• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

mich313

Supply/SWO/Intel
I did actually have a question that used sin/cos in it now that I think about it, but it was just knowledge of cardinal angles (30,45,60,90 and their multiples) and the value of sin/cos at those points. The problem asked if a triangle had legs that were 2,3, and 4, what was the approximate angle of the smallest angle in the triangle (or something similar). If that's cryptic, I can try to draw up the problem and an explanation of how to do it later on tonight, it's very easy and very helpful for a lot of vector/physics problems you might never run into.
Haha I appreciate the assist j.fLo. I didn't take physics in high school so I feel like I'm playing major catch up. I'm hopeful that if I understand the concepts and principles, I'll be able to work out the answers on the test.

I'm not worried about the math or reading sections as much...every practice test I've taken I've gotten upper 80 percent on those. Mechanics I am just really struggling with, but I'll get there!

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Thank you! :) I may re-test, but I think I more just want to get in and have everything start. We will see! :D
I dont think anyone with a 5 PFAR was selected at the July board (at least not on AW). If you want aviation, re take.

Kristoffer Abonal

"Non Sibi Sed Patriae!"
damn already got a score the same day? i was unlucky to take paper test, will probably have to wait a month or so haha

I mostly focused on the Mech Comp portion when studying to be honest. The Math and Reading is very straight forward, as long as you have a good handling on the Mech you'll do great.

Kristoffer Abonal

"Non Sibi Sed Patriae!"
It is a bit more than that, otherwise my applicants and/or my NRD just had guys that did very well

I'm not banking on my ASTB Score alone, hoping the boards will be impressed with my app overall so I can get into Intel-O. From your knowledge what things should I focus on in my app and also motivation statement to make my app stand out if you don't mind my asking. I have a 3.28 gpa, Political Science and Philosophy Degree from LMU, and also had various leadership role through my life. I currently work for a law firm in Santa Monica and coach Crossfit.

mich313

Supply/SWO/Intel
I mostly focused on the Mech Comp portion when studying to be honest. The Math and Reading is very straight forward, as long as you have a good handling on the Mech you'll do great.
Yea I'm focusing my attention mostly on mechanics as well. But I'm doing some math just because I'm worried about the time constraints. I understand it, but I don't think I work them out fast enough.

exNavyOffRec

I'm not banking on my ASTB Score alone, hoping the boards will be impressed with my app overall so I can get into Intel-O. From your knowledge what things should I focus on in my app and also motivation statement to make my app stand out if you don't mind my asking. I have a 3.28 gpa, Political Science and Philosophy Degree from LMU, and also had various leadership role through my life. I currently work for a law firm in Santa Monica and coach Crossfit.

You have a decent shot at SWO, Intel would be a longshot, the pick heavily from enlisted, both prior service, reserve, and active duty, in addition they slant toward tech degrees and list preferred tech degrees as anything STEM related.

FYI, Intel is really a longshot for anyone they have an incredibly low selection rate, one board had 900 applications for 30 spots.

Navy Ship

Took the ASTB (Form 3) yesterday morning: 8/8/9/62.

Spatial was easy, different from the book, but not difficult. The book will still help you prepare

Aviation/Nautical was mostly what was in the book, with a couple of problems that I didn't know the answer too, but could guess fairly well at.

-Jon

Does having a PPL help at all with the Spatial / ANIT sections?

j.fLo

Does having a PPL help at all with the Spatial / ANIT sections?

I'm not sure, I think from flying I have a better general feeling of what each attitude would look like in the spatial section (or I kind of feel in my mind what I would be feeling in the seat) and that helps, but I think if you just remember where the horizon goes for climbing and diving and what the horizon does in turns you'd be fine as well. The only thing the ASTB tossed into the mix that is different from the study guides was varying angles of bank.

As far as the ANIT section, I feel like having the knowledge previously helped me study, or let me focus more on other sections which improved my overall score. I wouldn't recommend starting a PPL just to do better on the ASTB, but if you plan to pursue flying and are interested in pursuing a PPL, it'll definitely let you know if you like flying while giving you some extra knowledge. I also hear that the study guides for the PPL written are helpful, but I'm not sure I would go through hundreds of pages, because of how basic most of the ASTB questions are.

Jlaz

New here. I'm hearing some talk about a "new" test with a different spatial section? Is this true? All the study guides and practice tests I can find all have the same type of spatial questions. I take the test Monday the 30th

Connie

I took the test yesterday - form 4. I thought the math overall would have been considered easy. My only problem was having enough time, which was my biggest issue on the test overall. Mechanics was okay. I was expecting more MA questions and I only had 2. I had a few on this section that were different from any of the study guides I used. I did have 2 circuit questions. I did think that the Aviation/Nautical section had some difficult questions that I do not see how they would have expected you to know. Like if you are on a carrier, what is in a purple pipe? All of my history questions were not covered in any of the gouges on here or the study books. Nothing on John Paul Jones or the first man in space. There were also a lot of abbreviations in questions, so if you did not know them, you were out of luck. I also had 1-2 questions on types of aircraft but the answer choices were none of the ones covered in the gouges or study guides like C-130, F-14, F-18, A-6, or EA-6B. So I was basically SOL for those questions. I will be retaking the test though b/c I was not happy with my overall score though I was told it was not that bad when analyzed with my GPA and degrees. I'm just glad I have enough time to retake before the apps are due in Nov. for the Dec. boards. Also the average scores for last year's Dec. boards for pilot were 7/7/7 and I was told yesterday that the average OAR scores the testing center had been seeing was 50

exNavyOffRec

I took the test yesterday - form 4. I thought the math overall would have been considered easy. My only problem was having enough time, which was my biggest issue on the test overall. Mechanics was okay. I was expecting more MA questions and I only had 2. I had a few on this section that were different from any of the study guides I used. I did have 2 circuit questions. I did think that the Aviation/Nautical section had some difficult questions that I do not see how they would have expected you to know. Like if you are on a carrier, what is in a purple pipe? All of my history questions were not covered in any of the gouges on here or the study books. Nothing on John Paul Jones or the first man in space. There were also a lot of abbreviations in questions, so if you did not know them, you were out of luck. I also had 1-2 questions on types of aircraft but the answer choices were none of the ones covered in the gouges or study guides like C-130, F-14, F-18, A-6, or EA-6B. So I was basically SOL for those questions. I will be retaking the test though b/c I was not happy with my overall score though I was told it was not that bad when analyzed with my GPA and degrees. I'm just glad I have enough time to retake before the apps are due in Nov. for the Dec. boards. Also the average scores for last year's Dec. boards for pilot were 7/7/7 and I was told yesterday that the average OAR scores the testing center had been seeing was 50

If you want to be a Pilot, go with what you have, you should have a better than average shot, and should you not get picked up on the first try then retaking allows you to re-apply before 6 months.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want to be a Pilot, go with what you have...
I couldn't find Connie's test scores anywhere, did I miss something?

*OBTW, how did you manage a BA, MA (w/ top notch GPAs); and a law degree at age 24? Pretty impressive to this 'po country boy!
BzB

Last edited: