• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

02AUG2021 Pilot/NFO Board

Just checked out that spreadsheet someone shared of the results and I won't lie, I'm super disappointed and surprised I wasn't selected. I scored a 56 and 8/8/9 on the ASTB. Good enough GPA (3.2 I believe) and decent professional experience and LORs. The one thing I did have was a waiver for a MIP when I was 19 and a DUI (completely dismissed DUI, never charged, completely dropped). Does anyone have any insight into if that waiver was enough for a board to say "Not good enough"? Recruiter hasn't been on the ball with communication so trying to get advice here instead.

WannaFlyHigh

There is paperwork that needs to be filled out in a timely manner to accept, I think he is talking about the swear in and FINSEL.

So once that paperwork is filled out, I am essentially agreeing to attend OCS? Not swearing is the equivalent of backing out of my word?

exNavyOffRec

Just checked out that spreadsheet someone shared of the results and I won't lie, I'm super disappointed and surprised I wasn't selected. I scored a 56 and 8/8/9 on the ASTB. Good enough GPA (3.2 I believe) and decent professional experience and LORs. The one thing I did have was a waiver for a MIP when I was 19 and a DUI (completely dismissed DUI, never charged, completely dropped). Does anyone have any insight into if that waiver was enough for a board to say "Not good enough"? Recruiter hasn't been on the ball with communication so trying to get advice here instead.
In the past aviation was more forgiving with DUI's or other alcohol incidents, the fact you were arrested for DUI is an issue, both the DUI and MIP probably hurt you.

Deegy15

Aviation Structural Mechanic - Safety Equipment
what site did this come from? I went through the MPTE N31 site pretty thoroughly and couldn't find the source. I ask because my command is asking how I got this info before my CoC did, and I just told them "I know a guy" lol

I got a Prorec-Y but I have not mentioned it to my COC. If you look into MynavyHR, there should be a "what happens next" link under commissioning program. Our command should receive with our official "Selection Letter." I am just waiting on that.

Page 10-11 on that pdf results, mentioned about what factors were taken into consideration for selecting applicants. My ASTB scores were not that competitive. However, as my whole package goes, I did my best to give them an overall competitive package (LORs, awards, leadership/volunteer, no NJP, GPA, evals.)

In the past aviation was more forgiving with DUI's or other alcohol incidents, the fact you were arrested for DUI is an issue, both the DUI and MIP probably hurt you.
Dang. I mean I get it to some degree but being 25 and having a dismissed MIP from a diversion program and an ENTIRELY dismissed DUI (never charged or pursued at all) when I was 19 seems like a real bummer. Recruiter told me my scores were pretty much auto qualifying scores too and the rest of my package was perfectly reasonable. Super frustrating. Guess I'll give it another try at some point but I mean I got a waiver this time around and the higher officer that interviewed me in order to get the waiver said I should be A-OK. Thanks for the feedback though!

exNavyOffRec

Dang. I mean I get it to some degree but being 25 and having a dismissed MIP from a diversion program and an ENTIRELY dismissed DUI (never charged or pursued at all) when I was 19 seems like a real bummer. Recruiter told me my scores were pretty much auto qualifying scores too and the rest of my package was perfectly reasonable. Super frustrating. Guess I'll give it another try at some point but I mean I got a waiver this time around and the higher officer that interviewed me in order to get the waiver said I should be A-OK. Thanks for the feedback though!
I would have thought you would be ok as well, maybe the senior member has a hard spot for alcohol incidents.

also diversion is the same as conviction in the eyes of the government.

WorldWar33.3

When I took the ASTB I was several years removed from any math or physics classes and Khan Academy helped me tremendously. As well as https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...st-your-scores-ask-your-questions-here.28348/ I read tons on this thread and it really helped prepare me for the topics and people uploaded their study guides and stuff. Then I would search out similar topics on Khan Academy. I got a pretty good score by doing this but I didn’t have a job at the time and did this fulltime for like 3 weeks.
Which topics did you use on Khan Academy?

njrecc

Which topics did you use on Khan Academy?
I was so far removed from any formal math or science classes in school and I'm naturally not great at math so I literally started at the Algebra 1 Khan Academy course and went from there. But I read a ton on the thread that I linked and kind of got to know what topics I could expect and searched out those topics on Khan Academy and YouTube, for example differential equations or something like that. I really focused on the basics. Also, what helped me so much was reading on here and having an idea of what the compass test entailed and how to draw out the piece of paper or whatever. I took the test 2 years ago so I don't remember enough to get too detailed.

WorldWar33.3

I was so far removed from any formal math or science classes in school and I'm naturally not great at math so I literally started at the Algebra 1 Khan Academy course and went from there. But I read a ton on the thread that I linked and kind of got to know what topics I could expect and searched out those topics on Khan Academy and YouTube, for example differential equations or something like that. I really focused on the basics. Also, what helped me so much was reading on here and having an idea of what the compass test entailed and how to draw out the piece of paper or whatever. I took the test 2 years ago so I don't remember enough to get too detailed.
That helps me tremendously man! Thank you

njrecc

That helps me tremendously man! Thank you
Anything I can do to help. I wouldn't be where I am if it weren't for people on Airwarriors helping to guide me. I will say I bought an ASTB study guide book on Amazon and I don't remember feeling like it helped a lot except for maybe reading comprehension. People make and post their own study guides on here and I found that way more valuable. Anything I couldn't work through and answer I would seek out on Khan Academy and YouTube. It's pretty boring but if you can remember why you're studying so hard it's at least a little more tolerable.

BDavis11

Contributor
Anything I can do to help. I wouldn't be where I am if it weren't for people on Airwarriors helping to guide me. I will say I bought an ASTB study guide book on Amazon and I don't remember feeling like it helped a lot except for maybe reading comprehension. People make and post their own study guides on here and I found that way more valuable. Anything I couldn't work through and answer I would seek out on Khan Academy and YouTube. It's pretty boring but if you can remember why you're studying so hard it's at least a little more tolerable.
Amazon book sucked. I used that the first time