• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vicki's path to flight school (a female perspective)

Tahoe

Vicki,

Is it true they fit you for your running shoes when you get down there, or should you bring your own...my recruter didn't have an answer on that one...

-Dave

Tahoe

I'll tell my recruter to get it together, Matt maybe you should call him and get him on the ball!!

Dave Shutter

quote:...fail the Aero midterm 3x...

I'm no academic heavyweight, but man! What is the percentage/# needed to fail anyway? Is it only a few questions on say a 50 question test or is it something closer to half?

D

vicki

You run at OCS everyday except Thursdays and Sundays in the beginning. As you get further along in your training you'll have other obligations like parade practice, inspections etc. and will wind up running an average of three times a week. Mondays are usually an ability run 2-3 miles long, although sometimes we've done indian runs on Mondays which really sucks. Tuesdays vary - usually a shorter run 2-3 miles, or table exercises. Wednesdays you run your 1.5 mile PRT run. Fridays are a battalion run 3 or so miles long. Saturdays are the "hangover runs". They are long (4-5 miles), often with a mile or so of it on beach sand, and fairly fast. I think the primary purpose of Saturday runs is to make you pay if you partied too much the night before. For me the distances were easy - it was the pace at which the battalion runs were run that killed me. They were faster than the required out PRT time for females, but I think that most males that can do a "good" PRT have no trouble with the pace. I hope this helps.

vicki

Dave - You need an 80 to pass API academics so you can do the math on the number of questions. The point really is that API academics are easy if you study. API is more than anything else to see if you go to the beach and Seville every night or if you go back to the Q and study. Nobody with a college degree (or a high school diploma) should fail out of API if they study. People seem to attrite at a fairly alarming rate, but it seems like they either are blowing it off or else they are having family / personal issues that are impinging on their ability to study.

fn

Question for vicki

I originated the post about redesignation from SNFO to SNA below. From what I've read from you and others it seems that they might start the program(API top 10%) about the time I graduate from OCS(mid November). Have you heard any new news about this topic? I am going to turn down my AF pilot slot tomorrow(I can't believe I'm going to do this) and pin my hopes upon the reinstatement of the API program. Any last minute gouge(if there is any) would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks, fn.

PS- I assume that the redesignation is based completely upon API performance and things such as age are not factors(I am 28, the reason I got NFO in the first place).

vicki

Yes, my understanding of the program is that the top 10% of API grads are offered the chance to redesignate to pilot if they're physically qualified. CAPT Weideman did indicate that the program would likely resume. "Likely" is a pretty scary thing to pin one's entire future on. If your goal is to be a Naval officer (not a shabby goal - I'm more proud of becoming commissioned than anything else I've ever done) and you would be happy if for some reason you got hosed and had to keep your NFO designator, then by all means turn the AF down. If your identity is all tied up in becoming a pilot and nothing else'll do - I'd think long and hard and then think long and hard again before I gave up a UPT slot. They're probably tougher to get than SNA slots. If your reasons for wanting to fly Navy revolve around a specific platform or wanting to go to sea, challenge of landing on the Boat etc. there are joint ventures where AF guys fly with Navy squadrons and vice versa.
I'm living proof that if you want it really badly and are willing to work hard for it, almost anything is possible in terms of opportunities in the Navy. I have several waivers, have had eye surgery, needed fitchecks to fit in planes and had to get redesignated from SNFO to SNA, but now I'm finally starting in the pipeline. However, a bird in the hand etc. etc. I've also seen a lot of guys get totally screwed over for stupid reasons. It can go either way.
I know this is probably a really tough decision. Good luck with which ever way you decide to go - hope to see you flying!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FN,

All I have to say is...."Aim High, Fly Air Force"

If there is one piece of advice I can offer you, it is not to depend on a "likely" scenario from the Navy. If you do, it will "likely" not turn out the way you hope.

--Steve

Mahler

I wanted to know if you do pull-ups at all at OCS. We completely forgot to ask the DI about it while we were at ACES. I've started workin on them just in case, and I have to say, I'm suckin' pretty hard on them.

James

vicki

We did pull-ups twice at OCS. They were not required by the "OCS curriculum". Some Class Drill Instructors have their classes do them, others don't. It's not a "graded" item, meaning you don't have to do a certain number to get out, but your Class Drill Instructor will ride you hard if you suck (just like they do if you suck at anything). It's good to build your upper body strength so keep working on it, but I wouldn't worry too much if they aren't your strong point.

Steven Ruiz

Hey Vicky,

Nice to have you back.

How was ocs? Not what you expected? Can you tell me a lil on that please?

Thanks,

Steven

vicki

Thanks, I'm glad to be back. I've gained new appreciation for things like being able to sit down to study! OCS was what I expected, but expecting something and being prepared for something are two totally different things. Of course, I'm not sure you can ever be truly prepared for something like OCS. Anyway, was a great experience as long as it is past tense! LOL. I shot you off an e-mail too. Take care.

opie

I'd like to say that OCS isn't that bad. I've read the posts by other candidates, and agree that the training is hard, but it's not impossible.

Yes the days are long, and the drill instructors reserve the right to "mash" you at any point in the day. But OCS is a mind game. You're body is capable of enduring, they're testing to see if your mind is. When you get back to your spaces at night, laugh about what happened that day. You're roommates will become your best friends.

Vicki and I had the unique privilidge of being the first class for a new DI, and he hit us pretty hard, but we both made it. The best thing to do is to keep your head up and push on. Also, don't smile in chow, that's just asking for a beating.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:don't smile in chow, that's just asking for a beating.

Glad I didn't have to go through OCS, I smiled in Basic and got cycled, smiled at Dive school and had to run/swim extra, and just recently made the mistake of smiling during an "interrogation" at SERE (big mistake) and got the sh!t beat out of me. Just my personality, I can find the humor in just about any situation, even when an IP is busting my chops during flight school on a hop, just keep on pressing.