test anyways, but if you can get a cheap joystick or borrow one from a friend it could really help with the muscle memory. You‘ve got the academics so maybe join us in video game land?

Thanks for sharing your study advice with us! The more people we have talking about their experience and study habits the better! And good luck on a retake and raising that 6! I’m in the same boat as my math was my weakest OAR section and I messed up bad on the UAV section so I’m retaking to raise that score up! Really hoping for an 8! (9 would be nice obviously hahaha)
I got two wrong on the UAV but my answers were all around one second so I think that helped. I also think the listening went okay, joystick was probably the worst part. Thanks for the recommendations! I practiced the UAV flashcards twice every day and would definitely recommend doing it when you have five minutes here and there. As far as the math doing as many practice problems as I could get my hands on from the gauges/Barron's was super helpful. Good luck on your retake!

Hey Yoda, sounds like a you did great. What was your OAR score?
My OAR was a 78 but to my understanding I don't think it matters as much for ROTC applicants?

flatspinturkeyb

69 9/9/9 GPA: b4d
I got two wrong on the UAV but my answers were all around one second so I think that helped. I also think the listening went okay, joystick was probably the worst part. Thanks for the recommendations! I practiced the UAV flashcards twice every day and would definitely recommend doing it when you have five minutes here and there. As far as the math doing as many practice problems as I could get my hands on from the gauges/Barron's was super helpful. Good luck on your retake!

My OAR was a 78 but to my understanding I don't think it matters as much for ROTC applicants?
Wow. OK then I believe your 4.0 Engineering GPA.

FloridaDad

Wow that’s an insanely high OAR. Ya man just join the gamers haha. I’ve been using the UAV sim in the iPhone app and I’m switching to doing the paper compass trick

Upwardbound

Okay Guys 48, 6,7,6

I messed up a little early on the OAR as I was really frustrated that I took this test in the Naval MEPs office. The senior chief and the girl working there popped lots of jokes and loved to laugh as loud as possible. I feel I made a few simple mistakes in my calculations due to these blunt distractions. It was quite unprofessional. I would have rather they stuffed me in a quiet broom closet.

I understand that flight seats are hard to get and the next board is in July. I am thinking of retesting in a month but my recruiter says I should just submit a packet. He says my scores should be good enough. What kind of scores are currently being accepted? do you guys have any idea on my performance? I definitely think I could improve my OAR in a better setting but it supposedly isn't a big deal.

Questions I came upon were,

Math:
Polynomial and binomial division and simplification: I have to solve for X or simplify the expression
Dice probability
word problems of accumulated interest
Logs (Computer found my weakness and exploited it with multiple logs)
Volume of a cylinder
Basic algebra question, solve for X
Area or a triangle given the base and height

Reading:
It is pretty straight forward. It's about taking away the correct meaning of the statement. (I was dealing with very distracting people even during this section).

Physics:
Two electrical questions
calculating newtons a man needs to steadily pull up a weighed block with pulleys
Metal expansion: A question about " a metal block is made out of two different metals stacked on top of each other. If metal A is heated up, how will the block bend?"
Pressure questions: A closed container is heated up if the heat increases and the pressure increases what happens to the volume?

Pulleys
Fulcrum question
A yoyo question

Aviation/nautical:
Deck questions
what lifts or hoists cables or/and anchors? It's a capstan (old fashioned sailing rigs used these)
what unit is used to measure distance in aviation? knots or miles
What is a movable flight system? wing, fuselage, elevator, empennage
This part I flew through and did not pay enough attention to the questions to remember them. (sorry guys)

The rest of the test I did well on. During the procedural part, I practiced the procedures in my head and wrote them down. I built a little muscle memory before each part. I felt I did alright with all of these considering their impossibilities.

Last edited:

FloridaDad

Okay Guys 48, 6,7,6

I messed up a little early on the OAR as I was really frustrated that I took this test in the Naval MEPs office. The senior chief and the girl working there popped lots of jokes and loved to laugh as loud as possible. I feel I made a few simple mistakes in my calculations due to these blunt distractions. It was quite unprofessional. I would have rather they stuffed me in a quiet broom closet.

I understand that flight seats are hard to get and the next board is in July. I am thinking of retesting in a month but my recruiter says I should just submit a packet. He says my scores should be good enough. What kind of scores are currently being accepted? do you guys have any idea on my performance? I definitely think I could improve my OAR in a better setting but it supposedly isn't a big deal.

Questions I came upon were,

Math:
Polynomial and binomial division and simplification: I have to solve for X or simplify the expression
Dice probability
word problems of accumulated interest
Logs (Computer found my weakness and exploited it with multiple logs)
Volume of a cylinder
Basic algebra question, solve for X
Area or a triangle given the base and height

Reading:
It is pretty straight forward. It's about taking away the correct meaning of the statement. (I was dealing with very distracting people even during this section).

Physics:
Two electrical questions
calculating newtons a man needs to steadily pull up a weighed block with pulleys
Metal expansion: A question about " a metal block is made out of two different metals stacked on top of each other. If metal A is heated up, how will the block bend?"
Pressure questions: A closed container is heated up if the heat increases and the pressure increases what happens to the volume?

Pulleys
Fulcrum question
A yoyo question

Aviation/nautical:
Deck questions
what lifts or hoists cables or/and anchors? It's a capstan (old fashioned sailing rigs used these)
what unit is used to measure distance in aviation? knots or miles
What is a movable flight system? wing, fuselage, elevator, empennage
This part I flew through and did not pay enough attention to the questions to remember them. (sorry guys)

The rest of the test I did well on. During the procedural part, I practiced the procedures in my head and wrote them down. I built a little muscle memory before each part. I felt I did alright with all of these considering their impossibilities.
That's really uncool that they were acting that way. I was stuffed in a literal storage closet for my exam and that worked fine for me haha. The next board is supposed to be in May actually but may end up being cancelled. What's your GPA and major?

Jstalz

That's really uncool that they were acting that way. I was stuffed in a literal storage closet for my exam and that worked fine for me haha. The next board is supposed to be in May actually but may end up being cancelled. What's your GPA and major?
I’ve definitely heard from others that they had to take the ASTB in a similarly loud/distracting environment in their OR’s office. I was lucky in that my recruiter’s office had a whole office just devoted to the computer for ASTB. It was about the size of my dorm room last year haha.