• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vicki's path to flight school (a female perspective)

spidrwmn

random OCS questions. . .

Just a bunch of random stuff I have always wondered about OCS:
- Do they provide eye glasses or can you bring your own?
- Do women have to cut their hair ( and if not, do most cut it anyway)?
- How are roomies chosen? Are they random? Or by designator?
- Are the showers open or do they have stalls?
- How many people per room?
Like I said, just a bunch of random questions.
BTW: Any good OCS stories anyone wants to share?

- spider

vicki

Spdrwmn -

Here's a bunch of random OCS answers:

If you don't bring your glasses, they will provide you with some. That being said, bring your own - OCS glasses are so ugly they are known as BCP (birth control pill) glasses.

Women have to have their hair cut. This sucks, my hair is still not normal months later. Navy OCS is the only OCS that makes it's women cut their hair. Not even Marine Corps OCS does that. If I sound bitter - it's because I am. I miss my hair.

Roommates are random, but if you're female you have a pretty good idea who your roomates'll be once you move out of the squad bay. People are four to a room and most classes don't have more than four females, so those are your roommates.

Showers are open, but there are so few women that you have plenty of room. Not so for the males. They spend most of OCS B to A (bellybutton to a$$****).

As for good OCS stories, history tends to repeat itself and I'd hate to ruin your OCS stories by telling you mine.

vicki

I guess I better check this out. I was Indoc Subcommander and indoc'd OC Nelson - better make sure I'm not portrayed as the Wicked Witch of the West! LOL

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Vicki

What is a normal day at OCS ie (wake up, pt, eating and going to sleep times)?

And what was your longest run at OCS?

Dave

spidrwmn

Patbate,

How far along are you on your application?

Vicki,

Thanks for all the info!! When do you start API? Also, how short is short ( haircut wise)?

- spider

Edited by - spidrwmn on 08/26/2001 15:32:51

candiman

Fn,
Thats bad gouge from vicki. I only know of 1 person who was successful in changing to sna. I was around right after it happened and we talked he was only the 3rd one this year to swap. With the lack of nfo's in the fleet its gonna be awhile before it gets changed. It is all dependent upon you not your class.

mike

vicki

Internet at Whiting Field

Howdy to all the regulars and the new names too. Happy New Year. I finally have my very own internet access again!!!

You probably thought I died, but really I was just having a great time in API (took me 31 tower jumps to complete the underwater swim). I finished there Nov. 30, had a little down time and am now at Whiting for Primary - CPT 5 tomorrow.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
31 jumps huh? Did you set a new record or something?

That is great that you are in CPTs, sound like you are just about to hop in for beginning stage FAMs (or whatever they call the first flights in MPTS)!! Best of luck, and have a blast!

vicki

Good to hear from you John. I hope deployment (if you can call it that in the P-3 community) is treating you well. I almost set a new tower jump record. I was number two. Another forum member "Bassethound" had pushing 50 jumps. Anyway, I am CPT complete (my instructor today was an EP-3 guy), have metro next week, then start my first block of Fams. So far, I'm having the time of my life - can't wait to be a Turbo-Weenie driver!!! LOL.

brian-75

Good to hear from you vicki,

Even though you do not know me I read with interest during the summer your posts about OCS and so on. Quick question, what was the tower jump and the underwater swim?

Brian-75

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Hey Vicky,
its great to hear from you. Glad that you finaly have your internet back. I classed up into API today. So now the fun begins!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:Good to hear from you John. I hope deployment (if you can call it that in the P-3 community) is treating you well.

Yeah yeah yeah... just face it, you all are just jealous of my per diem, and mighty aircraft (cough)! So far deployment is running me ragged, had my first day off yesterday, the tempo because of recent events is defenitely in excess of what is normally done. My flight hours are definitely going through the roof. Best of luck in FAMs, and have FUN!

spidrwmn

More random OCS questions. . .

- I am a vegetarian and take a multi-vitamin to make sure I am not missing out on any nutrients - are you allowed to take vitamins at OCS?
- On the subject of being a vegetarian, do you have a choice of what you eat (ie: cereal instead of eggs in the morning)?

For all you females out there:

- do you. at least on occassion, get a chance to take a longer shower and shave or do you end up going hairy?

- spider