• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

mich313

Supply/SWO/Intel
My OR told me that to go into Intel I only needed to take the OAR portion of the test, but I'm seeing mixed information on that here. Can somebody clarify for me?

Thanks!

exNavyOffRec

My OR told me that to go into Intel I only needed to take the OAR portion of the test, but I'm seeing mixed information on that here. Can somebody clarify for me?

Thanks!

Intel only require the OAR, there was some errors in info put out before, and before that it may have required the AQR, but not now.

mich313

Supply/SWO/Intel
Intel only require the OAR, there was some errors in info put out before, and before that it may have required the AQR, but not now.

Thank you very much! I've been studying and plan to take it next week but haven't looked at anything outside of OAR and was terrified it wasn't enough! Hopeful that I can get a really good score to counter my bs degree (psych, 3.24 GPA)

exNavyOffRec

Thank you very much! I've been studying and plan to take it next week but haven't looked at anything outside of OAR and was terrified it wasn't enough! Hopeful that I can get a really good score to counter my bs degree (psych, 3.24 GPA)

There is a great misconception that the OAR counters degrees and/or GPA's, in actuality the OAR is just a small check in the box with the degree type and GPA being a big part, the selection rate for any IDC designator is extremely low with a good many being selected from the enlisted/prior service applicants, if your goal is to be a USN officer then you should apply for any designator you are qualified to apply for as early as you can.

mich313

Supply/SWO/Intel
There is a great misconception that the OAR counters degrees and/or GPA's, in actuality the OAR is just a small check in the box with the degree type and GPA being a big part, the selection rate for any IDC designator is extremely low with a good many being selected from the enlisted/prior service applicants, if your goal is to be a USN officer then you should apply for any designator you are qualified to apply for as early as you can.
Thanks for the clarifications. I am very unknowledgable about a lot of how this works. I'm just getting started and my OR wants to see my ASTB score before we sit down and discuss my options. So I've been trying to read and piece it all together.

Appreciate your feedback!!

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the clarifications. I am very unknowledgable about a lot of how this works. I'm just getting started and my OR wants to see my ASTB score before we sit down and discuss my options. So I've been trying to read and piece it all together.

Appreciate your feedback!!

That is odd, normally you talk about what the options are and then take the ASTB, unless he is trying to see if you qualify for aviation and push you that way.

j.fLo

Took the ASTB (Form 3) yesterday morning: 8/8/9/62.

I found the Math section to be far easier than the Barron's/Peterson books let on (in that everything was pretty much whole number factors, and mostly even numbers). I consider myself bad at mental math for an engineer, and I could do most of these in my head.

The reading section was pretty easy, comparable to what was in the books, but no definitions, etc. just passages and what can be inferred.

Mechanical wasn't too bad, but then again I'm an engineer, so I'm used to the thinking process required to solve those types of problems. Similar to what is in the books.

Spatial was easy, different from the book, but not difficult. The book will still help you prepare

Aviation/Nautical was mostly what was in the book, with a couple of problems that I didn't know the answer too, but could guess fairly well at.

Supplemental was mostly aviation related, I didn't find it difficult.

By and large, the Peterson/Barron's books are a good source (although there are a couple errors in figures, etc that might make you angry). I studied for about the past week, did all the practice exams, and I think I did reasonably well. I'm looking to apply for SNA in the December board, so after that if there is anyone planning to take the ASTB, please feel free to PM me and we can work out a way to get you the study books that will be cheaper than buying them online or in a store. I also cannot stress enough how helpful this site was (and will continue to be, im sure) as a resource. Prior to my graduation, this all was just some big dream of mine, and through educating myself with what's been posted on here and taking some initiative, I'm slowly coming closer and closer to making this a reality.

-Jon

TnSig

SNA
Took the ASTB (Form 3) yesterday morning: 8/8/9/62.

-Jon
Those are outstanding scores. Consider me jealous! I was using Military Flight Aptitude Tests for dummies. Obviously I picked the wrong book. If December doesn't work out for me and I retake then I'm definitely going to get the Barron's or peterson book.

mich313

Supply/SWO/Intel
That is odd, normally you talk about what the options are and then take the ASTB, unless he is trying to see if you qualify for aviation and push you that way.
I thought it was weird too! But like I said, I'm new to this so I don't know the difference. I emailed him yesterday afternoon about scheduling my test for next week, hopefully I'll hear back from him soon, but I know recruiters are crazy busy so I get to practice being patient haha

j.fLo

Those are outstanding scores. Consider me jealous! I was using Military Flight Aptitude Tests for dummies. Obviously I picked the wrong book. If December doesn't work out for me and I retake then I'm definitely going to get the Barron's or peterson book.
Killer scores! Great post, should prove very helpful for those taking the tests in the future.
View attachment 12899
BzB

Thank you both for the kind words.

TnSig- Best of luck to you in the December board!

mich313

Supply/SWO/Intel
On the mechanical section, will I have to be able to know formulas and do the math or do I just need to know the relationships/how they work? With such a time constraint I'm stressing big time about the complexity of some of these formulas!

j.fLo

On the mechanical section, will I have to be able to know formulas and do the math or do I just need to know the relationships/how they work? With such a time constraint I'm stressing big time about the complexity of some of these formulas!
They had a "formulas" section that you can use during the test, but I never even had to open it. Everything is pretty straightforward. the worst thing they might ask is about a 2 gear system saying "if gear A turns X times, how many times does gear B turn?" which you can find with the gearing ratio. Other than that, they might ask how much weight is felt when lifting a weight with a pulley system, which you can find by dividing the weight by the number of ropes not attached to the effort. Beyond those 2 things, everything I had was completely conceptual.

mich313

Supply/SWO/Intel
They had a "formulas" section that you can use during the test, but I never even had to open it. Everything is pretty straightforward. the worst thing they might ask is about a 2 gear system saying "if gear A turns X times, how many times does gear B turn?" which you can find with the gearing ratio. Other than that, they might ask how much weight is felt when lifting a weight with a pulley system, which you can find by dividing the weight by the number of ropes not attached to the effort. Beyond those 2 things, everything I had was completely conceptual.
Thank you! I was looking through this book and seeing formulas with sin and cos and was starting to panic a little!

j.fLo

I did actually have a question that used sin/cos in it now that I think about it, but it was just knowledge of cardinal angles (30,45,60,90 and their multiples) and the value of sin/cos at those points. The problem asked if a triangle had legs that were 2,3, and 4, what was the approximate angle of the smallest angle in the triangle (or something similar). If that's cryptic, I can try to draw up the problem and an explanation of how to do it later on tonight, it's very easy and very helpful for a lot of vector/physics problems you might never run into.