• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 06NOV/04DEC IWC PROBOARD

I believe we put in a travel claim when we arrive. Hopefully a prior who attended OCS can give us more insight. I’m sure we will get more information soon.
They will either provide a plane ticket or reimburse you for travel, but I believe there is a set minimum distance for them to buy you a plane ticket/reimburse you for air travel. I don't know the exact radius, but if you're coming from somewhere west or south of New York you should be good to fly.

Most people in my class who flew had their tickets provided for them by the Navy. My ticket was extremely delayed though, and when I didn't get it by the 36-hour mark I went ahead and bought my own. My ticket from the Navy eventually came a little less than 24 hours before my flight time, but I didn't use that ticket because the times sucked, I had limited notice, and I already had my own ticket. They still wound up reimbursing me for the one I purchased on my own despite them providing me one.

When I was there I believe we waited until the end to put in our travel claims for reimbursement, but that might be different now that they have P-week in the beginning.

Also hold onto your receipt from your taxi from the airport to Newport as it's VERY pricey. I just looked up my old receipt for it and I paid $132.86 for a one way trip.

I have the same NLT date. However, I believe no classmates can travel together. That’s what I heard from pervious class at least.

This was a COVID era rule that I think just never changed for whatever reason. Regardless they didn't care and people in our class carpooled up and those who arrived early went out to eat and hung out together the night before OCS.

Last edited:

jakegouge

Those selected for CW, do y'all know the duty stations (other than the big 4) that we are likely to be assigned to (or is it literally any/all navy installations)? Also, other than the needs of the Navy how is the initial duty station determined?

spartan22

I'm not knowledgeable on all the locations besides NIOC Hawaii, NIOC Texas, NIOC Georgia, Fort Meade, and I think there's a NIOC in Colorado. I have heard from multiple Ensigns that because there are so few CW Officers, we should get our first choice of a duty station. The ENS who swore me in told me that all the CWs in his class (very recently graduated class) got to pick their duty station/got their first choice.

CWO_change

As a new accession CW, don't expect to be sent anywhere but NIOC Pacific (NIOC HI just got a new name), NIOC Texas, NIOC Georgia, or one of the Cryptologic Warfare Six subordinate commands at Fort Meade. There are other NIOCs, NIODs, NSA sites, fleet commands, education billets, and other diverse duty stations that you can be sent to, but that'll come after your initial tour and once you're qualified as a general matter.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
I have the same NLT date. However, I believe no classmates can travel together. That’s what I heard from pervious class at least.
Maybe something official has been put in place, but I traveled with a classmate from South Carolina and he didnt get anything on the travel claim and I paid for all the gas (it was my car and we discussed before the trip since we were both priors)