• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Snowprincess01

male or female is irrelevant in the selection, the competition is getting tighter so the advice to study and be ready to retake is sound.

I know male/female doesn't matter, just stating the difference was all. Since it's getting tighter, is 50 6/6/6 worth risking it? I'll be 31 in March and my recruiter said he thinks there are waivers for active time that would extend the commission by your 32nd...I don't know if that's true. I know time isn't on my side. So I'm not sure if I can actually be seen by board again. I was suppose to go to board in December but the MEPS doctor is in no rush. I currently fly, should have my PPL next month. It was by luck I found out the pilot age was extended. I gave up the dream of flying in the military and was looking to pursue it commercially.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I know male/female doesn't matter, just stating the difference was all. Since it's getting tighter, is 50 6/6/6 worth risking it? I'll be 31 in March and my recruiter said he thinks there are waivers for active time that would extend the commission by your 32nd...I don't know if that's true. I know time isn't on my side. So I'm not sure if I can actually be seen by board again. I was suppose to go to board in December but the MEPS doctor is in no rush. I currently fly, should have my PPL next month. It was by luck I found out the pilot age was extended. I gave up the dream of flying in the military and was looking to pursue it commercially.
The recruiter is a little off in the information. You need to leave to start OCS before you turn 32, you don't need to acquire the commission before you turn 32. You have plenty of time. I would have your PPL in hand before submitting. Your scores are the minimum for SNA and SNFO but people get selected with 6's all the time. Wait to retake until after you submit and hear back on results, that way you can avoid a potential 6 month wait because you didn't have a significant change to your application. Retaking the test counts as a significant change and you can resubmit to the next board if you're not picked up the first time.

There are waivers but you don't need one right now. If you were already at an age where you couldn't get to OCS before you turn 32, then you need a waiver. You have a year and two months to get selected and go to OCS. Lots of time IMO, or at least enough time to submit twice, maybe three times.

exNavyOffRec

If you retest and get lower that is bad, if you roll the dice and get a N then retest you may not have time to get to another board and commission by age 32, you might get a waiver but if they start getting back logged NRC will start denying waivers, you are in a very tough position

exNavyOffRec

The recruiter is a little off in the information. You need to leave to start OCS before you turn 32, you don't need to acquire the commission before you turn 32.
Program authorizations are all "commission by age XX" so you need to go back 3 months before a birthday, she needs to get to board ASAP.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Program authorizations are all "commission by age XX" so you need to go back 3 months before a birthday, she needs to get to board ASAP.
My OR and I ran across something that said selected candidates must attend OCS by age 32. If what you're saying is the case I need to have a discussion with my OR ASAP lol.

Snowprincess01

My OR and I ran across something that said selected candidates must attend OCS by age 32. If what you're saying is the case I need to have a discussion with my OR ASAP lol.

And this is the pickle I'm in trying to decide what the correct choice is...I'm submitting SNA, SNFO, and SWO...flight is what I truly want and pursued when I began my military career. I had to reselect an MOS for the Marine Corps because I was suppose to be a crew chief but my eyes weren't correctable to 20/20. They were correctable 20/20 +/-2 which DQ'd me. Swing and a miss. If I do better retesting, great. However, I'm a good test taker and felt I failed. I was surprised with my 50 6/6/6. I know the boards are going to get more competitive. I feel comfortable with my package as a whole but is it good enough to throw the dice when age is not on my side.

Andrew_franny

Hey guys, I had a question about a problem on the OAR math guide that has been floating around on here. The problem is as such, "A rectangular flower bed whose dimensions are 16 yards by 12 yards is surrounded by a walk 3 yards wide. The area of the walk is"
  • 93 square yards
  • 96 square yards
  • 144 square yards
  • 204 square yards
  • 244 square yards
My method is to calculate the initial area of the 16x12 garden, then add 3 yards to each dim for the walk area, then calculate the area of the walk, 19x15. Once I find the total area of the walk (285), I subtract the area of the flower bed (192) from the total walkway area, leaving only the walkway area. I get 93, but the OAR guide says it is 204.

NevarYalnal

Hey guys, I had a question about a problem on the OAR math guide that has been floating around on here. The problem is as such, "A rectangular flower bed whose dimensions are 16 yards by 12 yards is surrounded by a walk 3 yards wide. The area of the walk is"
  • 93 square yards
  • 96 square yards
  • 144 square yards
  • 204 square yards
  • 244 square yards
My method is to calculate the initial area of the 16x12 garden, then add 3 yards to each dim for the walk area, then calculate the area of the walk, 19x15. Once I find the total area of the walk (285), I subtract the area of the flower bed (192) from the total walkway area, leaving only the walkway area. I get 93, but the OAR guide says it is 204.
you only added 3 yards to two sides. the full dimension of the walk + bed is actually 22 x 18 (3 extra yards on each side)

Andrew_franny

I think I'm fundamentally missing something here, but why would you need to add it twice? Wouldn't the first time around encompass the width growth by 3?

NevarYalnal

I think I'm fundamentally missing something here, but why would you need to add it twice? Wouldn't the first time around encompass the width growth by 3?
might be easier to visualize. draw two rectangles, one inside the other. if the walkway surrounding the flowerbed is 3 yards all the way around, then what is the length and width of the rectangle surrounding a 16 x 12 flower bed?