• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

I'm taking the OAR on Thursday. I did fairly well on the ASVAB but I was right out of college (3 years ago). Currently enlisted and although I've been studying I don't feel confident. I'm kind of running short on time because of work requirements and the AMDO board being in early April. I have been studying the math and the physics recommended here (kyles guide) but am curious about the test format itself. I understand it's adaptive and some people have done well only answering 12 questions from what they've posted. The consensus seems to be more right answers as a ratio is better than more right answers total. I can't just stop answering questions If I don't know them though. What would be a good pace to keep for each section? Should I pace myself at all?

slick99

Does anyone know the exact date of the next SNA/NFO board or if there is a thread for it yet? I've heard both April and May but can't seem to get a solid answer. Took the ASTB back in November (52 6/7/7) trying to apply for the January board but missed the deadline due to some MEPS hangups.

Thanks in advance

NevarYalnal

Does anyone know the exact date of the next SNA/NFO board or if there is a thread for it yet? I've heard both April and May but can't seem to get a solid answer. Took the ASTB back in November (52 6/7/7) trying to apply for the January board but missed the deadline due to some MEPS hangups.

Thanks in advance
post from an OR about two weeks back on newtothenavy reddit:

Cloddish

Took the ASTB for the 2nd time yesterday, didn’t finish as the server crashed right before the PBM. Oddly enough this happened on my first attempt, so I won’t know my score for a few more days.

Math:
Had several questions with radicals. Simplify 2(radical)32 or something along those lines. Had a couple of exponents. I remember the easy one, it looks harder than it actually is.

(16^(-3/4) - 16^(1/4))/ 16^-1

Had 3 or 4 questions that were like: Each test is worth 10% more than the last. On the first test Ellie got a 75, second a 70, third an 80. She finished with a 75 average. What was her score on the fourth test?

Another one used assignment averages like hw was 20% quizzes were 30% Tests were 20% and the final was 30%.

had one Log

simplify [log8(log5)[log3](4)] or something along those lines.

one DRT

had one binary question telling you about base 2 and asking you what 7+8 is in base 4

two literal equations. Thats what I can remember off the tope of my head, I ran out of time, but I feel a lot better about this math section than I did on my first attempt. Time will tell though lol.

Reading Comp:

Read out loud like youre explaing the Navy handbook jargon to your friend or mom, I find it’s easier to comprehend that way and I dont have to reread all that shit as much. When you read a “funfact” excerpt I like to act excited about it? Makes it more “fun” and less like Im reading over explained information.

Mechanical:

know how to find the voltage.
know different types of stress, I didn’t apparently, but I think I got the question right anyhow.

ANIT:

I’ve been doing King’s flight school written test prep online as I’m trying to pass my written here soon, this helped a TON with all the avi questions. Of course that’s not required, all the flashcards on this forum are more than enough. Nautical stuff is about getting lucky I suppose, and the more flashcards you do the better your luck will be.

NATFI(nafti?)
Don’t spend too much brain power here, just pick the first one that resonates with you and save energy for the PBM. Unless you’re like me who always has to do the PBM on a different fucking day.

Other notes:
Get the time you want to take the test. My recruiter kept trying to get me a morning time and I kept asking for an afternoon, thus I got afternoon eventually. I wasn’t showing up at 830 for my recruiter to walk in 30 minutes late with McDonalds again(not judging the man, definitely been late to class for a breakfast biscuit, but this is YOUR test, make sure you’re in a position to have the most success) and I sure as hell wasnt doing the math section first thing in the morning again!
Earplugs are helpful, remember youre taking the test in a working office, people are on the phone, chatting with each other, laughing, typing, and bitching about how a DoD email takes an hour to send. Ear plugs do wonders.

Last edited:

cvmm

I'm taking the OAR on Thursday. I did fairly well on the ASVAB but I was right out of college (3 years ago). Currently enlisted and although I've been studying I don't feel confident. I'm kind of running short on time because of work requirements and the AMDO board being in early April. I have been studying the math and the physics recommended here (kyles guide) but am curious about the test format itself. I understand it's adaptive and some people have done well only answering 12 questions from what they've posted. The consensus seems to be more right answers as a ratio is better than more right answers total. I can't just stop answering questions If I don't know them though. What would be a good pace to keep for each section? Should I pace myself at all?

Have confidence it goes a long way ! When I first took it I had doubts but I still tried and had confidence. Ultimately, I did better than I expected and was only 4-5 points away from the score I needed. Taking practice exams everyday definitely helped me and the only issue I really had was that I was not fully prepared for some of the physics questions and I timed out. So I learned to, yes; pace yourself and breath but also don't spend longer than 3 mins on a question. Also, I noticed that for the math problems that I struggled with (ended up doing well in the math section), the multiple choice answers really had 2 obvious answers that weren't it. Most of the answers were clean and even numbers, nothing too crazy or time consuming. I hope this helps and goodluck!!!!

spolasek

Thanks in advance

Hi! According to my recruiter, the deadline for your package is April and the actual board is May. I'm trying to be on this board, as well!

slick99

Hi! According to my recruiter, the deadline for your package is April and the actual board is May. I'm trying to be on this board, as well!
Hope to hear some more solid info about the dates and everything soon!

There's a thread here for anyone else looking to apply on the next board

Metromedic

Contributor
Took the ASTB for the 2nd time yesterday, didn’t finish as the server crashed right before the PBM. Oddly enough this happened on my first attempt, so I won’t know my score for a few more days.

Math:
Had several questions with radicals. Simplify 2(radical)32 or something along those lines. Had a couple of exponents. I remember the easy one, it looks harder than it actually is.

(16^(-3/4) - 16^(1/4))/ 16^-1

Had 3 or 4 questions that were like: Each test is worth 10% more than the last. On the first test Ellie got a 75, second a 70, third an 80. She finished with a 75 average. What was her score on the fourth test?

Another one used assignment averages like hw was 20% quizzes were 30% Tests were 20% and the final was 30%.

had one Log

simplify [log8(log5)[log3](4)] or something along those lines.

one DRT

had one binary question telling you about base 2 and asking you what 7+8 is in base 4

two literal equations. Thats what I can remember off the tope of my head, I ran out of time, but I feel a lot better about this math section than I did on my first attempt. Time will tell though lol.

Reading Comp:

Read out loud like youre explaing the Navy handbook jargon to your friend or mom, I find it’s easier to comprehend that way and I dont have to reread all that shit as much. When you read a “funfact” excerpt I like to act excited about it? Makes it more “fun” and less like Im reading over explained information.

Mechanical:

know how to find the voltage.
know different types of stress, I didn’t apparently, but I think I got the question right anyhow.

ANIT:

I’ve been doing King’s flight school written test prep online as I’m trying to pass my written here soon, this helped a TON with all the avi questions. Of course that’s not required, all the flashcards on this forum are more than enough. Nautical stuff is about getting lucky I suppose, and the more flashcards you do the better your luck will be.

NATFI(nafti?)
Don’t spend too much brain power here, just pick the first one that resonates with you and save energy for the PBM. Unless you’re like me who always has to do the PBM on a different fucking day.

Other notes:
Get the time you want to take the test. My recruiter kept trying to get me a morning time and I kept asking for an afternoon, thus I got afternoon eventually. I wasn’t showing up at 830 for my recruiter to walk in 30 minutes late with McDonalds again(not judging the man, definitely been late to class for a breakfast biscuit, but this is YOUR test, make sure you’re in a position to have the most success) and I sure as hell wasnt doing the math section first thing in the morning again!
Earplugs are helpful, remember youre taking the test in a working office, people are on the phone, chatting with each other, laughing, typing, and bitching about how a DoD email takes an hour to send. Ear plugs do wonders.
If you're going SNA or SNFO, your OAR doesn't matter as much. Most averages I have seen are in the 50's. Focus heavily on the aeronautical piece and perfect the PBM.

L.sandoval

Hi all,

I just finished up a meeting with my recruiter and I'm currently on the path to getting my package ready to send to the board. First steps of course is taking the ASTB and then MEPS. I currently am studying Information Systems and have a 2.793 GPA. My goal is to become a Naval Aviator, specifically helicopters. I just wanted to ask any advice from the guys who have taken the test or are taking this path, what I should be studying, etc. I bought one book so far "ASTB for dummies" off amazon but any other material I can get my hands on will be great. Super excited to be apart of this community and look forward to the future!

Snack Attack

Snack Attack
Contributor
Hi all,

I just finished up a meeting with my recruiter and I'm currently on the path to getting my package ready to send to the board. First steps of course is taking the ASTB and then MEPS. I currently am studying Information Systems and have a 2.793 GPA. My goal is to become a Naval Aviator, specifically helicopters. I just wanted to ask any advice from the guys who have taken the test or are taking this path, what I should be studying, etc. I bought one book so far "ASTB for dummies" off amazon but any other material I can get my hands on will be great. Super excited to be apart of this community and look forward to the future!
Getting on this Website is the first great step,
Honestly, every single gouge, question & info you are looking for can be found on this forum just by going back several pages. Dig deep and you’ll find that this thread is GOLD.
Goodluck!

PEFO Silver-Shades

Hi all,

Page 386 I believe has all the gouges when i was studying

slick99

Hi all,

Definitely check out the Barrons book too, along with Kyle's guide for ANIT and Math. My math section had a ton of weighted averages, permutations, and combinations, which were not really covered in any of the study guides I had (besides Kyle's)

BB Poison

Contributor
Hi everyone! Just joined up, NFO hopeful. I took the ASTB this morning and scored a 61 6/6/6. Not sure how to feel about it after reading this thread, would a BS in aerospace engineering and a 3.24 GPA help me out?