• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TOPGUN DAYS - new book about my experiences as an F-14 RIO and Topgun instructor

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
flight station and external walkaround....looking through the tube takes < 20 minutes normally. FE's preflight and TOLD data may take a little longer. The marathon preflights are normally with a full crew compliment on board and are due to the miscellaneous mission gear going down.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Looking forward to the book, did you make the book to the point where non-aviator types would understand or is your story above a good representation of your book?

Bio

None
Looking forward to the book, did you make the book to the point where non-aviator types would understand or is your story above a good representation of your book?

Good question. The story about flying along the highway has LESS explaining than most stories in the book. Plus, I explained things as they come up, so the reader gets a little smarter as they read. I wrote it for the general audience, not the experienced aviator. Then I had several people (friends and professional editors) read it for clarity. IMHO, experienced aviators will zip through the explanations that they already know and still enjoy the flying stories.

Bio

None
Great article in this month's Combat Aircraft Magazine as well.

Thanks highside7r. One thing I noticed is how great the new digital photos look! I had a professional service scan my 35mm slides and remove dust, scratches, etc. As an F-14 guy, I guess I am happy I was born at the right time to fly Tomcats, instead of the right time to use digital cameras. There wasn't that much overlap!

Bio

None
For those who are thinking about it but not quite sure, I'm finally uploading material for the "Inside this Book" feature on Amazon.com.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
P-3 Dudes, What does a 5 hour preflight entail!?! Do you literally walk around the airplane for five hours looking for discrepancies? Does that time include the brief, reading of ADB, aircraft preflight? 5 hours seems like a good way to piss through a chunk of your crew day pretty fast by doing nothing?. Help an ignorant tac-air guy understand :)

You have to figure in checking out of the hotel and turning in the rental car...

Logtwo

Actually went to Border's hoping to find one but alas, I will need to order it online. This will not bode well with my instant gratification personality!