• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

AngelineC

amc2000
Hey guys! I'm retaking the ASTB on the 7th or sometime around the 12th. This will be my second time taking the test; the first time I did absolutely horrible. I got a 38 OAR, 3 AQR, PFAR 5, and FOFAR of 4. The first time, I was only given a week to study and when I got to the tracking section of the test, the joystick didn't work. I had to drive an hour to another testing center and restart the tracking. The first time I used Barron's guide and then a bunch of the study guides from the forums.

I'm mostly struggling with the math section. I have never been good with math, absolutely hate it, but I'm a psychology major with a 3.7 GPA. I've been reviewing basic algebra concepts but I'm worried about the harder math. I spent a lot of time reviewing radicals, the order of operations, percent word problems, etc. Are there any good resources for word problem review such as videos on youtube? I know how to do logs and I'm not too worried there, I didn't encounter any the first time. I plan on reviewing the geometry aspect tomorrow. I started reviewing the formulas for that today but can't remember if they are on the test (are they?). I know how to do the basics but struggle with the harder ones. What else should I be reviewing for the math?

I feel fine for the reading portion, was always good at reading portions on standardized exams.

I'm also struggling with the mechanical/physics section. I understand the basic concepts (gear rotation, pulleys, buoyancy) and used a lot of the study guides/flashcards here. I'm having trouble understanding the mechanical advantage and circuit problems. I'm using the Trivium study guide now, and I know there's a review in there but I still don't quite get it. I'm not sure if there are any good videos out there going into detail about that. I also have trouble just memorizing the formulas, I know that F = m x a, which is pretty basic, but everything else is hard for me. In some of the reviews, I come across problems using a Cam and how many times a screw will make contact with a certain point. On the review's I get it right, but the Cam always has 4 bumps. I'm having trouble finding different problems with Cams.

Any good tips for the math/mechanical section I'll take.

I felt fine during the ANIT section but towards the end, I started getting flustered and felt like I was failing. I came across a lot more of the history which I wasn't too prepared for. I studied a lot of the navy/aviator terms and didn't focus too much on history. Should I try to know some important dates/people and focus less on the terms? I'm not sure of the best way to conquer it. I know parts of planes/ships and what they do/control pretty well.

I know where I messed up on the listening/tracking. Having to travel an hour in the middle of the test kind of threw me off. I did fine with the emergency situations, didn't even write them down; my screen never turned red. I just had a hard time when it went to listening and both types of tracking. I also didn't really know what to expect for this section of the test but felt okay for my first time.

My recruiter thinks that if I had an extra week I would have passed. I'm mostly just struggling with the math/mechanical sections and will take any help I can get. Thanks, have a happy new year!

tenet0389

Hi everyone,

I'm a current undergraduate studying business with a 3.72 GPA. I'm exploring the option of joining the Navy as a Supply Corps Officer after graduating this spring. My objective is to take the ASTB between late January to mid-February for the first time. As studying material I'm using the Barron's Military Aptitude Test, a couple of Trivium study guides, and the online gouges mentioned in previous threads. Besides having to revisit a couple of topics such as calculus, what do you recommend me to focus on in order to obtain a competitive score for the job I'm applying? Any suggestions are welcomed and Happy New Year!

donkeh

Hi everyone,

I'm a current undergraduate studying business with a 3.72 GPA. I'm exploring the option of joining the Navy as a Supply Corps Officer after graduating this spring. My objective is to take the ASTB between late January to mid-February for the first time. As studying material I'm using the Barron's Military Aptitude Test, a couple of Trivium study guides, and the online gouges mentioned in previous threads. Besides having to revisit a couple of topics such as calculus, what do you recommend me to focus on in order to obtain a competitive score for the job I'm applying? Any suggestions are welcomed and Happy New Year!
If you are strictly applying for Supply, you do not need to take the full ASTB. You will only need to take the OAR for that designator, the ASTB is for SNA/NFO applicants. It includes many more sections and is significantly longer than just the OAR. If you aren't looking at or even considering aviation there is no reason to take the full ASTB whatsoever. It's an Aviation Selection Test Battery and does not apply to or effect your Supply application. It encompasses much more material than the standard OAR and is significantly longer than the OAR by itself, so if you want to get the best scores possible for a designator like SWO/Supply/Intel don't give yourself more work than you need to.

Oski510

Hey everyone,

I've got my ASTB test coming up in a couple of weeks. 2nd try. First try I did horribly in the math section. Scored a 44 4/6/4 so I'm hoping the math practice I've been doing gets me above the 50's. Anyway I've got a question from a mechanical comp practice test I took - would appreciate a solution on how to solve these types of resistance/voltage questions, I have zero experience with them. I'll be posting more questions in the next few days as I prepare, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    32.6 KB · Views: 79

PEFO Silver-Shades

Hey everyone,

I've got my ASTB test coming up in a couple of weeks. 2nd try. First try I did horribly in the math section. Scored a 44 4/6/4 so I'm hoping the math practice I've been doing gets me above the 50's. Anyway I've got a question from a mechanical comp practice test I took - would appreciate a solution on how to solve these types of resistance/voltage questions, I have zero experience with them. I'll be posting more questions in the next few days as I prepare, thanks in advance!

first 5 minutes should help you out with that problem

cvmm

Hi :)

So I am taking the exam tomorrow. I am pretty nervous but also oddly confident. Any last minute tips/advice?
Also prayers please lol

Duffman

None
Contributor

So I am taking the exam tomorrow. I am pretty nervous but also oddly confident. Any last minute tips/advice?
Also prayers please lol
Don’t worry if you think you’re doing bad just keep pushing and don’t lose focus, because you’re most likely doing better then you think!

PEFO Silver-Shades

Also prayers please lol
get a good night sleep, and do not panic/worry throughout the test. Read each question out loud, especially the reading comprehension section. Use your 15 in the middle of the test to allow yourself to relax for a moment. and like joey said don't worry if you think your doing bad on the PBM portion you'll prob do just fine just remember to write down the emergency procedures

AngelineC

amc2000
Hey guys! Does anyone have good resources that go over the Mechanical section? I understand the basics of it, just looking for something that goes into more depth. I have Barron's and the Trivium book. Looking for resources that go over the electrical part (current, resistance, Ohm's Law, voltage, circuits). Are there any good youtube videos on this stuff?

PEFO Silver-Shades

Hey guys! Does anyone have good resources that go over the Mechanical section? I understand the basics of it, just looking for something that goes into more depth. I have Barron's and the Trivium book. Looking for resources that go over the electrical part (current, resistance, Ohm's Law, voltage, circuits). Are there any good youtube videos on this stuff?
Page 386 of this forum, kyles and OAR google drive will help ya with the mechanical

Oski510

first 5 minutes should help you out with that problem

Thank you so much!

Guys, my first time taking the test I didn't do so hot in the NAFTI section, it really tired me out mentally and I got to a point where I was seeing the same statement in different questions and not knowing what I had gone with in the previous questions. I read somewhere that I need to answer from a cocky pilot perspective. Thoughts?

It mentioned in the pilot handbook that pilots that are prone to get into accidents have a disregard for procedures and are over confident, so pick the opposite of that. Also your applying to be a leader so the team comes first. That's how I approached it.

Oski510

It mentioned in the pilot handbook that pilots that are prone to get into accidents have a disregard for procedures and are over confident, so pick the opposite of that. Also your applying to be a leader so the team comes first. That's how I approached it.

I'll try that approach! I've got an example for you though, would be great if you could explain how you would approach this one:

a) I tend to not accept my mistakes and blame others when possible
b) I don't have a problem with speaking back to my superiors

These were the type that would get to me. Using your approach I would go with (b) because a leader would accept their mistakes and definitely not blame others for it. But I would also never talk back to my superiors (significantly more looked down upon in the military). Maybe I'm just over thinking these but I think I ended up going with (b).

I think (a) is worse than (b) when it comes to leadership so personally I would go with (b). But NATFI really doesn't have a huge affect on your score haha so don't stress it out too much.

cvmm

Hey!
I took my OAR exam today and I actually did a lot better than I thought I would. The goal is do SWO, and I passed the exam. I got a 40 but I was told a good competitive score for that would be like 48-50ish range. All of the study materials posted here helped tremendously. I have a BA in Prelaw and a minor in crim. I have since changed my mind which is why I am here... Anyways....

Most my math questions were algebra and geometry. The part that I think messed me up was mechanical comprehension actually, the material that I studied was a little different and I spent more time on certain questions thus, having me get timed out. If anyone has advice or any practice questions/notes for the mechanical portion please send them my way.

I plan to take the exam again and I hope to score even better. My recruiter had told me that there is going to be (usually is) a SWO board around March but things may change since Corona has screwed up some schedules. With that being said, if she finds out there is no SWO board soon I may have to wait a year and who knows what would happen then. Which brings up my next question...

What should I do if there is no SWO board? Wait or just take the enlisted route?