• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Time to train (civilians flying military jets and Harriers vs conventional aircraft)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We didn't really. I was exaggerating. It passed through the area before we got there. We were twiddling our thumbs waiting on the ground for it to pass. But we definitely were in the soup.

See, this is a learning point. This is why IPs get into trouble when they weren't doing anything wrong. Just food for thought all (not just you Bogey).

FWIW, in TW-5, flying through a SIGMENT is not illegal.

mxracer19

Hanging out in K-Vegas.
I, too, will attest that flying a G1000 equipped a/c is for lack of a better phrase...straight tits. The only thing the G1000 doesn't do is cook you breakfast. With the attached autopilot suite you get XM satelite radio and the uplink for satellite weather. Built in approach plates, flight plan building, airspace alt and distance notifications, terrain, traffic, weather and more...information that would take me an hour to gather on the internet is 8 buttons away. The only downside is that with 216 square inches of glass display, it can be distracting. There are times when I dim the displays off and fly by the backups and compass...SA improves and it's more relaxing.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
See, this is a learning point. This is why IPs get into trouble when they weren't doing anything wrong. Just food for thought all (not just you Bogey).

FWIW, in TW-5, flying through a SIGMENT is not illegal.

When I IPed in 5, flying through a convective SIGMET (or SIGMENT, for that matter) was a no-go. It had to get "hatched out" over a segment as "not progressing as forecast." in order to fly in it. Oddly enough, the areas that it never seemed to progress as forecast in seemed to be in narrow corridors between S. Whiting, Santa Rosa, and Spencer.

I suppose the reason the rule might have changed was that Whiting weather forecasting was going to be remoted to Jacksonville and their metro wasn't with the program.

It got annoying in the fleet that new joins always thought SIGMETs were no-flies, like WWs. I always made sure my helo students knew the difference so they wouldn't look stupid in the fleet.

/end threadjack

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When I IPed in 5, flying through a convective SIGMET (or SIGMENT, for that matter) was a no-go. It had to get "hatched out" over a segment as "not progressing as forecast." in order to fly in it. Oddly enough, the areas that it never seemed to progress as forecast in seemed to be in narrow corridors between S. Whiting, Santa Rosa, and Spencer.

I suppose the reason the rule might have changed was that Whiting weather forecasting was going to be remoted to Jacksonville and their metro wasn't with the program.

It got annoying in the fleet that new joins always thought SIGMETs were no-flies, like WWs. I always made sure my helo students knew the difference so they wouldn't look stupid in the fleet.

/end threadjack

Yup, that was a big part of it. The rule change was primarly for RDOs to get back since Jeff was leaving (and is now gone). We still have a weather guesser up there, but she doesn't have the authority that Jeff used to have. I remember one time sitting in the line shack and being told that Whiting was in a SIGMET. The FAX finally showed up (from Norfolk, which is the mothership for weather for us now) and it had "Whiting" located north of the FL/AL border. Great job guys, way to know your customers.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
How about the argument that the base for Navy Aviation Wx should be in P'Cola due to the excessive volume of flights between P'Cola, Whiting, and being fairly close to Meridian. Not to mention there would probably be more comm between CRP and Kingsville, too, basically making the Wx HQ have legit SA on the areas with most Navy flights. It seemed to make sense, so I doubt it will ever happen. Ever.

Doesn anyone know why it was moved to that particular location?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
How about the argument that the base for Navy Aviation Wx should be in P'Cola due to the excessive volume of flights between P'Cola, Whiting, and being fairly close to Meridian. Not to mention there would probably be more comm between CRP and Kingsville, too, basically making the Wx HQ have legit SA on the areas with most Navy flights. It seemed to make sense, so I doubt it will ever happen. Ever.

Doesn anyone know why it was moved to that particular location?

That makes sense soooo, no. The way I understood it was money. They needed to cutback to save money and make everything centralized. You know, that wil make it "better" for the customer. So they took the east coast bases and threw them all into Norfolk's AOR. I don't know who does the West coast thing. Anyone?

I was trying to get a weather brief to get out of Oceana. The person at the counter had to enter it into the system and then call ALL THE WAY to Norfolk to tell them I was waiting for it. "So what would you say you DO here?"

I don't blame the individual satellite weather people. They've had everything taken away from them. But the overall system is broken from the customer's stand point.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
But the overall system is broken from the customer's stand point.
There's your problem: you think you're a "customer", where in fact, you are the "supported". Big diff. A customer pays for a "service" and has "choice". The "supported" gets a "service" from a "supporting element" at a "common output level" whilst taking it in the ass.

The problem is, Big Navy has set everything to a ridiculously low standard, and then only funded about 80% of that requirement. The unfortunate part is that Navy culture enables this, b/c we trick fuck the system to get the job done anyway, rather than letting it shine through just how much the mission is suffering b/c of the reduced funding level.

Boils down to the old "canteen lid" theory.

But who are we to try and go flying without a -1??? Or, more appropriately, who are you, since it is obvious from the above that I am nowhere near a -1 or a cockpit for that matter.

*sigh*

Note: the above funding practice does not apply if the program affected by said funding practice affects a storefront which services Flag Officers, and is particularly inapplicable if said storefront servces Flag Officers exclusively - and you better believe its completely ignored if it meets the above and is within the NCR to boot.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
As far as I know here on the left coast we still work with Norfolk. At least that who did the last brief I had here on the Rock.

But then again, who knows if that was normal? The computer just does it all, right? And it just always works as advertised, right? So life is easier, right? Mmmm-hmmmm.....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's your problem: you think you're a "customer", where in fact, you are the "supported". Big diff. A customer pays for a "service" and has "choice". The "supported" gets a "service" from a "supporting element" at a "common output level" whilst taking it in the ass.

I don't disagree w/ your pessimism, but something like this seems like a huge deal. I know it comes up regularly at the Wing level at Whiting, and others should be making a big stink about this. The same argument can be made for HHG. You're not a customer because you have no choice, and to a point, that's still correct, but having just finished a HHG move, I gotta say that the service I got from the movers (specifically the office, not just the heavy-lifters) may have been the best I've had because the government is finally holding the mover's feet to the fire, and that's a good thing.

My personal favorite item w/ the weather: How do I get a -1 when I'm at a FBO? Unless they have a CAC reader, I'm not allowed to access the weather website to get a brief. I guess you can call and generate a new brief, but I've never bothered and just end up calling FSS to save time.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
We spent March in El Centro and all of our weather data came from Norfolk. We even tried an experiment one day when the weather wasn't conforming to the "severe clear" El Sweato is notorious for. Called Norfolk wx (never mentioned where we were or who we were with) and asked what the forecast was looking like. The young guy on the other end, without skipping a beat, responded with current winds and ceiling, pointed out the small dust storm forming NW of the field and even forecasted the rest of the day....and was respectably correct on all accounts! Voodoo!

Back on topic, met Art today at the New River airshow, nice guy and has a great story! His L-39 is gorgeous too!

Pags

N/A
pilot
Usually when I call Norfolk from Norfolk they just read the TAFs to me. It's not what you'd call "helpful".