• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

NjaFriday

Would you be able to send me the file for Patrick's gouge. I already have Kyle's. Thanks

Here is all the study material from here that I used: https://ufile.io/hwoz5dzf
Some of the material has some wrong answers, but if you Google it enough and feel confident in the your answer, I'm sure it's likely right. I don't remember what problems were wrong now, but after asking some people for help, I usually got it right (or at least people agreed that it was right, lol)

I got study guides on Amazon, but I only really used two. The Trivium study guide had a good overview of math, and the Test Prep Books study guide had my favorite overview of mechanics. Trivium also makes a practice test book containing two tests, but one of the is included in the study guide.

As far as taking the test, my only advice is just practice, practice, and practice. I did every problem I could get my hands on, and I'm glad I did with such little time before the test. Also, don't cheat yourself out of the basic physics aspects of the test on the mechanics section. While you can do a bunch of problems, it certainly won't help if you don't really understand the concepts behind those problems. I came across a couple questions I had never done before, and if I didn't know the concept, I don't think I would have finished those parts in the 15 min of time given.

Note that I didn't finish the math section in time, so I'm not sure what I missed there. The reading section was just like the practice tests though, so definitely review that at least once.

Oshun8235

Here is all the study material from here that I used: https://ufile.io/hwoz5dzf
Some of the material has some wrong answers, but if you Google it enough and feel confident in the your answer, I'm sure it's likely right. I don't remember what problems were wrong now, but after asking some people for help, I usually got it right (or at least people agreed that it was right, lol)

I got study guides on Amazon, but I only really used two. The Trivium study guide had a good overview of math, and the Test Prep Books study guide had my favorite overview of mechanics. Trivium also makes a practice test book containing two tests, but one of the is included in the study guide.

As far as taking the test, my only advice is just practice, practice, and practice. I did every problem I could get my hands on, and I'm glad I did with such little time before the test. Also, don't cheat yourself out of the basic physics aspects of the test on the mechanics section. While you can do a bunch of problems, it certainly won't help if you don't really understand the concepts behind those problems. I came across a couple questions I had never done before, and if I didn't know the concept, I don't think I would have finished those parts in the 15 min of time given.

Note that I didn't finish the math section in time, so I'm not sure what I missed there. The reading section was just like the practice tests though, so definitely review that at least once.
Thanks. I'll practice more on the math test as well as the mechanical too. I didn't do it as much as I should've last time. My strategy is retention and speed.

I just started studying for the ASTBE again since I did not receive competitive scores the first time. I came across this website a few months ago and came across Kyle's Study Guide, seems to be really good. I'm actually more worried about the mechanics section than the math, reading comprehension, and aviation. But for the aviation section I've looked at the website I believe its called Cram Flashcards? I printed out all the cards, put them in order and have been studying those. Is it safe to say most of those flashcards are the questions on the exam? I took the exam over a year ago so I forget the questions.

But, does anyone have tips on how to study for this exam? I feel like I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of information, I hope I'm studying for the right things because when I first took the exam I just used the Barron's book and Trivium which was nothing like the actual exam.

Also, on a side note I came across a really good YouTube channel called Grammar Hero https://www.youtube.com/c/GrammarHero/playlists his videos are extremely helpful, although its for the ASVAB, I think it's somewhat similar to the ASTBE.

But any tips would be greatly appreciated, I plan on taking this exam again in February/March of 2021.

I took the ASTB back in March but as far as I remember, the Cram flashcards and reading the pages in the AIM that are noted in Kyle's study guide were the most helpful. All of the questions were on the exam or were extremely similar to questions on the exam. There were a few other flashcard lists floating around on quizlet, etc that helped too. There really isn't another way to study for the aviation portion besides learning as many naval/aviation facts as you can. The mechanical section was very similar to Kyle's guide and Barron's. I had to know the force equation and Ohm's law equation, potential energy, and there was one question regarding nuclear reactors and control rods that was thrown in there. Overall though, if you study Kyle's guide and the Barron's book, you should be good. I did take the concepts from the study guides and watched videos from The Organic Chemistry Tutor on youtube as it helped me understand them. He also has a lot of videos of concepts that are on the math portion of the ASTB too.

Ok great! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I’ve been watching the Organic Chemistry Tutor as well he’s been extremely helpful. But ok I’ll just stick with Kyle’s, Barron’s and YouTube!

ckostrzewa99

Hi all,

Just a quick background: I am a fourth year university student studying Geography (BA) with a concentration in Ethics; I have a Private Pilot Certificate with roughly 80 hours of flight time, and I've wanted to fly pointy nosed jets ever since I was a little boy.

I took the ASTB today for the first time and scored a 50 6/7/6. My recruiter was very pleased with this score and I will begin putting my application together in the next few weeks. I figured I would chime in here on my experience. Though, I won't speak to the difficulty of the problems. It is different for everyone.

The first thing I'll say is try not to compare yourself to other people on here. I was terrible about doing this and it was obviously not beneficial in any way. I kept looking at people's GPA's, ASTB scores, university majors, and really short changed myself as a result. You are your own person, everyone studies and tests differently. Just focus on you.

I studied for about a month in total. The first two weeks was during the end of my school semester so I really only got about an hour or two of studying a day. After school wrapped up it was nose to the grind stone, studying for a couple of hours a day for 6/7 days a week. Do yourself a favor and give yourself a day off every week. My study materials consisted of Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Test, Trivium ASTB Study Guide 2020-2021, and some online gouge I was able to find. (I did have a look at Kyle's gouge. I think just about everyone on here has). I took 1/2 practice tests within the Barron book as soon as I received it. This gave me an idea of what I needed to focus on throughout the next few weeks. Though, I took any practice test I could get my hands on, even if it was for another branch. I just wanted exposure to problems.

MATH - As I studied, I found math to be my weakest subject. The books tell you what kind of math you can expect to see. I saw mostly algebra, one geometry, a few probability, some DRT, and one calc problem. The computer cut me off with 8 minutes left in this section.

READING - This was pretty straightforward. You're given a passage and you have to pick the answer that most closely identifies with the passage. I didn't spend too much time studying here.

MECHANICS - Simple physics. I have no physics classes under my belt and I did just fine. Look over the books. It's nothing too complex.

ANIT - Given the bit of experience I have in aviation I wasn't too worried about the aviation portion, but I was initially a little concerned about the nautical information. For the aviation information, study the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. Nothing too in depth. For nautical information, have a basic understanding of ship structure and nautical terminology.

NAFTI - This sucks. Can't study for it. Just pick the answer that MOST relates to you. Some of the answers will make you feel like an awful person (lol) but there's no way working around this section.

PBM - The spatial orientation was fine. Plenty of people speak to the trick around this section so I won't say any more here. The dichotic listening was straight forward. They give you a target ear and you listen for the designated numbers in that ear. The stick and throttle portion was pretty challenging. I felt I was doing so poorly on this. My cross hairs seemed to be in the red for the most part but I guess it didn't matter too much. (I blame that on the stick and throttle set. There isn't much sensitivity). Finally, there are emergency procedures. Really straight forward. They tell you exactly what (not when) they're going to be and how to deal with them. Write the steps down and you'll be fine.

If you take away one thing from this post, make sure it's that you're not comparing yourself with others. Again, everyone studies differently and everyone tests differently. (And remember, each test is different, so not one experience is the same). I found I was comparing myself to a lot of people I thought had more complex degrees and higher GPA's, and I ultimately did better than many of them. Be confident in your abilities.

Best of luck and don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions.

Chris

P.S. - You get a 15 minute break after you complete the OAR. Take advantage of this. Go to the bathroom, take a breather, let your brain rest for a bit.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just a quick background: I am a fourth year university student studying Geography (BA) with a concentration in Ethics; I have a Private Pilot Certificate with roughly 80 hours of flight time, and I've wanted to fly pointy nosed jets ever since I was a little boy.

I took my ASTB today for the first time and scored a 50 6/7/6. My recruiter was very pleased with this score and I will begin putting my application together in the next few weeks. I figured I would chime in here on my experience. Though, I won't speak to the difficulty of the problems. It is different for everyone.

The first thing I'll say is try not to compare yourself to other people on here. I was terrible about doing this and it was obviously not beneficial in any way. I kept looking at people's GPA's, ASTB scores, university majors, and really short changed myself as a result. You are your own person, everyone studies and tests differently. Just focus on you.

I studied for about a month in total. The first two weeks was during the end of my school semester so I really only got about an hour or two of studying a day. After school wrapped up it was nose to the grind stone, studying for a couple of hours a day for 6/7 days a week. Do yourself a favor and give yourself a day off every week. My study materials consisted of Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Test, Trivium ASTB Study Guide 2020-2021, and some online gouge I was able to find. (I did have a look at Kyle's gouge. I think just about everyone on here has). I took 1/2 practice tests within the Barron book as soon as I received it. This gave me an idea of what I needed to focus on throughout the next few weeks. Though, I took any practice test I could get my hands on, even if it was for another branch. I just wanted exposure to problems.

MATH - As I studied, I found math to be my weakest subject. The books tell you what kind of math you can expect to see. I saw mostly algebra, one geometry, a few probability, some DRT, and one calc problem. The computer cut me off with 8 minutes left in this section.

READING - This was pretty straightforward. You're given a passage and you have to pick the answer that most closely identifies with the passage. I didn't spend too much time studying here.

MECHANICS - Simple physics. I have no physics classes under my belt and I did just fine. Look over the books. It's nothing too complex.

ANIT - Given the bit of experience I have in aviation I wasn't too worried about the aviation portion, but I was initially a little concerned about the nautical information. For the aviation information, study the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. Nothing too in depth. For nautical information, have a basic understanding of ship structure and nautical terminology.

NAFTI - This sucks. Can't study for it. Just pick the answer that MOST relates to you. Some of the answers will make you feel like an awful person (lol) but there's no way working around this section.

PBM - The spatial orientation was fine. Plenty of people speak to the trick around this section so I won't say any more here. The dichotic listening was straight forward. They give you a target ear and you listen for the designated numbers in that ear. The stick and throttle portion was pretty challenging. I felt I was doing so poorly on this. My cross hairs seemed to be in the red for the most part but I guess it didn't matter too much. (I blame that on the stick and throttle set. There isn't much sensitivity). Finally, there are emergency procedures. Really straight forward. They tell you exactly what (not when) they're going to be and how to deal with them. Write the steps down and you'll be fine.

If you take away one thing from this post, make sure it's that you're not comparing yourself with others. Again, everyone studies differently and everyone tests differently. (And remember, each test is different, so not one experience is the same). I found I was comparing myself to a lot of people I thought had more complex degrees and higher GPA's, and I ultimately did better than many of them. Be confident in your abilities.

Chris

P.S. - You get a 15 minute break after you complete the OAR. Take advantage of this. Go to the bathroom, take a breather, let your brain rest for a bit.

Congrats on the scores Chris! I’m shooting for 60s and 6s of course I’ll be happy getting a higher score but seems to me if you get writhing the 50s-60s and 6s across you’ll be fine

exNavyOffRec

Hi all,

I took the ASTB today for the first time and scored a 50 6/7/6. My recruiter was very pleased with this score and I will begin putting my application together in the next few weeks. I figured I would chime in here on my experience. Though, I won't speak to the difficulty of the problems. It is different for everyone.

Chris

7 isn't bad for a PFAR, I would casually keep studying between now and when you eventually get board results, if you have seen how people are getting OCS dates for late next year that could indicate that the boards will be more selective, being ready to retake the ASTB and score higher gives you an reason to reapply right away.

exNavyOffRec

Congrats on the scores Chris! I’m shooting for 60s and 6s of course I’ll be happy getting a higher score but seems to me if you get writhing the 50s-60s and 6s across you’ll be fine
so you are shooting for the minimum scores? you should be trying to get 8's and 9's, especially looking at how things are looking much more competitive.

Oshun8235

Hi all,

Chris

Thanks for the words

Hi all,

I am currently holding a private pilot license and should have my instrument rating on Jan 19th if all goes well with my checkride. I have a 4 year degree in finance I got a 2.83 GPA, and am currently getting my associates degree in aviation (I have >3.5 GPA in that currently.) I have taken this exam 3 times My 1st time I got 45 5,5,5 second time 42,4,7,5. So each time I was 1 point away from qualifying. This third time I got 53, 6,8,6.

Math: Kyles gouge definitely helps a lot. The third time I got 0 DRT problems. I would say make sure you know how to simplify expressions. On at least 2 of the tests I have had one where its something like (5^-2)+(x^2)+y^-1 / (5^2)+(x)+(y^-3) - I think that is the exact question (maybe a little different I can't remember exactly) I had on the third exam. My best advice on math is to make an educated guess if you are unsure, try multiplying the numbers together then dividing by a number, the numbers go into each other some way or another. One question I had that i can remember was what is the probability of rolling an 8 with 2 dice.

Reading: I did not do this, but if I did this over I would MAKE SURE I HAD EAR PLUGS. Trying to read those boring passages while the people in the area are talking/making noise is tough. My best advice for this is to take your time read and re read if you have to after looking at the questions

Mechanical: I know the past 2 tests I had a question relating bournellis principle, I had one question where there were 4 springs and 100kg block spring 1 and 2 were connected to each other and the 100 kg block and spring 3 and 4 were connected to each other and the 100 kg block. The question asked what load was spring 2 holding. I put 50 kg because I had remembered seeing one like that on this forum.

UAV: use the compass trick, I personally liked to have N, 30, 60, E, 120, 150, S, 210, 240, W, 300, 330 on my compass that i drew.

ANIT: pretty basic for me since I have my PPL. Things to know are that when an airplane is generating LIFT it is producing wake turbulence. Also know how weight effects the critical angle of attack and stall speed. I think on page 386 there is a good link to a quizlet for the aviation history. Look online for private pilot ground lesson videos.

NAFTI: would it viewed as dishonorable or a character flaw is how I made my decision for a lot of them. I also always went with questions that I am a team player and liked leadership

Stick/Throttle: pretty straight forward, I try and guess what the bugs will do and usually can guess right. Focus on the joystick bug and use peripheral for throttle bug.

RNeptune

Hello everyone! I am taking the ASTB on January 15th. I have been studying for a little over a month now using recommended study guides and Kyle's gouge. However, there is a lot of information. If anyone has any last minute advice or materials / study guides and willing to share I would be more than thankful! All of this is pretty new to me so I am nervous to say the least. I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in psychology with a 3.8 GPA so needless to say my degree was not focused on this type of knowledge. My main motivation to join the Navy is because my husband is in. I have always been interested in joining however just never took the leap to actually do it. We discussed me finally joining and it will be a great move for our future. Thanks again!

PEFO Silver-Shades

Hello everyone! I am taking the ASTB on January 15th. I have been studying for a little over a month now using recommended study guides and Kyle's gouge. However, there is a lot of information. If anyone has any last minute advice or materials / study guides and willing to share I would be more than thankful! All of this is pretty new to me so I am nervous to say the least. I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in psychology with a 3.8 GPA so needless to say my degree was not focused on this type of knowledge. My main motivation to join the Navy is because my husband is in. I have always been interested in joining however just never took the leap to actually do it. We discussed me finally joining and it will be a great move for our future. Thanks again!
I'd Suggest if your pursuing SNA/NFO, to focus on the PBM, and ANIT portion. The ASTB seems to be the major importance in those boards. if your looking into INTEL, CeC, Supply or SWO, Page 397-398 i believe has pretty much every study guide throughout the this entire gouge when i skimmed through it

RNeptune

I'd Suggest if your pursuing SNA/NFO, to focus on the PBM, and ANIT portion. The ASTB seems to be the major importance in those boards. if your looking into INTEL, CeC, Supply or SWO, Page 397-398 i believe has pretty much every study guide throughout the this entire gouge when i skimmed through it
Thank you, I am applying for SNA/ NFO. I am trying to break down what to study because there is a lot of information and I dont want to focus too much on the wrong material.

RNeptune

I meant to say material, not knowledge.