• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vicki's path to flight school (a female perspective)

vicki

Brian,

The tower jump is a 12 foot tower over the deep end of the pool. You jump off it and then swim underwater for 15 yards without breaking the surface, touch a black line on the bottom of the pool, and you're done. I wasn't particularly fond of the free-fall feeling and also sucked at the underwater part. You complete this evolution in a flight suit and boots and I just didn't move forward too well, no matter how hard I was swimming. So, I had to learn to hold my breath long enough to swim the distance a lot slower than most people do it. Honestly, most people have no problem with this evolution. I'm sure it was at least somewhat a mental thing for me. I wouldn't worry about it if you are a halfways decent swimmer and don't mind jumping off high places.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
John,

What was that about aircraft envy?
Man the Ol Ball caoch threw us for a loop here in G'ville.

Go Gators, I Hope

Dave

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Yes this is very true but by the time you leave OCS you will be able to shower and get ready in 15 minutes flat...i garuntee it!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not really the aircraft envy. It's more about quality of life. Of course we all know that real sailors do real deployments on real ships (pilots or otherwise). Not these ones with room service and fancy hotel accomodations. . John, do they bring you mixed drinks with umbrellas in them?

--Steve

el_riddle

60 bubba
hey guys and gals,
for those who have been through aocs previously...what three things would you say lend to success? i am accostumed to being the best, and i hope to continue that in aocs, and would love some friendly advice.
thanks,
lwr

vicki

I don't know how good my gouge is, but I was told in October that they were trying to send Corpus to Kingsville and Whiting to Meridian. I was asking because I wanted Meridian if I got jets, but was originally slated to go to Corpus for Primary. I know a couple guys who selected recently who wanted Kingsville, but were sent to Meridian. I don't know if these guys just had bad luck or if there has truly been a policy change sending Whiting guys to Meridian.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
1st a side note... it's not AOCS... just OCS; even the future SWO Daddies go through it.

Loud, vicious, and intense are the three things that you will hear repeatedly. If you are always doing those three, you'll have nothing to worry about. Academics were pretty easy, but some people get caught up with the small amount of time to study and prepare for the next day. The most important thing is to have fun. I don't mean screwing around, but seeing everything as a challenge and eventual successful completion made it worthwile. Also, have fun as a team. There is no such thing as individual success. More importantly, if you have a lot of pride in your class and its capabilities, you will find that OCS can be a lot easier. The classes that do not come together strongly (and quickly)have a rough time. My class had the unofficial motto of "acting individually as a team." You'll be amazed at what things you can do when you all do it together.

Dave Shutter

Great news Peacotman! Persistence is the key, for a lot of us, it seems. Good luck and keep in touch.

OCS is winding down for class 11-02, two more graded evolutions left and then we'll be Candi' O's. It looks like we have a good chance of finishing as an Honor Class, but I won't say anymore, don't want to jinx us.

Haven't seen Vicki in a while, she moved from P-cola BOQ (a short walk across OCS campus and the PT/parade field) up to Whiting, but I do recall hearing from her that you find out your Primary location before API. I picked Whiting myself but I may ask to change it, apparently there's no wait for CC and I'm still intriqued about the Moody AFB with the T-6 II under the new JPATS system. It's a definite option now for SNA's, but you need 25 prior hours to qualify for it. The Flight mngmt. LT. said he has a hard time getting people to fill the AF slots (and CC) filled and he basically has to order people there. We heard a ton of stuff about Primary selections, what base produces the most Jet stud's, what current selections are like, etc. and other stuff during our class's flight mngmt. brief, and I'd love to tell you all about it, but everything changes constantly so there's no point.

SNA Russel is down here right donw the hall from me...Wow, watching Poopies come in after you is something else!

IFS is a reality but only a handful of people will get to do it and any flight time dis-qualifies you from it.

Even though there's still a few weeks of OCS left I have to start making preparations for API, wish me luck. BTW, API doesn't just happen after graduating BTW, you have to go out and get a bunch of up chits, PT test, swim test, dental for some people etc. You make the appt's and go make it happen yourself. Once your "up" your name goes on a list for API, whenever a future class opens up the LT. goes down the list of who's "up", he fills the holes and that's a class. The waits about 6 weeks depending on you.

Wish me luck!

ENS. Shutter, SNA on Feb 8 2002!!!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dave,

Sounds like everything is coming along nicely for you, strange to think how much shit you have had to go through to get where you are at now, and how happy you must be to finally bet at your goal.

I honestly have to laugh about those "which squadron makes the most jet..." rumors, I remember guys saying, I only want this squadron because my chances are better... blah blah blah. In reality, you are going to go where they send you, and in ANY of the squadrons, you kick ass, and you will have a good chance at getting the platform you want. Then again if you go to VT6 (cough), OF COURSE your chances at jets are better...

Anyways, best of luck,

John

vicki

Well John,

I for one certainly hope you're correct about the Shooters. Starting fams next week - I guess I can wait a little while before I start stressing over selection. Although for me I have to have "jet grades" by the end of PAs in order to get a fitcheck in a T-45. Oh well, I guess thay have to turn up the heat somehow. Thus far, flight school is a lot less stressful than vet school. That could all change in the airplane I'm sure.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Vicki,

As for stress, wait until your first time in the pattern and trying to spit out the comms while flying, lol, hopefully you will do better than I did. For me though, it has all been downhill since that FAM SOLO, granted there have been hectic times, but for me that was the end of any of the "pain" and stress I encountered. Even know as I am trying to upgrade to 2P, the PQS and flights are something to look forward to. Always seems like you have one more hurdle ahead of you....

As for VT6, say hi to MAJ Sherman for me, he took care of me during the instrument phase, spent time going over procedures etc., a real good IP.

Have fun with your upcoming flights, and best of luck getting the jet grades!

vicki

Matt's right - the Q in P'cola is pretty nice, but they've made one change. The permanent romms (the one's you definately want) are not provided with a TV. You get the TV cabinet, but you have to buy your own TV. Also, buy a $2 coax cable and hook your TV up to the cable outlet in the wall. Half the time the cable is already connected. If that's the case you don't have to call Mediacom and have it connected. When this happens, I'm not sure who exactly is getting the cable bill, but it's not you. A $48 / month savings.

mklepac

That all sounds pretty nice! Is it like college dorms where space if very limited so it's first-come first-served or is it pretty much guaranteed you can get a room in BOQ?

Mike

mattlowery

Hope this isn't a dumb question and hope I didn't overlook it anywhere, but they don't provide you with actual furniture right? i have my furniture now that i am going to put in storage, so was just wondering. are there apartments right outside one of the gates there in Pcola? it seems like when i was doing a search, there were some fairly new ones right around there. Thanks again for info!

vicki

Mklepac - It is first come, first serve, but if you put a pathetic look on your face and say you can't afford to live out in town, they'll find you a room - it's amazing.

Mattlowery - The rooms at the Q are furnished. It's even real furniture not dorm furniture, but there are also plenty of nice, reasonably-priced apartments in P'cola.