• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Ricaman

Hello,
I just took the ASTB today 21 Jan and received a 49 5/6/6. Even though my scores are not the highest, I am happy with the results as I only studied for like 3 weeks and need a 4/6/6 for Marine Corps Aviation program.

Math Section
I recommend taking ASVAB practice tests to see what areas you need improvement on. Yes, the ASTB math section is harder however, this will allow for you to know your weak areas. Watch videos on how to actually do them.
Learn about areas, averages, division with large numbers, circumference, drt, time problems

Reading Section
Two out of the four answers will seem correct. Go with the one that actually comes from the text, word by word.

Mechanical Section
Kyles study guide is more than enough for this section. Know about your simple machines and electrical terminology.

ANIT Section
Study Kyles study guide until you completely know it all. Watch videos on how the aerodynamic of aircrafts works, the lighting/markways of taxiways and runways, 5 Major components of an airplane and (rolling, pitch, yaw). There are some questions that weren't in the study guide but if you study it and apply common sense, then you can break it down to the more obvious choice.

NAFTI
This section is annoying. Just answer to what you believe is best. I recommend choosing answers that will make you seem unselfish and that you will follow orders.

PBM
Spacial orientation aptitude- study the flashcards and the compass trick, it will work. Keep your finger off the mouse, panicking might make you click an answer without wanting. I got two wrong by accidentally clicking the mouse.

Dichotic listening aptitude- I recommend removing the headset from the ear that you do not need to listen to. That way you don't listen to unnecessary numbers/letters that'll confuse you.

Stick and throttle- when doing them separate, try your best to keep the aim point on the aircraft. When doing both stick and throttle, focus more on the one with the throttle as it is easier to track and keep the one with the stick on your peripheral.
When you do dichotic listening, stick, and throttle, I recommend to focus on the one with the throttle and the listening. It is better to perfect 2 instead of struggling to do all three at the same time. You can easily do the throttle and listening at the same time.

My scores are not the highest however, I think that they are great with the amount that I studied. The above is a recommendation that I believe would definitely help.

Lastly, do not get bummed out thinking that you aren't performing to well. You will do better than you think you are!

gmex31

Definitely check out the Barrons book too, along with Kyle's guide for ANIT and Math. My math section had a ton of weighted averages, permutations, and combinations, which were not really covered in any of the study guides I had (besides Kyle's)
Do you happen to know which page contains Kyles ANIT?

Andrew_franny

Hello,
I just took the ASTB today 21 Jan and received a 49 5/6/6. Even though my scores are not the highest, I am happy with the results as I only studied for like 3 weeks and need a 4/6/6 for Marine Corps Aviation program.

Math Section
I recommend taking ASVAB practice tests to see what areas you need improvement on. Yes, the ASTB math section is harder however, this will allow for you to know your weak areas. Watch videos on how to actually do them.
Learn about areas, averages, division with large numbers, circumference, drt, time problems

Reading Section
Two out of the four answers will seem correct. Go with the one that actually comes from the text, word by word.

Mechanical Section
Kyles study guide is more than enough for this section. Know about your simple machines and electrical terminology.

ANIT Section
Study Kyles study guide until you completely know it all. Watch videos on how the aerodynamic of aircrafts works, the lighting/markways of taxiways and runways, 5 Major components of an airplane and (rolling, pitch, yaw). There are some questions that weren't in the study guide but if you study it and apply common sense, then you can break it down to the more obvious choice.

NAFTI
This section is annoying. Just answer to what you believe is best. I recommend choosing answers that will make you seem unselfish and that you will follow orders.

PBM
Spacial orientation aptitude- study the flashcards and the compass trick, it will work. Keep your finger off the mouse, panicking might make you click an answer without wanting. I got two wrong by accidentally clicking the mouse.

Dichotic listening aptitude- I recommend removing the headset from the ear that you do not need to listen to. That way you don't listen to unnecessary numbers/letters that'll confuse you.

Stick and throttle- when doing them separate, try your best to keep the aim point on the aircraft. When doing both stick and throttle, focus more on the one with the throttle as it is easier to track and keep the one with the stick on your peripheral.
When you do dichotic listening, stick, and throttle, I recommend to focus on the one with the throttle and the listening. It is better to perfect 2 instead of struggling to do all three at the same time. You can easily do the throttle and listening at the same time.

My scores are not the highest however, I think that they are great with the amount that I studied. The above is a recommendation that I believe would definitely help.

Lastly, do not get bummed out thinking that you aren't performing to well. You will do better than you think you are!
Is it allowed to remove the headphone from the non target ear?

slick99

Is it allowed to remove the headphone from the non target ear?
Because it switches pretty quick from one ear to the other, you don't really have time to pull one back and push the other one forward. The listening portion was not terrible with both earphones on, as the two ears also had distinct voices, so all you really have to do is tune in to the voice that correlates with the target ear. At least that is what worked for me...could be different from others' perspectives.

PEFO Silver-Shades

Because it switches pretty quick from one ear to the other, you don't really have time to pull one back and push the other one forward. The listening portion was not terrible with both earphones on, as the two ears also had distinct voices, so all you really have to do is tune in to the voice that correlates with the target ear. At least that is what worked for me...could be different from others' perspectives.
Thats what exactly happened for me, both voices were playing in one side of the head phones so it was difficult to differentiate which one was which, so i removed one side of the headphones and just focused on the different tones of voice to the "targeted ear"

Toadbob

I want to know that everyone who says probability problems were mostly on their MST portion was it %chance probability or P(A & B) = P(A) x P(B) types?
How complex were the questions on Bernoulli's and Boyle's laws? was there calculation on those and did we need to know the formulas? I wish people could be a little more specific on what the questions were asking sometimes. Thanks in advance.

cvmm

I want to know that everyone who says probability problems were mostly on their MST portion was it %chance probability or P(A & B) = P(A) x P(B) types?
How complex were the questions on Bernoulli's and Boyle's laws? was there calculation on those and did we need to know the formulas? I wish people could be a little more specific on what the questions were asking sometimes. Thanks in advance.

With my exam, I had no probability mostly algebra where the best way to solve was plugging in the answers already given to you. In regards to Bernoullis and Boyles, I just had to define what it is. The only math I had in the physics part was stuff like " A 150 pound person jumps off a 600 pound raft 10 feet away, how much feet away is the raft now?" I did not word that question word by word lol but that's basically one of the questions I was asked. I was asked maybe 1 or 2 questions about pulleys but most were definitions which screwed me up since I studied mostly math for the mechanical comprehension.

Hwatts12

Hey everyone!

Just a quick back brief, I originally took the OAR back in July 2020. Before the test, I briefly looked over the various google docs posted in this form. I had other obligations at the time that caused me to rush the test and my score reflected it. I scored a 44 on my first test putting me 10 points off from being competitive. Fast forward to December, I finished my degree and scheduled my second OAR test 4 weeks out. I took the test again this morning and I made a 60. 16 points higher in 4 weeks of studying! I want to share a few things that I found along the way in hopes that it will serve you well in your preparation.

I'm not going to mention all of the google doc drives mentioned in an earlier post to prevent redundancy. (Check them out they are a must!)
Also, if the things I mention below have already been mentioned I apologize.

1st:
With a limited amount of time, I wanted to get in front of as many problems as possible. I recommend watching videos at 1.5-2x speed and only slowing down on the parts that you struggle with. This saved me HOURS!!!!

2nd:
So much good information on YouTube. Channels to look into include but are not limited to: The Tested Tutor, NancyPi, The Organic Chemistry Tutor, Khan Academy, Professor Julius Sumner Miller (good real-world applications to help understand the physics portion), and Crash Course (good physics overview).

3rd:
I found this website helpful for the math portion of the OAR.
https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_math_review.pdf

4th:
Writing out ABCD 20 times on a sheet of paper for the Reading Comp. section was big. I marked out the wrong answers as I read through the answers. This saved me from rereading an answer that I already deemed incorrect, time saver!! I read the paragraph slow and summarized after each reading portion before answering. Read slow and answer fast was my MOTO on test day.

5th:
I went into test day having memorized key references that I thought would be helpful to have in front of me on test day. As soon as I got to the testing center, I wrote all of it down. I honestly only referenced from it once on the math part, but it served as a way to memorize key highlights.

These are the tools that helped me and I hope it serves you well. I must note that doing these things above will not ensure a 16-point jump or even a 5-point jump. No substitute for hard work.

Good luck! GB

Hey everyone!

Just a quick back brief, I originally took the OAR back in July 2020. Before the test, I briefly looked over the various google docs posted in this form. I had other obligations at the time that caused me to rush the test and my score reflected it. I scored a 44 on my first test putting me 10 points off from being competitive. Fast forward to December, I finished my degree and scheduled my second OAR test 4 weeks out. I took the test again this morning and I made a 60. 16 points higher in 4 weeks of studying! I want to share a few things that I found along the way in hopes that it will serve you well in your preparation.

I'm not going to mention all of the google doc drives mentioned in an earlier post to prevent redundancy. (Check them out they are a must!)
Also, if the things I mention below have already been mentioned I apologize.

1st:
With a limited amount of time, I wanted to get in front of as many problems as possible. I recommend watching videos at 1.5-2x speed and only slowing down on the parts that you struggle with. This saved me HOURS!!!!

2nd:
So much good information on YouTube. Channels to look into include but are not limited to: The Tested Tutor, NancyPi, The Organic Chemistry Tutor, Khan Academy, Professor Julius Sumner Miller (good real-world applications to help understand the physics portion), and Crash Course (good physics overview).

3rd:
I found this website helpful for the math portion of the OAR.
https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_math_review.pdf

4th:
Writing out ABCD 20 times on a sheet of paper for the Reading Comp. section was big. I marked out the wrong answers as I read through the answers. This saved me from rereading an answer that I already deemed incorrect, time saver!! I read the paragraph slow and summarized after each reading portion before answering. Read slow and answer fast was my MOTO on test day.

5th:
I went into test day having memorized key references that I thought would be helpful to have in front of me on test day. As soon as I got to the testing center, I wrote all of it down. I honestly only referenced from it once on the math part, but it served as a way to memorize key highlights.

These are the tools that helped me and I hope it serves you well. I must note that doing these things above will not ensure a 16-point jump or even a 5-point jump. No substitute for hard work.

Good luck! GB
By any chance, are there formulas on the exam? For instance, if they asked for the volume or Surface Area of a cylinder do they give you that formula?

The math seems to be a little broad. Although I think I have been getting better do you have anymore tips? I will look at the link you posted tonight on the math section.

I'm also a little nervous on the mechanics section. I have been studying Kyles Gouge and going constantly on youtube

schen0222

Hey everyone!
I've been lurking on this thread for a while and finally took my ASTB today. I scored a 56 7/7/7 , which is lower than what I had hoped(was hoping to score higher to compensate for my low gpa) but nonetheless here are my 2 cents about the test.

Math:
No matter how good you think you are at math, I would still recommend doing as many practice problems as you can regarding this section. I had a lot of probability questions, distance rate time problems, and exponent problems. I am a mathematics major, and this was surprisingly the section that gave me the most trouble. It might have been test pressure, but after getting through the first few easy math questions, they became a lot harder and I just forgot how to math. Barrons prep tests is not going to be enough for the math section, the math on the actual astb isharder. I would recommend going over GRE math prep as well.

Reading:
Super boring and tedious. Just focus as best as you can and pick the best answer.

Mechanical:
Honestly a lot easier than I thought It would be, half of the questions were common sense or very basic science questions. Barrons prep tests do a very good job of preparing you for this section.

ANIT:
I used kyles study guide for this as I'm sure everyone else has. The ANIT gouge in his study guide was EXTREMELY helpful. There are also 400 flashcards that I studied that were immensely helpful. They are linked somewhere on this forum, but I dont quite remember where.

PBM:
For Spatial orientation study the flash cards over and over until you can get them correct in 1-2 seconds. I averaged around 4-6 seconds which is very slow, and may have hurt my score. I did not get a single one incorrect however.

Dichotic listening: Lean in the direction of the ear they tell you to focus on. It helps, trust me.

Stick and throttle: As everyone says, definitely practicing playing video games inverted. I was not used to the inverted controls and the plane ended up juking me out quite a bit.

As always remember to breathe and relax. I definitely panicked in some of the sections of the exam and it most definitely did not help me. Get a good nights sleep before and do your best!

Last edited: