• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vicki's path to flight school (a female perspective)

Walker

Yeah but steve if you sleep in your rack you at least get a sheet between you and the wool, don't you?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Walker, Walker, Walker...what am I going to do with you? The whole idea of sleeping on top of your covers is so you don't mess up your rack. When you get up in the early, early morning, all you have to do is stretch your covers snug on your rack and then to quickly fold your blanket. Hell, if you want to tear your rack apart and ACTUALLY sleep under your covers, that is entirely your perogative. Hopefully, you'll learn quick the efficient method of sleeping. Good luck.

--Steve

Jeff29

Science Project
The NEX usually has some fairly good cotton blankets that worked real well for me. If you get cold, you could probably also just wear the sweats you will be issued and forget the blanket all together. I was there during the late fall and it actually got down in the 30's a few times so I used both the sweats and the blanket. The only time anyone ever sleeps under the covers is the night before you exchange your sheets for a clean set (usually once a week).

Good Luck All,

-Jeff

Walker

Steve ,
I understand the purpose of bringing the blanket with me. ok , this what i'm going to do, bring the blanket sleep and sleep on top of my already made bed. So steve you think if I can figure this out does thaT mean I 'm officer material?

Kraftwerk

Why don't all of you just come as you are with nothing but a toothbrush and ingeniously use those limited resources with McGyverish results?
It's more challenging that way...:-D
Yer NOT GONNA NEED A BLANKET in this heat, A/C doesn't work down there anyway.

Edited by - Kraftwerk on 05/23/2001 16:17:33

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
I was just going to ask...if I am going to be there in June July and August am I really going to want a blanket???

Edited by - falcaner on 05/23/2001 16:45:53

vicki

OCS IS a nightmare

The funny thing about OCS is that it is shrouded in mystery. That is why it is so effective. Nobody tells anyone exactly what goes on there. The fear of the unknown is a very real fear that makes things that otherwise wouldn't seem so bad to seem much worse.
You will live through Poopie Week and what follows (although at times you might not think you will). Worrying about what's going to happen the next day or at the next chow is usually worse than the reality.
Don't get me wrong. I thought I was prepared for OCS, but nothing can prepare you for OCS. OCS is a place of pain and misery punctuated by moments of humor and friendship. The good news is that with every week that goes by the comeraderie, teamwork and sense of accomplishment increases and the fear and hopelessness lessen.
Drop me an e-mail if you have any questions I can answer, otherwise I'll see y'all down here. Remember - everybody has gone through it, nobody has ever died at OCS and the light at the end of the tunnel is the sun glinting off your butter bars (and Wings of Gold).

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
quote:
Remember - everybody has gone through it, nobody has ever died at OCS

Well, that's not an entirely true statement.
Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Tahoe

Vicki,

Where are you...we need an update as to how you are and what's going on in your training and life in OCS!!!

Hope things are going well and DO write soon.

-Dave

vicki

Hi All,

Sorry I haven't written in a while. Things have been a little crazy to say the least. In half an hour I will be putting on my CNTs and be a Candy-O!!! It's hard to believe I'm almost there. Graduation is in two weeks.

We had a little last bit of fun yesterday.
My Class Drill Instructor came upstairs and caught two of my classmates eating in their spaces. They had a grocery store (including cocktail weiners)in their locker and our DI went nuts. There were crackers, Cheez Wiz, peanuts, Mountain Dew, edge dressing, Brasso and laundry detergent all over the room by the time he got done. The walls, floor, desks, beds, even the tops of the wall lockers and the ceiling were covered. Then we had to take our racks out into the hallway, make them perfectly and set up a shoe display. While we were doing that, the other drill instructors were spreading trash cans of sand in all of our rooms and hurricaning our lockers. Ah, the joys of Officer Candidate School. I am Indoc Subcommander, so I'll be busy tormenting some of the forum members that are Poopies right now. I'll write if I have time. Take care and good luck to everyone coming down here.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:I am Indoc Subcommander, so I'll be busy tormenting some of the forum members that are Poopies right now

Vicki, what's up with that? Leave the poor guys alone... :) Seriously though, glad to hear that you are almost done with OCS, congrats on the upcoming graduation.

candiman

you know ocs is not that bad
i know the class you are in and they kick but
just lighten up and relax before you explode the mystery that you speak of its not a mystery just a lack of info by your recruiter that went to the academy or rotc
if you want the real scoop just ask

mike

m1sandman

Vicki,
Care to tell the secrets of the first few weeks PT-wise? What is it like? Any way to train specifically for it? I just started training with an ex-Army guy who is driving me into the ground... the first two sessions were worse than anything I could have imagined.