• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

tominator006

Hey guys, just took my first ASTB. Score 43 5/7/5. (96 on AF AFOQT test).

I feel like the test was super short. Math was less than 15 questions. Same with Mechanical and Aviation/Nautical. All took way less than the allotted time. Hardly saw any questions I studied for via the various tools in this forum.

I feel like I missed something/messed it up? Do you get more questions if you are getting questions right? Did i simply not get enough questions right?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

NevarYalnal

I feel like the test was super short. Math was less than 15 questions. Same with Mechanical and Aviation/Nautical. All took way less than the allotted time. Hardly saw any questions I studied for via the various tools in this forum.

I feel like I missed something/messed it up? Do you get more questions if you are getting questions right? Did i simply not get enough questions right?

it's an adaptive test so if the exam felt it has properly gauged your level of ability then it will end the section early. would need you to provide more information in terms of what type of problems you were seeing in order to see if you were having trouble with the sections like math.

tominator006

PS

I had my UAV card and only missed like 2 (most answered within 1-3 seconds)

Also felt pretty good with the stick and throttle.

tominator006

it's an adaptive test so if the exam felt it has properly gauged your level of ability then it will end the section early. would need you to provide more information in terms of what type of problems you were seeing in order to see if you were having trouble with the sections like math.

I'm trying to remember some questions. I know I had some dice questions. distance questions and log questions on math.

Mechanical had a spring questions. a ping pong ball in water center of gravity question and like a water pressure question.

Hard to remember haha

Ghost SWO

Contributor

No problem with finishing early, but if you had very few questions and they were all pretty basic I'd venture to say you were getting several of them wrong. The test will see how much you know so if you're answering correctly the test will throw more questions at you with increasing difficulty. If you're 20+ questions into a section and the questions are making your brain melt I'd take that as a good sign. Finishing a section with 15 questions, probably a bad sign.

villo0692

I agree....when I took the math portion, it kept getting harder and harder every time, and I didn't finish, ran out of time...had decent scores I dare say

Hokie2021

I had a similar experience when I took the test last week. The only section that I had 20+ questions on was the Reading Comprehension, while the rest seemed to be around 12-15 questions. During the Math Skills Test my questions never seemed to increase in difficulty. I saw a mixture of algebra and probability problems with no logs, drt, or weighted averages. Honestly, I have no clue when it comes to your questions. Most people seem to agree that getting a higher number of questions that are increasing in difficulty, typically signals that you are doing well on the test. While my scores are certainly nowhere near the best, they really aren't terrible either. On the good side, at least you met the minimum qualifications to submit for the next board (granted you are applying SNA). I would give it a shot and go from there.

Oshun8235

Barons was the only book I used and did well. I also highly recommend the Directional Orientation flashcards here and if you have a joystick the tracking test here here.

There are a bunch of other great resources but the information is relatively basic, I doubt there's a lot of different info on each book or source. In my opinion it just comes down to the time you spend learning that material and getting comfortable enough with it to answer it in the testing environment
I couldn't agree with you more!

alacey6

Does anyone have a good link to some math questions? I have used up about everything I can find online and a few books. Did alright on math just looking to improve

NevarYalnal

Does anyone have a good link to some math questions? I have used up about everything I can find online and a few books. Did alright on math just looking to improve
did you go through everything in this thread? there's packets and packets of math questions you can practice in the google drive.

Toadbob

So I took my test about 2 weeks ago, and have since been in and crawled out of a pit of despair, and I am retaking on April 4th and have come here today to write about my experience with the test and my scores, and then for the next two weeks continue to study at a different pace. I want to thank everyone who contribute to this forum, it was a goldmine.

I scored a 44/4/5/4. which was slightly above the min. for SWO, or intelligence (considering you made a 'B' or higher in college algebra on your transcript)

I had been studying for about 3 months - probably 30-40 hours a week. Which I personally think was my mistake - I over studied. My sister reminded me she did the same thing when she took her first attempt at her Certified Public Accounting exam - she over studied and did bad, the next time around she did great.

I was expecting logarithms, matrices, higher function algebra, DRT involving missing variables - all the things people say they were encountering.

I was looking at calculating difficult pressure equations, rate flow equations, torque calculations, MA, "Height at this point", PE at this point, calculating using bernoulli's formula to "make sure I got the concept down" like most on here say. Just all kinds of crazy deep stuff that totally ruined me on test day because it wasn't asked in those ways/ was not on the test.

MATH - What happened was I overthought everything. I was rethinking my ability to divide certain numbers, stopping to question my multiplication skills even... (for something like 349 x 17 or 0.19 x 1.03), rethinking the rules of exponents and fractions and fractional exponents. As many have said, now that I look back, the steps for mathematics portion really are so simple. But you have put it in your mind that this test will dictate the future of your career, so you really, REALLY think about everything you do on it. I would say just be sure of what you remember.

READING - My, my, my.... you need to be analytical and be sure of what the paragraph is portraying, saying, implying and what it is not.

"The Secretary of the Navy is in charge of the Assistant Secretaries of the Navy..."

• The SON is to dispense ALL duties carried out by ranks above commander?
  • The ASON are responsible for discharging all duties up to?
  • The ASON are there to assist the SON perform it's duty?
  • The SON dispatches duties for the ASON to assimilate of team of navy personnel to perform duties.

MECH- Not so difficult. Not as deep as I was looking into it, again, I was studying like it was a chemistry and physics final. They want you to know how simple machines work, concepts of force mass and resistances, why do the things work.

ANIT - not so hard. The questions were word for word from this attached ANIT guide.

UAV - just practice those directions, because the layout on the test is different from flashcards and will slightly* throw you off. The joystick and lever.... Just got to figure out how to practice aiming inverted. Also, do not be discouraged during this portion- I think it tries to see how you handle discouragement alongside multitasking - do you remain focused and on task or do you let go and let the targets get away and accept defeat? You have to stay ON IT, the entire last 30 minutes... I honestly let the surroundings get to me at one point - for a part of it my administrator watched me and I was just thinking to myself ( I look so stupid trying to use this cheap shit, she's looking at me like I'm an idiot, I already failed it) all that through my head in 3 seconds.

So, NOT an excuse because I don't like those, these were my MISTAKES during the test : DO NOT OVERTHINK/ OR QUESTION YOUR ABILITIES. It will only slow you down and sap your "winning energy"

Attachments

• ANIT Practice Test 2.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 119

villo0692

This is the main take-away. They really aren't trying to trick you and the more you overthink a question the more you're going to miss.
especially in the math portion....as an engineer I was thinking integrals and shit when I took it, because that's the way my mind operates at this point.....which made me spend more time in little things...which with an adaptive test is no bueno.....I'd say focus on doing all of these precalc/trig operations right, but also fast

Oshun8235

So I took my test about 2 weeks ago, and have since been in and crawled out of a pit of despair, and I am retaking on April 4th and have come here today to write about my experience with the test and my scores, and then for the next two weeks continue to study at a different pace. I want to thank everyone who contribute to this forum, it was a goldmine.

I scored a 44/4/5/4. which was slightly above the min. for SWO, or intelligence (considering you made a 'B' or higher in college algebra on your transcript)

I had been studying for about 3 months - probably 30-40 hours a week. Which I personally think was my mistake - I over studied. My sister reminded me she did the same thing when she took her first attempt at her Certified Public Accounting exam - she over studied and did bad, the next time around she did great.

I was expecting logarithms, matrices, higher function algebra, DRT involving missing variables - all the things people say they were encountering.

I was looking at calculating difficult pressure equations, rate flow equations, torque calculations, MA, "Height at this point", PE at this point, calculating using bernoulli's formula to "make sure I got the concept down" like most on here say. Just all kinds of crazy deep stuff that totally ruined me on test day because it wasn't asked in those ways/ was not on the test.

MATH - What happened was I overthought everything. I was rethinking my ability to divide certain numbers, stopping to question my multiplication skills even... (for something like 349 x 17 or 0.19 x 1.03), rethinking the rules of exponents and fractions and fractional exponents. As many have said, now that I look back, the steps for mathematics portion really are so simple. But you have put it in your mind that this test will dictate the future of your career, so you really, REALLY think about everything you do on it. I would say just be sure of what you remember.

READING - My, my, my.... you need to be analytical and be sure of what the paragraph is portraying, saying, implying and what it is not.

"The Secretary of the Navy is in charge of the Assistant Secretaries of the Navy..."

• The SON is to dispense ALL duties carried out by ranks above commander?
  • The ASON are responsible for discharging all duties up to?
  • The ASON are there to assist the SON perform it's duty?
  • The SON dispatches duties for the ASON to assimilate of team of navy personnel to perform duties.
MECH- Not so difficult. Not as deep as I was looking into it, again, I was studying like it was a chemistry and physics final. They want you to know how simple machines work, concepts of force mass and resistances, why do the things work.

ANIT - not so hard. The questions were word for word from this attached ANIT guide.

UAV - just practice those directions, because the layout on the test is different from flashcards and will slightly* throw you off. The joystick and lever.... Just got to figure out how to practice aiming inverted. Also, do not be discouraged during this portion- I think it tries to see how you handle discouragement alongside multitasking - do you remain focused and on task or do you let go and let the targets get away and accept defeat? You have to stay ON IT, the entire last 30 minutes... I honestly let the surroundings get to me at one point - for a part of it my administrator watched me and I was just thinking to myself ( I look so stupid trying to use this cheap shit, she's looking at me like I'm an idiot, I already failed it) all that through my head in 3 seconds.

So, NOT an excuse because I don't like those, these were my MISTAKES during the test : DO NOT OVERTHINK/ OR QUESTION YOUR ABILITIES. It will only slow you down and sap your "winning energy"
I appreciate the words. We are both in the same exact boat with the over-studying and over-thinking as well. All we can do is adapt and overcome. We got this!!.