• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

donkeh

The depth perception test we do now is a joke.

They use to do the test with actual physical objects in the shape of little cylinders with a white circle on top, and asked which one stuck out. Now we're doing depth perception with Red-Cyan paper glasses and trying to figure out which 2-D circle is sticking out on a flat piece of paper... Seriously?! I had to stare at some of them for a good five seconds to see the difference on the last three.
Don't forget the fact the glasses they make you wear are almost never cleaned and in my case were filthy with the sweat and grease of prior applicants. It was comical and after having an optometrist explain the exam to me and letting me take my time, I was able to identify each dot without a problem. I wonder how many people get disqualified and don't even bother to try again or seek a second opinion.

They changed the policy of going to board without medical years ago, not this year.\

NAMI used to take depth perception retest from just about any eye doc, then they pretty much took it from no one, now it seems they look case by case, the problem was that people would doctor shop to get cleared then end up being DQ for depth perception later on, I think nearly everyone if not everyone from my NRD who I knew that had to redo depth perception ended up failing depth perception later on.

The optometrist reiterated to me that just because I was able to pass the exam with him, doesn't mean I won't get retested and potentially DQ'ed further down the line if it actually is a problem during the flight physical. My OR told me similar information and that if I was applying a handful of years ago I would have probably been screwed and not allowed a second opinion. I don't doubt that if I went to some random optometrist that wasn't an AF eye care physician, they probably wouldn't have accepted my retest.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Don't forget the fact the glasses they make you wear are almost never cleaned and in my case were filthy with the sweat and grease of prior applicants. It was comical and after having an optometrist explain the exam to me and letting me take my time, I was able to identify each dot without a problem. I wonder how many people get disqualified and don't even bother to try again or seek a second opinion.
I knew several friends in the USAF when I was in that had some form of color blindness and that's an immediate DQ. My prior fixed-wing CFI was thinking about flying in the reserves and he was turned down for vision related stuff and never went back to another doctor or back to MEPS to try again. I believe it was color blindness though, so that's a definite no-go though. It's weird that someone can get a 1st Class Medical even with color blindness and fly for the airlines no problem, but for the military it's an issue. I think it's one of those things that is a disqualifier for the sake of a disqualifier, thin out the field a little.

So the optometrist said to take your time, what did he explain to you that made it easier? Did you figure out a technique for the test or was it just staring at the dots for a bit to find the odd-ball? How long would you say you focused on each group before finding the dot? I don't think I figured out a technique, I did get them all eventually but the last three were quite difficult and took longer than I wanted. I expected it to be a breeze like the first depth perception test I flew through in 2014, but it definitely wasn't.

donkeh

I knew several friends in the USAF when I was in that had some form of color blindness and that's an immediate DQ. My prior fixed-wing CFI was thinking about flying in the reserves and he was turned down for vision related stuff and never went back to another doctor or back to MEPS to try again. I believe it was color blindness though, so that's a definite no-go though. It's weird that someone can get a 1st Class Medical even with color blindness and fly for the airlines no problem, but for the military it's an issue. I think it's one of those things that is a disqualifier for the sake of a disqualifier, thin out the field a little.

So the optometrist said to take your time, what did he explain to you that made it easier? Did you figure out a technique for the test or was it just staring at the dots for a bit to find the odd-ball? How long would you say you focused on each group before finding the dot? I don't think I figured out a technique, I did get them all eventually but the last three were quite difficult and took longer than I wanted. I expected it to be a breeze like the first depth perception test I flew through in 2014, but it definitely wasn't.
It's going to sound ridiculous but the best advive he gave me was to let my brain tell me which one was different. Essentially, in the case of the 5 dots test, just stare at the middle 3 until your brains and eyes process all the dots and come up with the answer. I probably spent 60-90 seconds just staring at the last dots but it eventually came to me and I got them all right. It feels freaky but it worked like a charm for me. I wish I could tell you a different technique he taught me but that was literally it. Just stare at it until it comes to you and your brain recognizes which one it is. The other depth perception tests he put me through were a lot easier however and according to him a lot better quality than the 5 dot test they administer at MEPS.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
It's going to sound ridiculous but the best advive he gave me was to let my brain tell me which one was different. Essentially, in the case of the 5 dots test, just stare at the middle 3 until your brains and eyes process all the dots and come up with the answer. I probably spent 60-90 seconds just staring at the last dots but it eventually came to me and I got them all right. It feels freaky but it worked like a charm for me. I wish I could tell you a different technique he taught me but that was literally it. Just stare at it until it comes to you and your brain recognizes which one it is. The other depth perception tests he put me through were a lot easier however and according to him a lot better quality than the 5 dot test they administer at MEPS.
That doesn't sound crazy at all, thanks for sharing! Hopefully it helps other people when they come across that information as well.

I think that's what I missed to make it easier. I felt bad standing there for more than 5 seconds on each set whenever there were 40 other people waiting to do their vision tests. I guess ultimately for something as serious as that, it's up to each individual to make sure they do it right rather than worrying about wasting someone's time. Looking out for yourself, because no one else will.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Speaking of gifts, anyone getting themselves something special if you get a ProRec-Y? Sounds like OCS requires a black digital watch which I don't have, might pick up a nice G-Shock to take with me if I get in.

Triumph_MAC

Speaking of gifts, anyone getting themselves something special if you get a ProRec-Y? Sounds like OCS requires a black digital watch which I don't have, might pick up a nice G-Shock to take with me if I get in.
Amazon had a great deal on the Garmin Fenix 5. I have one and they are a game changer. Pricey but very functional, especially if you like being outside. Its came in handy a few times here on hikes in Hawaii.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Amazon had a great deal on the Garmin Fenix 5. I have one and they are a game changer. Pricey but very functional, especially if you like being outside. Its came in handy a few times here on hikes in Hawaii.
Nice!

Kuli'ou'ou ridge trail was my favorite.

I'm a fan of solar powered, definitely a nice feature. Haven't had a smart watch yet, maybe someday lol.

Triumph_MAC

@NobleJ posted this on the AMDO thread. It's pretty insightful for AD folks.

donkeh

That doesn't sound crazy at all, thanks for sharing! Hopefully it helps other people when they come across that information as well.

I think that's what I missed to make it easier. I felt bad standing there for more than 5 seconds on each set whenever there were 40 other people waiting to do their vision tests. I guess ultimately for something as serious as that, it's up to each individual to make sure they do it right rather than worrying about wasting someone's time. Looking out for yourself, because no one else will.
Yea that's the part that really got me at MEPS. I felt bad asking for extra time or anything while doing the exam and when I got to maybe the 4th dot and it didn't immediately jump out at me, I began to freak out a little bit. After maybe 20 seconds of standing there in silence I just gave up and told the nurse I couldn't tell the difference anymore. The seconds those words came out of my mouth I immediately knew I F'ed up and would regret giving up that easily. Low and behold I got the news I failed depth perception and was qualified from 1390 because of it.

But yea the lesson I learned was not to worry about anyone else when going through the process. Focus on your own s**t and get out of there. Take your time and do everything you can to make sure you qualify, since the extra 5 minutes that you hold up the line won't matter in the end, but getting DQ'ed for something as dumb as rushing your depth perception test will matter and only cause you headaches down the road.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I've seen some interesting comments about watches, and some on the expensive range from Omega and Breitling, even Rolex. I feel like if I'm making a nice paycheck as an officer with a guaranteed paycheck for ten years, it's still hard for me to fathom dropping $4,500+ on a watch. Maybe down the road if I make Captain, that would be a nice gift to myself that I can pass down through the generations, but to drop that cash as an Ensign or LTJG is wild to me. Lot's of things my wife and I could enjoy for that money. Maybe it's easier as a single and not worried about a family? lol

Ty.Hinds57

For those with dependents, have you heard anything about the transition from IFS/API to Primary? I feel like I've read somewhere that we are more likely to receive follow on orders to Whiting Field for primary.

Side note, I miss the hikes on Oahu so much. I was stationed there for 3 years and that part never got old.

BDavis11

Contributor
@NobleJ posted this on the AMDO thread. It's pretty insightful for AD folks.
Looks like AD odds are high. Hopefully that trend works in our favor