• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

soccerman816

Why the change?

It aligned more with my career goals. I like being more "a mile wide/inch deep" if you would. After interviewing a Commander and Captain in aviation, I was very much influenced to go SNFO based on their tracks and how they interpreted their 24+ year careers. I don't want to fly for the air lines.

BDavis11

Contributor
It aligned more with my career goals. I like being more "a mile wide/inch deep" if you would. After interviewing a Commander and Captain in aviation, I was very much influenced to go SNFO based on their tracks and how they interpreted their 24+ year careers. I don't want to fly for the air lines.
Makes sense.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Can anyone ballpark an "average" wait time for results to come back after the board meets?
I'd say 3-5 weeks. I dug into the forums and went through the pages of each board post to find this information which can be verified... Fun fact the Oct 28 2019 board was on page 131 when they received results lol.

The Oct 28 2019 board got results ~ Nov 21... three and 1/2 weeks
The Jan 25 2020 board got results ~Feb 11-12... two and 1/2 weeks
The May 25 2020 board got results ~June 15-16... three weeks
The Aug 03 2020 board was ~Sep 15... six weeks

2-11 weeks. There is no standard, estimate, time requirement, etc. Its strictly up to big Navy.

There is an average, that can be quantified. The only reason I think your August results were longer than normal is from Covid. The reason recruiters say 3-5 weeks is because that's typically how long it takes, that can be verified with previous board data that is readily available on this website.

Coriolanus

Pro-Rec SNA

There is an average, that can be quantified. The only reason I think your August results were longer than normal is from Covid. The reason recruiters say 3-5 weeks is because that's typically how long it takes, that can be verified with previous board data that is readily available on this website.
I think thanksgiving week is a good “milestone” to expect the results by. All we can do I wait and prepare! Thankfully I have things to keep me occupied until then. Although getting a flight simulator is looking more and more fun the more I think about it lol.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I think thanksgiving week is a good “milestone” to expect the results by. All we can do I wait and prepare! Thankfully I have things to keep me occupied until then. Although getting a flight simulator is looking more and more fun the more I think about it lol.

I think you're onto something. If I were a betting man, I'd say they moved the board up a week specifically for the holidays and wanting to get the administrative work of pushing results out before Thanksgiving hits.

The new Flight Simulator from Windows looked pretty incredible. If I didn't have so many flight sims already I'd jump all over it. They don't have helicopters in the new sim currently so that's a bummer for me.

I would recommend using text material with a simulator, Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK) etc. That will give you some great information and criteria to follow instead of flying around aimlessly, you can set specific goals and try to achieve them. I.E. 70 Knots @ 1000ft AGL on downwind, 65 Knots and 500ft AGL turning Base to Final, maintaining heading or ground track +/- 2 degrees on the magnetic heading, maintaining descent and ascent rates. Flight simulators are more worth your time when you're giving yourself a window/criteria to operate in, and more fun that way in my opinion.

Depending on which sim you buy, they also allow you to purchase the military training aircraft like the T-6. I've purchased specific flight simulators depending on what aircraft I can buy that correlates to joining the Navy or AF, etc. That would be a huge advantage knowing the cockpit setup and where everything is before arriving to flight training.

kdriscoll714

Aviation Candidate
I'd say 3-5 weeks. I dug into the forums and went through the pages of each board post to find this information which can be verified... Fun fact the Oct 28 2019 board was on page 131 when they received results lol.

I appreciate you laying this out!

kdriscoll714

Aviation Candidate
I think you're onto something. If I were a betting man, I'd say they moved the board up a week specifically for the holidays and wanting to get the administrative work of pushing results out before Thanksgiving hits.

The new Flight Simulator from Windows looked pretty incredible. If I didn't have so many flight sims already I'd jump all over it. They don't have helicopters in the new sim currently so that's a bummer for me.

I would recommend using text material with a simulator, Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK) etc. That will give you some great information and criteria to follow instead of flying around aimlessly, you can set specific goals and try to achieve them. I.E. 70 Knots @ 1000ft AGL on downwind, 65 Knots and 500ft AGL turning Base to Final, maintaining heading or ground track +/- 2 degrees on the magnetic heading, maintaining descent and ascent rates. Flight simulators are more worth your time when you're giving yourself a window/criteria to operate in, and more fun that way in my opinion.

Depending on which sim you buy, they also allow you to purchase the military training aircraft like the T-6. I've purchased specific flight simulators depending on what aircraft I can buy that correlates to joining the Navy or AF, etc. That would be a huge advantage knowing the cockpit setup and where everything is before arriving to flight training.
This is the first I've heard about prepping with simulators. Do I need to get on this train asap? In other words will I be behind the 8ball if I show up to OCS without having dabbled with something like this?

Coriolanus

Pro-Rec SNA
This is the first I've heard about prepping with simulators. Do I need to get on this train asap? In other words will I be behind the 8ball if I show up to OCS without having dabbled with something like this?
Oh I don’t think it’s required or even recommend. I personally would get one just for fun and to build up motivation. If anything I would think people would want to use a flight sim too much in case bad habits are formed.
When I went through Air Force Basic training the instructor for weapons said the people who never shot before typically scored the best. Why? Because their only exposure is how the military teaches you to shoot, not the habits formed before hand. But that’s my two cents.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
That's what I do personally because I feel unprepared if I haven't learned everything I can before something occurs. In this case it's mainly for awareness and knowledge of layouts.

I don't think you'd be behind from not having a flight sim experience. Once you arrive to pilot training all of the criteria you would have been practicing in a digital Cessna, or T-6 may be different anyway. If I were to recommend one thing it would be to delve into aeronautical knowledge textbooks or even YouTube, that fundamental knowledge rarely changes and would provide a larger advantage than a simulator. Simulators can't replicate what it's actually like to fly, that's why I say focus on criteria in the simulator like approach speeds, maintaining altitudes, ascents, constant rate turns, etc., that is easily replicated in a sim. The feeling of flying will be completely new to you even if you flew the T-6 in a simulator compared to flying in real life, but at least you'll be familiar with the cockpit layout, airspeeds etc.

Like @Closet_plane mentioned, it's usually best when you're trained from the ground up without prior bad habits. Having a familiarity with something sure wouldn't hurt and I think a sim provides good opportunity for that.