• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

DGoldy

I was averaging in the 50s for the mid-high difficulty with the listening. The listening, as well as transitioning to the stick and throttle on the actual test makes it feel much harder. For the listening portion of the test, they say which ear to listen to, then a string of numbers and letters in that ear. If you can do it on the ASTB trainer for like a minute or two on the med-high difficulty and get the listening close to 100% you should be good to go.
Cool cool I am working just on getting accustomed to the wonky non inverted controls but I am definitely keeping that in mind I guess I'll be doing that part later on tomorrow! Again can't thank you enough!

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Cool cool I am working just on getting accustomed to the wonky non inverted controls but I am definitely keeping that in mind I guess I'll be doing that part later on tomorrow! Again can't thank you enough!
The trainer doesn't do both ears simaltaneously, the test does, so keep that in mind. The test is slightly different, but the principle still applies where you only key one side, either left or right according to the appropriate "target" side and correct prompt on the correct target side.

DGoldy

The trainer doesn't do both ears simaltaneously, the test does, so keep that in mind. The test is slightly different, but the principle still applies where you only key one side, either left or right according to the appropriate "target" side and correct prompt on the correct target side.
quick question whats a good score that would translate to a 9 9 9 on the PBM trainer? because i'm between 50-80 stick and throttle part so far

Ghost SWO

Contributor
quick question whats a good score that would translate to a 9 9 9 on the PBM trainer? because i'm between 50-80 stick and throttle part so far
I think all three of those ASTB numbers also correlate to specific sections of the OAR so you wouldn't be able to have a minimum metric for 9's across the board with the PBM alone. I think 50-80 is good, but there aren't many people throwing their training numbers out on the forum to compare.

I don't recall which sections correlate to each number but a quick google search may come up with something.

cpowers1

Hey y'all, I want to share my scores on here and get some second opinions. Although I passed with the minimum requirements for SNA, I'm not satisfied with my scores. 44/5/6/5.
I told the guys at the recruiting office I want a retake because I know I can get a better score, but they recommended against it because I can only retake it two more times. My recruiter said I have a competitive GPA (3.4 in B.S. Professional Pilot) and that it has more weight than ASTB scores.

I still want to bring my scores up and submit my best, improving my chances of getting selected. He's confident and sure I'll get selected with my current credentials. I'm not so sure because I'm not as familiar with the stats and process. I won't be applying until beginning of next year because I need to finish my degree and get vision surgery first.

NevarYalnal

I told the guys at the recruiting office I want a retake because I know I can get a better score, but they recommended against it because I can only retake it two more times. My recruiter said I have a competitive GPA (3.4 in B.S. Professional Pilot) and that it has more weight than ASTB scores.
yeah, not really true; you can have a sub 3 GPA in underwater basket weaving; if you have 9/9/9 you'd still be more competitive than a 4.0 with 5/6/5.

DGoldy

Hey y'all, I want to share my scores on here and get some second opinions. Although I passed with the minimum requirements for SNA, I'm not satisfied with my scores. 44/5/6/5.

I still want to bring my scores up and submit my best, improving my chances of getting selected. He's confident and sure I'll get selected with my current credentials. I'm not so sure because I'm not as familiar with the stats and process. I won't be applying until beginning of next year because I need to finish my degree and get vision surgery first.
Retake it. You want to get above a 50 my recruiter showed me the average scores and they were mostly in the mid to low 60s with 7 and 8 for aqr, pfar and fofar of various gpa. It's better to be over qualified than under qualified.

exNavyOffRec

exact opposite, more likely to get picked with low GPA and high ASTB, it is rare for someone to get picked with minimums no matter what the GPA

exNavyOffRec

Retake it. You want to get above a 50 my recruiter showed me the average scores and they were mostly in the mid to low 60s with 7 and 8 for aqr, pfar and fofar of various gpa. It's better to be over qualified than under qualified.
OAR has no value for SNA or SNFO

Hi all,

I would really appreciate help with this one. The first ones are so natural and I am confused by this one. C is the correct answer. Why isn't it A?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
View attachment 30348

Hi all,

I would really appreciate help with this one. The first ones are so natural and I am confused by this one. C is the correct answer. Why isn't it A?
It's been a minute but, the yellow arrow indicates direction of travel. The map is always oriented North. The answer key is in relation to what you see. Therefore the North parking lot as viewed from your perspective should be C, because it would be the first parking lot directly in front of you, if that makes sense. You should look up the trick to spinning a compass rose card based on your direction of travel, it will make it a lot easier.

Think of the yellow triangle kind of as an arrow, it’s pointing south (down) so A would be south because you’re heading in that direction and C would be north.

Thank you to both of you! I don't understand why yet but this trick works incredibly well. I thought the red dot was the UAV and the yellow trail was the way the camera was facing, but treating the yellow almost like contrails showing the UAV moving away from that direction seems to work well. :D

Edit: Also, I am going to try the compass trick on the diagonal flights path. Probably going to be very helpful. :)

Edit 2: It's incredibly helpful!!! Thank you!

Last edited: