• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

NevarYalnal

Hello all, I plan on applying for NFO but don’t know when after I take the ASTB. I am rushing to take it this month in hopes to apply for January but I don’t think it’s worth it since the cut off date I saw online was Dec. 11. I couldn’t find the next board meeting for NFO. Anyone know if I’m wrong about this date?

below was posted on reddit about a month ago, but you should confirm with your OR if anything has changed.

mcap

Just took the ASTB for the first time and got 54 7/6/7. I am a recent graduate with a degree in Biomedical engineering with a GPA of 3.3. Recruiter told me the scores would be competitive to apply for SNA, but am wondering what people think?

exNavyOffRec

Just took the ASTB for the first time and got 54 7/6/7. I am a recent graduate with a degree in Biomedical engineering with a GPA of 3.3. Recruiter told me the scores would be competitive to apply for SNA, but am wondering what people think?

Roll the dice, your PFAR is a 6 which is the minimum, you may get lucky.

AZliving

Hey guys, I'm studying Kyles's study guide, particularly the independent/dependent events sheet, question #18. P(A)=7/10 P(A or B)=173/200 P(B)=?
I cannot seem to confirm his answer of 11/20 online, and the one I did find online was the same answer I came up with, which was 33/200. I must not be noticing my error or something but I can't seem to put a finger on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

NevarYalnal

Hey guys, I'm studying Kyles's study guide, particularly the independent/dependent events sheet, question #18. P(A)=7/10 P(A or B)=173/200 P(B)=?
I cannot seem to confirm his answer of 11/20 online, and the one I did find online was the same answer I came up with, which was 33/200. I must not be noticing my error or something but I can't seem to put a finger on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

the guide sometimes has incorrect answers, 33/200 is right if the events are independent: P(A or B) - P(A) = P(B)

Mrs.Toast

Alright all you cool cats and kittens (Carole Baskins), been lurking a several months. Took the ASTB back in August. Scored terrible 40 3/5/5. I studied an astb prep book that i found on amazon. Terrible idea. I was overly confident about the compass trick (also terrible). So i didn't post my scores or any of that. Decided I would study Kyle's (amazing) Gouge. Literally all you need is that folder and the link to the anit flash cards. Took the test for the second time yesterday and scored a 56 6/6/6.
MATH. -Had a few "if x=4z and y=6z then what does y=" type questions, quite a few DRT problems, a few area and perimeter, 1 interest %, a couple average, and quite a bit of probability. For the ones i felt would take too long for me (who isn't the best at math without a calculator lol) i just tried to make an educated guess. Strictly studied kyle's gouge for this. I felt like i made improvements.
MECHANICAL- Saw questions about the venture effect, acceleration due to gravity 9.81 m/s squared 32.17ft./s squared, the bernoulie effect, levers, one wedge question, and an electrical symbol identification question, and lastly pulley's. Nothing too complicated here. I felt like I did a lot better with this compared to the first time. Again Kyle's gouge.
READING- I don't struggle with reading so it was easy enough. Towards the end i was getting anxious because I didn't want to run out of time like i did the first time. I noticed I had to catch myself because I began to answer it just to answer rather than pay attention to wording. Felt I did good the first and second time here. However the first time I believe i did run out of time. No studying here
OAR =56
TRAIT FACET-Not much to say here. Taking it the second time was annoying. The directions for this section popped up then the whole section disappeared and went right into pbm. When i finished pbm I only had an oar score and not complete ASTB. Anxiety through the rough because I was ready to see if those scores improved like i needed them to. So chief made a phone call and it basically showed that I had the exam on the screen too long and it timed out so they were able to reset that portion so that I could actually do it. Then i was able to get all scores.

PBM- So my first time I felt like i knew what i was doing with the compass trick. I messed myself up because i felt like i was cool enough to draw a compass and add in the NE NW SE SE lines. BOY I WAS WRONG. it completely threw me off with having to identify the parking lots. I missed quite a few. So I changed things up a second time. While lurking on here I saw someone say the compass wasn't the most efficient trick. So i drew down the scenarios with how the marker actually looks with said parking lots for each possible direction. This actually was faster and more efficient (after practicing 6 times to make sure I was good to go). I only missed one because I accidentally clicked because my finger was ancy. None the less MAJOR improvement.
TRACKING- Felt like this went smoother the second time than the first, mostly because i knew what to expect.
DICHOTIC- Wasn't bad. I missed 1 or two due to complacency of getting in the groove. Nothing too diffuclt here
EMERGENCY PROCEDURES- I missed one because I had Just heard engine and assumed it was the fire (even though i had already successfully completed) and tried to do it again. Not realizing it was engine malfunction because I only wrote down the word malfunction for that procedure.

All in all, STUDY KYLES GOUGE and you will be fine. I also saw the girl next to me writing down formulas for the OAR and NO ONE seemed to care so I may or may not have done the same. I will advise that writing the possible compass variations down is better than the compass trick as long as you can identify each one quickly. I averaged 2 seconds. I think my longest was 4. In between sections I wrote down motivating/encouraging words for myself. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL still needing to take the ASTB. I am pleased with my scores and hopefully they are good enough for the Jan Board.
I can't find Kyles Gouge anywhere, can you drop a link or point me in the right direction please?

Duffman

None
Contributor
Hey everyone if you guys are curious about your scores and how they will correlate to the selection board, I’ll be posting the links of the past boards with the applicants that got selected and there scores. I hope this can give people more of an understanding that you don’t need amazing scores to get selected. Also please don’t edit the documents

WannaFlyHigh

Hey everyone if you guys are curious about your scores and how they will correlate to the selection board, I’ll be posting the links of the past boards with the applicants that got selected and there scores. I hope this can give people more of an understanding that you don’t need amazing scores to get selected. Also please don’t edit the documents

Damn I wish I was part of that October Board