• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

tdogsmith

Dangle Meistro
Congrats on the score tdogsmith! That's awesome!!
Thanks mich313. A 56 OAR is a phenomenal score for someone without an advanced physics/engineering background, in my opinion (from what you posted I guessed you don't have that background). I don't know about you but I'm just glad to have the test over with and to move on.

mich313

Supply/SWO/Intel
Thanks mich313. A 56 OAR is a phenomenal score for someone without an advanced physics/engineering background, in my opinion (from what you posted I guessed you don't have that background). I don't know about you but I'm just glad to have the test over with and to move on.
Amen!! Definitely a load off my chest! Now I can focus on things like getting LoRs and cutting caffeine (eeeekkkkk!!!)

Kees

SNA Select
Greetings folks!

I'm applying for a SNA slot, took the ASTB for the first time today and did OK: 45/5/6/6 (OAR and AQR are a little low).

According to my recruiter, 50/6/6/6 was considered competitive earlier this year. However, my recruiter's CO informed me that scores considered to be "competitive" recently dropped. Unfortunately, he did not have the new competitive scores handy. Has anyone else heard about or seen these new scores?

Aside from my OAR and AQR, I have a decent (good, but not great) package:

- Bachelor of Science in Aeronautics, ERAU
- GPA: 3.8
- Professional References: 3 USAF Colonels (O-6), 1 USAF Lieutenant Colonel (O-5)--one of the O-6's was also my college professor
- 7.5 years honorable active service in the USAF (zero performance demerits/no derogatory information)
- Strong Motivational Statement (according to my recruiter)

I am applying to the December SNA/NFO board with my current ASTB scores, and will retest and reapply to the March board if non-selected. Let me know what you all think. Also, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions others may have.

Cheers!

Kristoffer Abonal

"Non Sibi Sed Patriae!"
Thanks Kristoffer Abonal, congrats on your score as well. I'm going for SNA, I'm not sure whether I want to apply for NFO as well. I was planning to submit my package for the December '13 boards but my graduation date is about a month longer than the 6 month max window you have to be in to apply. So I guess I'm going to have to wait until April '14.

That's unfortunate tdogsmith, I wish you luck on the April '14 boards. I just finished my package and planning to send it out next week. You and I are going for different communities, I'm going for IO, SWO, and Supply. Good luck.

Kristoffer Abonal

"Non Sibi Sed Patriae!"
Greetings folks!

I'm applying for a SNA slot, took the ASTB for the first time today and did OK: 45/5/6/6 (OAR and AQR are a little low).

According to my recruiter, 50/6/6/6 was considered competitive earlier this year. However, my recruiter's CO informed me that scores considered to be "competitive" recently dropped. Unfortunately, he did not have the new competitive scores handy. Has anyone else heard about or seen these new scores?

Aside from my OAR and AQR, I have a decent (good, but not great) package:

- Bachelor of Science in Aeronautics, ERAU
- GPA: 3.8
- Professional References: 3 USAF Colonels (O-6), 1 USAF Lieutenant Colonel (O-5)--one of the O-6's was also my college professor
- 7.5 years honorable active service in the USAF (zero performance demerits/no derogatory information)
- Strong Motivational Statement (according to my recruiter)

I am applying to the December SNA/NFO board with my current ASTB scores, and will retest and reapply to the March board if non-selected. Let me know what you all think. Also, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions others may have.

Cheers!

My OR told me competitive right now is 48 and up, so I think you're sitting pretty with a 50. Focus on your package and the motivational statement.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My OR told me competitive right now is 48 and up, so I think you're sitting pretty with a 50. Focus on your package and the motivational statement.
You misread, he stated OAR as 45!

What scores are competitive, can vary from board to board, but CANNOT be quantified until after each board submits it's selections. So in reality, even if your grades are somewhat lower than "predicted" to be competitive, go ahead and submit, as an unsubmitted package has no chance.:oops: If time permits, retake the ASTB/OAR to try and improve scores. Otherwise, take a shot, and if no select... retake & resubmit at next available board(s).:).
BzB

Kees

SNA Select
I appreciate the input! I am submitting my package to the December board with my current scores. For the time being, I will buckle down on the academics and retest before the March board (assuming I am not selected). Hopefully my scores will improve!

exNavyOffRec

Greetings folks!

Well, if the competitive scores dropped from what he stated they would be at the minimum as the minimums are 5's.

I would retake before submitting if you can, if you look at who was picked up last time it was not common to see a person picked with your scores, given you background I believe you should do better.

Kees

SNA Select
Well, if the competitive scores dropped from what he stated they would be at the minimum as the minimums are 5's.

I would retake before submitting if you can, if you look at who was picked up last time it was not common to see a person picked with your scores, given you background I believe you should do better.

Unfortunately, my recruiter has to have my package in by the end of the month. With the 31 day minimum between the first and second ASTB attempt, I will have to wait to retest for the March board.

My weakness was the math section. Math is one of those skills that diminishes if it goes unused. I haven't taken a math class for a few years and with my transition from active duty to civilian life the last few weeks, I did not get enough study time in. Regardless, I accept responsibility for my scores, of course.

I plan on buckling down to study over the next few months. Hopefully my scores will improve enough for the March board and the board members will take note of the improvement.

Thanks for your input and advice NavyOffRec! I appreciate it!

Cheers!

Kristoffer Abonal

"Non Sibi Sed Patriae!"
You misread, he stated OAR as 45!

What scores are competitive, can vary from board to board, but CANNOT be quantified until after each board submits it's selections. So in reality, even if your grades are somewhat lower than "predicted" to be competitive, go ahead and submit, as an unsubmitted package has no chance.:oops: If time permits, retake the ASTB/OAR to try and improve scores. Otherwise, take a shot, and if no select... retake & resubmit at next available board(s).:).
BzB

Ahh I see, misread that. Well I totally agree with BZB, you should still send out your package and see how it goes. Worst thing that happens is you just reapply for the next boards.

Adam Janot

Took the ASTB on Sept 30th and got a 7 / 7 / 8 - 56. I want Marine Corps Aviation, but my only problem is the next board til they aviation applicants with a guarantee spot to flight school is not until July. The Oct/Nov board has no slots for aviation. And the March drill is only for PLC, Reserve and Female candidates.

I am 29 years old and will nearly be 30 if I wait for July 2014 board. I will definitely need an age waiver for aviation, which I might be to old by then. I did nine years enlisted in the Reserves as an NCO, but that only counts for so much. PFT is a 284 and CFT is 299, but CFT doesn't count for crap unfortunately. My GPA was an amazing 2.8 in Biological Sciences. And my work experience is as a seasonal Wildlife BioTech, a seasonal NPS Park Ranger and as a substitute teacher in the wintertime.

Any advice from anyone who has already been accepted? Go for the current board with my scores on file and hope to compete for an aviation slot in TBS? Or burn up this board and work out like crazy for another 9 months to go in front of the July board?

Kees

SNA Select
Took the ASTB on Sept 30th and got a 7 / 7 / 8 - 56. I want Marine Corps Aviation, but my only problem is the next board til they aviation applicants with a guarantee spot to flight school is not until July. The Oct/Nov board has no slots for aviation. And the March drill is only for PLC, Reserve and Female candidates.

I am 29 years old and will nearly be 30 if I wait for July 2014 board. I will definitely need an age waiver for aviation, which I might be to old by then. I did nine years enlisted in the Reserves as an NCO, but that only counts for so much. PFT is a 284 and CFT is 299, but CFT doesn't count for crap unfortunately. My GPA was an amazing 2.8 in Biological Sciences. And my work experience is as a seasonal Wildlife BioTech, a seasonal NPS Park Ranger and as a substitute teacher in the wintertime.

Any advice from anyone who has already been accepted? Go for the current board with my scores on file and hope to compete for an aviation slot in TBS? Or burn up this board and work out like crazy for another 9 months to go in front of the July board?

Hey Adam!

If I am not mistaken, you have to be selected for aviation prior to your 29th birthday... Can anyone confirm or debunk this?

At the end of the day, you are applying to become a commissioned officer. Given your age and how competitive all the boards are, I would not pass up an opportunity to get selected for something--unless it is aviation or bust. Even if selected for a non-flying position, you can still turn the job down and reapply to the following aviation board if you change your mind. This will give you some board experience, which will give you a better idea of what the Marines are looking for in their officers. This will allow you to tailor your approach to the aviation board a little more accurately.

Your current scores are definitely competitive for aviation. As long as the rest of your package is strong, I don't see why (aside from age) you wouldn't get selected.

Best of luck to you!

Navy Ship

Hey Adam!

If I am not mistaken, you have to be selected for aviation prior to your 29th birthday... Can anyone confirm or debunk this?

At the end of the day, you are applying to become a commissioned officer. Given your age and how competitive all the boards are, I would not pass up an opportunity to get selected for something--unless it is aviation or bust. Even if selected for a non-flying position, you can still turn the job down and reapply to the following aviation board if you change your mind. This will give you some board experience, which will give you a better idea of what the Marines are looking for in their officers. This will allow you to tailor your approach to the aviation board a little more accurately.

Your current scores are definitely competitive for aviation. As long as the rest of your package is strong, I don't see why (aside from age) you wouldn't get selected.

Best of luck to you!
I think they make exceptions for prior enlisted.

Kees

SNA Select
I think they make exceptions for prior enlisted.

The standard for non-prior is commissioned prior to your 27th birthday. The exception for prior enlisted is an age waiver up to your 24 months (29 years) for pilot and 48 months (31 years) for NFO. I don't think they go beyond that for aviation slots.

exNavyOffRec

The standard for non-prior is commissioned prior to your 27th birthday. The exception for prior enlisted is an age waiver up to your 24 months (29 years) for pilot and 48 months (31 years) for NFO. I don't think they go beyond that for aviation slots.

USMC rules are different than USN rules