• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Time to train (civilians flying military jets and Harriers vs conventional aircraft)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
OPNAV 3710:

If NMOC or USMC Services
are not locally available, an FAA-approved weather
briefing from either a Flight Service Station (FSS) or
Direct User Access Terminal System (DUATS) may be
substituted.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
So how does it work here in Corpus when we put a Tango 3 on request or something along those lines? We don't get a -1 or call the FSS yet we're on instruments. Is that because we're local?

In Meridian we technically had a Wx Brief on file everyday for all the canned routes we flew. I'm not going to speak to how much we actually looked at said brief as oppose to looking at the weather from other sources, but that brief did in fact exist to make us legal.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
We used canned briefs all the time, but in small print it said it wasn't a -1. Also, when we used a Tango 3 we never went through the process of giving all our information (like at an FSS). Is that since the squadron has all our info should something happen?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We used canned briefs all the time, but in small print it said it wasn't a -1. Also, when we used a Tango 3 we never went through the process of giving all our information (like at an FSS). Is that since the squadron has all our info should something happen?

I don't know what a "Tango 3" is, but it sounds like a canned route. Most high-volume places are going to have canned routes that cut down on the filing and paperwork for base ops. All you do is tell Base Ops what route you're filing and they punch it in for you.

If you're done w/ Primary, I'm surprised you haven't been exposed to this. I'm not blaming you, and maybe Corpus is different, but this is pretty standard stuff at Whiting. Yeah, the -1 details are a little in the weeds, but it's interesting to see the differences in exposure between the wings. Not saying one is better than other, just different.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
We do cover this stuff, but I just wanted to get some clarification since it does get hazy at times. I get easily confused, haha. Thank you for the help.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We do cover this stuff, but I just wanted to get some clarification since it does get hazy at times. I get easily confused, haha. Thank you for the help.

For some reason I thought you were a good ways through the Advanced portion of training which is why I brought it up. A quick scan of "facts" reveals otherwise. Below in SA for me.

Again, though, I wasn't calling you out and apologize if it sounded that way.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
No worries, I didn't see it that way at all. For some reason, RIs gave me a really tough time so I'd really like to get straight on a lot of stuff before I get into it in advanced.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I don't know what a "Tango 3" is, but it sounds like a canned route. Most high-volume places are going to have canned routes that cut down on the filing and paperwork for base ops. All you do is tell Base Ops what route you're filing and they punch it in for you.

If you're done w/ Primary, I'm surprised you haven't been exposed to this. I'm not blaming you, and maybe Corpus is different, but this is pretty standard stuff at Whiting. Yeah, the -1 details are a little in the weeds, but it's interesting to see the differences in exposure between the wings. Not saying one is better than other, just different.

Just to clarify: yes, a Tango 3 is one of the local LOA coded flight plans. We don't do any filing. We just get a canned wx brief, and head out to the plane. We simply put a "tango 3" on request with clearance (local area instrument approaches) and tell them our first approach.

BTW, XJ, it IS a legal -1, you are looking at the wrong sheet. It has a flimsy number, a brief time, expiration time and all of it. PM me if you want me to explain (your metro-fu needs some improvement).

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I've finally figured out what goes on here in Corpus in case anyone was wondering, or still cares. This is what was relayed to me and clarifies things. The "Tango 3" and the like are coded flight plans that are part of the local letter of agreement between all the controlling agencies as said before. It turns out that our squadron's flight schedules count for the manifests and provide the necessary info that would normally be placed on a DD-175 and since we're staying local (or carrying out what's on the coded flight plan), the route of flight is also taken care of. The canned -1 weather briefs we get are only legal for our local area, as well. Sweet.