• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Time to train (civilians flying military jets and Harriers vs conventional aircraft)

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
If your flight doesn't originate from a Military facility with PMSV (Pilot to Metro Services) available, how the hell else would we get weather/file a flight plan? Answer: you can't. You use FSS.

Uh, no, you're completely wrong. There are other ways to get briefs and file. If you make it out of primary you may learn them.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If your flight doesn't originate from a Military facility with PMSV (Pilot to Metro Services) available, how the hell else would we get weather/file a flight plan? Answer: you can't. You use FSS.

please stop.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Uh, no, you're completely wrong. There are other ways to get briefs and file. If you make it out of primary you may learn them.
Wow....I am waiting to see a P-3 guy stick a knife into this one. Don't be a dork and just call WX Brief. Do you guys really quiz each other on the flight deck about how many different ways to get a brief and file there are?:D

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Ever since Wx Brief got taken over by Lockheed Martin or whatever contractor is is, the quality of service has gone down markedly. I'll be the stupid one and raise his hand here, other than going fax-crazy with a base-ops or using DUATS (which is basically FSS online), what other methods do you recommend?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
If I'm at a military base, I go to Base Ops and get a -1. If I'm anywhere else but the boat, I call 1800WXBRIEF. If I'm at the boat, I talk to the ships weather guys, disregard everything they say, and look it up on the internet (after looking outside for local wx).

I'm with Phog. Is there any other way that works?

phrogpilot73

I'm with Phog. Is there any other way that works?
I'm a little rusty, but I though the only legal ways were a -1, FSS or DUATS. If you want the same info quicker, you can always go to www.aviationweather.gov and look at METARs, TAFs, SIGMETs, AIRMETs, Winds Aloft, Icing, Turbulence, PIREPS, etc... to you heart's content! It's also a pretty smartphone friendly website so if the Battalion Commander asks you if the skids are going to fly you can make an educated guess quickly.

Oh, and I agree that the changes to FSS suck. Try filing a DC ADIZ flight plan with some schmuck that's not in the DC area...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As I recall, DUATS doesn't (or maybe DIDN'T) work if you're terminating at a military facility, too. I love aviationweather.gov, but unless you're VFR, I wouldn't file solely based on it.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I've never had any issues with 800wx-brief. What kinds of problems have you guys run into with them?

I use adds.aviationweather.gov for all my flight planning.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Oh, and I agree that the changes to FSS suck. Try filing a DC ADIZ flight plan with some schmuck that's not in the DC area...

I've had to do that on several occasions, luckily most of my flying was out of Bay Bridge heading east so all I had to do was squawk the local code. I know guys who couldn't even take off since they couldn't file being under the ADIZ and all. Honestly, I've never had a problem with the FSS but my experience is limited and I haven't done any real cross country kind of stuff.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If I'm at a military base, I go to Base Ops and get a -1.

Must be nice. Unless it's on the on-top, there's not "going to base ops" to get anything. It's all computerized, which is a fancy word for "Why won't NMCI let me on this website!!!?....oh, there it goes." Of course, once you've filed online, you walk over to base ops to get your weather (or get it online).

Personally, I'm far more trusting and reliant on nws.noaa.gov than any "local" weather product.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I love aviationweather.gov, but unless you're VFR, I wouldn't file solely based on it.

I don't think it is legal to file based on *.gov alone anyway. There is like a disclaimer on it and everything. Damn law-dogs.

If it is a local flight and you know the weather area (and I mean jet local, so a few hundred miles) you can often check the charts on the website and get pretty good at forcasting what is up. Those sat and radar pictures are great (and look superb on the iPhone). But still isn't legal. So I guess that makes my last paragraph useless. But I typed all that so I won't delete it...

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
So how does it work here in Corpus when we put a Tango 3 on request or something along those lines? We don't get a -1 or call the FSS yet we're on instruments. Is that because we're local?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You probably have an On-Top which covers your local area. The On-Top is a -1.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
So how does it work here in Corpus when we put a Tango 3 on request or something along those lines? We don't get a -1 or call the FSS yet we're on instruments. Is that because we're local?

We always had to have one of those canned -1 wx briefs in -31 when we were doing a instrument flight.