• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
i just took the ASTB last week and i thought the mechanical section was pure common sense, but also that might be because i am an engineer.

I struggled a little bit with this section, but I did pretty well overall because I studied the gouge. I think it comes easy for all the math-, science- and engineering-types. For the journalism major who hadn't taken a math-utilizing science course since high school, not so much. Know yourself, identify your weak points and do what you have to do to overcome them.

JCD

I struggled a little bit with this section, but I did pretty well overall because I studied the gouge. I think it comes easy for all the math-, science- and engineering-types. For the journalism major who hadn't taken a math-utilizing science course since high school, not so much. Know yourself, identify your weak points and do what you have to do to overcome them.

I took the ASTB today and just want to echo what AllYourBass said. Know what your strengths and weaknesses are, and prepare accordingly. I have a BA in Communications and an MA in International Affairs, so math and physics were never required. While I think I did well on the reading section, I definitely struggled with mechanical, and less so with math. Should I have boned up more for mechanical? Absolutely. But that's the beauty of being able to take this thing a few times ;)

Take the Peterson's practice test online (do a little search on here and you'll find it), identify what you need to work on, and go from there.

MiracleWhip

Was the mechanical more conceptual or calculations?

Also, were y'all taking the new tests? With the UAV and joystick, and personality questions and all?

JCD

Was the mechanical more conceptual or calculations?

Without getting into the specifics, you might be asked questions that require knowledge of certain concepts, as well as knowing how to calculate and plug in numbers on the mechanical section. Not just doing the practice tests, but having a solid understanding of the reasoning behind the answers of the questions on the practice tests will be very helpful.

Also, were y'all taking the new tests? With the UAV and joystick, and personality questions and all?

I only took form 4 of the OAR on the computer, and there were no personality questions.

MiracleWhip

It actually does, as the old and new vary greatly. As such, I have to study accordingly as some material in the old are no longer used and vice versa.

freighttrain

Just took the ASTB today 6/7/6 54 form 3
Math: not near as difficult as I thought it would be; I'm lousy at math and I thought I did fairly well so I would not stress out about it too much.....make sure you know how to work with ratios and exponents
Reading: This section was slightly harder than some of the practice tests I took, I don't think it had any word definitions in it which surprised me a little.
Mechanical comprehension: This was probably the toughest section for me, I would advise all to know the equation you would use to balance a weight on a fulcrum. I believe there was one question on this part that asked when a pilot would feel the most g's in a loop and I put at the beginning of the loop (when the plane first starts to climb, no idea if that's right, I just guessed).
Spatial: I knew the practice test are not the same as the real questions and that was defiantly true but I didn't think it was too difficult to figure out.
Aviation/Nautical: this mostly had to do with airplanes; one question that I did not know was about wake turbulence and one about types of airplane categories or something like that (I put utility, normal, and aerobatic). Another question that I didn't know went something like, "what is the max loading for the normal category prescribed by the FAA for a utility category aircraft", the awnser choices were something like 2.98, 2.7, 3.48. Also know what aspect ratio is.
AST: This section mostly had to do with planes and a few questions about parts on a boat (know what the forcastle and freeboard is).
Overall the test was not as bad as I expected....my suggestion is study hard and just relax and take it easy on test day. My test was on the computer and the stupid thing ran fairly slow but I had time left over after every section. I think I will apply with these scores, I'm currently a junior in college, 2.99 GPA, private pilots license with insturment rating (working on commercial and CFI now). The study material I used was the Peterson Military Flight Apptuitude Test and the Barron's version, both were immensely helpful. So keep after it and good luck to all.

MiracleWhip

His answer was located in his previous post; test 4. Current test are 3, 4, and 5.

Sorry sir, I am confused. What I meant to ask was if the new test I've heard on these forums have been in effect. (The ones with unlimited math questions in 40 mins, joystick spatial, etc.)

This one -> http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/newest-astb-version-overview.39791/

I have used the Marine Gouge, and atrickpay's gouge to study. I just wanted to know if the test above has been rolled out so I can study accordingly.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry sir, I am confused. What I meant to ask was if the new test I've heard on these forums have been in effect. (The ones with unlimited math questions in 40 mins, joystick spatial, etc.)

This one -> http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/newest-astb-version-overview.39791/

I have used the Marine Gouge, and atrickpay's gouge to study. I just wanted to know if the test above has been rolled out so I can study accordingly.
I'm familiar with that thread....if you look more closely, you'll see I posted in that thread.

I'll echo what was said more than a YEAR ago by me...The NEW versions of the tests are not out yet. Focus on what you can control...your knowledge of the current test. You seem to be freaking out about nothing. Have you taken the current test yet? If not, why not?

BTW, when most of us old dudes took the AQT/FAR, the ASTB predecessor, there wasn't gouge out there. You just walked in and took the test cold. You either passed it, or needed to retake it. I failed my first test for not meeting the min score on BI...took the test again a few months later and passed. Again no gouge.

j.fLo

Just took the ASTB today 6/7/6 54 form 3
Math: not near as difficult as I thought it would be; I'm lousy at math and I thought I did fairly well so I would not stress out about it too much.....make sure you know how to work with ratios and exponents
Reading: This section was slightly harder than some of the practice tests I took, I don't think it had any word definitions in it which surprised me a little.
Mechanical comprehension: This was probably the toughest section for me, I would advise all to know the equation you would use to balance a weight on a fulcrum. I believe there was one question on this part that asked when a pilot would feel the most g's in a loop and I put at the beginning of the loop (when the plane first starts to climb, no idea if that's right, I just guessed).
Spatial: I knew the practice test are not the same as the real questions and that was defiantly true but I didn't think it was too difficult to figure out.
Aviation/Nautical: this mostly had to do with airplanes; one question that I did not know was about wake turbulence and one about types of airplane categories or something like that (I put utility, normal, and aerobatic). Another question that I didn't know went something like, "what is the max loading for the normal category prescribed by the FAA for a utility category aircraft", the awnser choices were something like 2.98, 2.7, 3.48. Also know what aspect ratio is.
AST: This section mostly had to do with planes and a few questions about parts on a boat (know what the forcastle and freeboard is).
Overall the test was not as bad as I expected....my suggestion is study hard and just relax and take it easy on test day. My test was on the computer and the stupid thing ran fairly slow but I had time left over after every section. I think I will apply with these scores, I'm currently a junior in college, 2.99 GPA, private pilots license with insturment rating (working on commercial and CFI now). The study material I used was the Peterson Military Flight Apptuitude Test and the Barron's version, both were immensely helpful. So keep after it and good luck to all.

Good to know that the math wasn't too terrible. Using Barron's and Peterson's I'm consistently getting 1-2 questions incorrect on all the other sections, but getting anywhere from 3-5 wrong in math (I think having higher level math and not having done arithmetic for a long time I tend to overengineer the problems). Math is definitely my weak point due to the overthinking. I think if I just sit back and look for what the question wants from me it will get much simpler, though I need to brush up on my mental multiplication and division.

MiracleWhip

I'm familiar with that thread....if you look more closely, you'll see I posted in that thread.

I'll echo what was said more than a YEAR ago by me...The NEW versions of the tests are not out yet. Focus on what you can control...your knowledge of the current test. You seem to be freaking out about nothing. Have you taken the current test yet? If not, why not?

BTW, when most of us old dudes took the AQT/FAR, the ASTB predecessor, there wasn't gouge out there. You just walked in and took the test cold. You either passed it, or needed to retake it. I failed my first test for not meeting the min score on BI...took the test again a few months later and passed. Again no gouge.
Thanks sir.