• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Navy Ship

Bernoullis principle ....

Hey guys. Do you mind explaining the physics behind a stall? I understand that stalls are caused by a separation of airflow from the upper wing. But why does this actually cause the aircraft to lose lift?

If that is the case, then is it theoretically possible for an aircraft to be "stalled" (airflow separated from the upper side) but still producing lift through Newton's 3rd law (deflecting air downward).

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey guys. Do you mind explaining the physics behind a stall? I understand that stalls are caused by a separation of airflow from the upper wing. But why does this actually cause the aircraft to lose lift?

If that is the case, then is it theoretically possible for an aircraft to be "stalled" (airflow separated from the upper side) but still producing lift through Newton's 3rd law (deflecting air downward).

The bottom of the wing does not provide lift, but is the other variable in lift.

zarevich

I haven't taken the ASTB yet, but I'm scheduled to take it on the 16th of this month. Just waiting to hear back from my OR to see if it's 30 days or 90 days to retake the test.
30 days for the second try and 90 days for the third time.

exNavyOffRec

This is for 2010, but i am pretty sure it is still the same each year.
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/Pages/ASTBOverview.aspx

Good info, I guess we just had some really good candidates, one of the last boards before I left we started putting all the submissions on an excel spreadsheet to track them, we had a new OR that had to aviation candidates with scores in the 70's and 9's across the board, we did have a lot of applicants that time and at least 10 were over 60, I don't think a single person that was submitted had a score under 50.

It is important to note that the table is of all taken, and it was during that time that NRC essentially shutdown boards, from what I saw aviation candidates would typically score higher than most, so if we weren't taking any then there would be many we weren't testing, that could skew the data.

Surf

pilot
Hey guys, quick question for anyone that took the ASTB on a computer. How long did it take for your results to get out?

Thanks!

MiracleWhip

For anyone that has taken then ASTB, how was the mechanical? I seem to have varying points of view on it. Some say it is purely common sense, some say remember formulas, some gouges are common sense, some gouges are full of extensive calculations. Any tips?

zarevich

For anyone that has taken then ASTB, how was the mechanical? I seem to have varying points of view on it. Some say it is purely common sense, some say remember formulas, some gouges are common sense, some gouges are full of extensive calculations. Any tips?
i just took the ASTB last week and i thought the mechanical section was pure common sense, but also that might be because i am an engineer.