• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Triumph_MAC

So I took my test about 2 weeks ago, and have since been in and crawled out of a pit of despair, and I am retaking on April 4th and have come here today to write about my experience with the test and my scores, and then for the next two weeks continue to study at a different pace. I want to thank everyone who contribute to this forum, it was a goldmine.

I scored a 44/4/5/4. which was slightly above the min. for SWO, or intelligence (considering you made a 'B' or higher in college algebra on your transcript)

I had been studying for about 3 months - probably 30-40 hours a week. Which I personally think was my mistake - I over studied. My sister reminded me she did the same thing when she took her first attempt at her Certified Public Accounting exam - she over studied and did bad, the next time around she did great.

I was expecting logarithms, matrices, higher function algebra, DRT involving missing variables - all the things people say they were encountering.

I was looking at calculating difficult pressure equations, rate flow equations, torque calculations, MA, "Height at this point", PE at this point, calculating using bernoulli's formula to "make sure I got the concept down" like most on here say. Just all kinds of crazy deep stuff that totally ruined me on test day because it wasn't asked in those ways/ was not on the test.

MATH - What happened was I overthought everything. I was rethinking my ability to divide certain numbers, stopping to question my multiplication skills even... (for something like 349 x 17 or 0.19 x 1.03), rethinking the rules of exponents and fractions and fractional exponents. As many have said, now that I look back, the steps for mathematics portion really are so simple. But you have put it in your mind that this test will dictate the future of your career, so you really, REALLY think about everything you do on it. I would say just be sure of what you remember.

READING - My, my, my.... you need to be analytical and be sure of what the paragraph is portraying, saying, implying and what it is not.

"The Secretary of the Navy is in charge of the Assistant Secretaries of the Navy..."

• The SON is to dispense ALL duties carried out by ranks above commander?
  • The ASON are responsible for discharging all duties up to?
  • The ASON are there to assist the SON perform it's duty?
  • The SON dispatches duties for the ASON to assimilate of team of navy personnel to perform duties.
MECH- Not so difficult. Not as deep as I was looking into it, again, I was studying like it was a chemistry and physics final. They want you to know how simple machines work, concepts of force mass and resistances, why do the things work.

ANIT - not so hard. The questions were word for word from this attached ANIT guide.

UAV - just practice those directions, because the layout on the test is different from flashcards and will slightly* throw you off. The joystick and lever.... Just got to figure out how to practice aiming inverted. Also, do not be discouraged during this portion- I think it tries to see how you handle discouragement alongside multitasking - do you remain focused and on task or do you let go and let the targets get away and accept defeat? You have to stay ON IT, the entire last 30 minutes... I honestly let the surroundings get to me at one point - for a part of it my administrator watched me and I was just thinking to myself ( I look so stupid trying to use this cheap shit, she's looking at me like I'm an idiot, I already failed it) all that through my head in 3 seconds.

So, NOT an excuse because I don't like those, these were my MISTAKES during the test : DO NOT OVERTHINK/ OR QUESTION YOUR ABILITIES. It will only slow you down and sap your "winning energy"
I found myself doing the same thing. I’m scheduled for the 2nd and have been putting in copious amounts of time on math, to the point when I go to bed I think about math. The last week I’ve been getting frustrated with the most basic problems. This week I’ve only been focusing on some ANIT flash cards and the flight simulator game that someone had posted a while back. Good luck on your retake, I’m sure you’ll do exceptionally better this next time around.

villo0692

also...does this mean that the Navy is in the need for pilots/nfos? why lower the scores? it seems that they were getting more than enough applicants

Triumph_MAC

also...does this mean that the Navy is in the need for pilots/nfos? why lower the scores? it seems that they were getting more than enough applicants
I think this is just a way to open the pool of applicants. There was another thread that mentioned this same thing. One guy mentioned that the accessions score may change, but the standards for graduating flight school won’t. In other words, this may cause higher attrition rates.

villo0692

I think this is just a way to open the pool of applicants. There was another thread that mentioned this same thing. One guy mentioned that the accessions score may change, but the standards for graduating flight school won’t. In other words, this may cause higher attrition rates.
but I mean, wouldn't this go precisely against what the ASTB's objective is? which is ensure that SNAs and SNFOs are more likely to complete flight school since its so expensive? idk but higher attrition rates would mean more money spent on people who didn't make it all the way...I know that I am speaking way out of my paygrade on this one, but I just cannot see the logic behind it

Ghost SWO

Contributor
but I mean, wouldn't this go precisely against what the ASTB's objective is? which is ensure that SNAs and SNFOs are more likely to complete flight school since its so expensive? idk but higher attrition rates would mean more money spent on people who didn't make it all the way...I know that I am speaking way out of my paygrade on this one, but I just cannot see the logic behind it
Originally it was 4/5/5 so it's really just returning to an older cutoff.

Most of the attrition in flight school is due to DOR, not academic failure. I would argue slightly lower scores won't effect academic failures all that much because they're still going to select the most qualified which goes back to higher ASTB scores.

exNavyOffRec

This really won't change much at all in the way of selections, when it was 4/5/5 before when you would look at the stats of those selected when it comes to PFAR/FOFAR those with 9 or 8 were almost always selected, those with 7 were 50/50, those with 6 were once in a while and those with a 5 were rarely, so rare in fact we couldn't find a person that had a 5 that was selected at my NRD in 6 years.

This does not mean that those with a 5 could not or have not been selected it is just rare.

What I did notice this adds is this part (unless I missed it in the last PA) - d.Active or Reserve officers,or former officers of other branches of the armed services are not eligible to apply for the officer candidate programunder this Program Authorization.

Anyone had their test crash during the exam? I ended up missing time due to frequent freezes/crashes and the recruiter contacted someone to reset but got reject. I even had to have him come in every time it crashed. That marks the second attempt sadly and I'm just kind of beat. I studied my ass off but lost time and ended up not finishing any section. Anyone ever been in this position?

exNavyOffRec

Anyone had their test crash during the exam? I ended up missing time due to frequent freezes/crashes and the recruiter contacted someone to reset but got reject. I even had to have him come in every time it crashed. That marks the second attempt sadly and I'm just kind of beat. I studied my ass off but lost time and ended up not finishing any section. Anyone ever been in this position?

When the system crashes you do not lose time, it will start you back up and you get the same time remaining you had when it crashed. There is a maximum time allotted but that does not mean that you will get the maximum time as the test is adaptive, so when it determines you have plateaued it will end the section.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Yes, I was in a similar situation unfortunately.

When I took the ASTB the first time, the computer was forcing restarts for updates every 15 minutes. It ended up forcing a restart at least 6 times during the test. Somehow the progress on the test was saved each time but I think it hindered my ability to focus since it took about 10 minutes to completely restart and update before I could sit down and pick up where I left off. I think it lowered my ability to score higher the first time, but there's always another shot if you need it... I did better the second time lol