• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Time to train (civilians flying military jets and Harriers vs conventional aircraft)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I did some flying in a G1000 with weather radar and two storm cells outside and it was one of the coolest civilian flights I ever did. It was like having real time Doppler radar with everything being so clear. Yes, it is a Cessna but they are good planes.

Having flown through an area with a convective sigmet and severe thunderstorm warning this weekend, it definitely would have made me a bit more comfortable. :D

The bottom line is this guy has some kickass toys and we'd be jealous of even the guy with his own Cessna.

Hopefully someday I'll have my own private fighter....that's probably the only way I'll get to fly a jet. :icon_tong

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
He probably got it cheaply because they are cheap, relatively speaking.

The company that Nalls bought his SHAR from were also selling an ex-RAF Jaguar T Mk4 with low time motors, bang seats, complete avionics (sans classified) and a load of other goodies for £80,000 ($160,000). The jet had been kept in flyable storage and was almost in flyaway condition. Bargain!

Here's the actual jet:

Now how much would it cost to actually LEARN how to fly it if all youve done is get your PPL?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Now how much would it cost to actually LEARN how to fly it if all youve done is get your PPL?
You need 1000 hours, 500 PIC, and an approved course in the plane, then the checkride. Realistically, you could fly/pass the checkride in one with about 8 hours of training. Proficient in the jet and a smart idea...absolutely not in a freaking Sea Harrier.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You need 1000 hours, 500 PIC, and an approved course in the plane, then the checkride. Realistically, you could fly/pass the checkride in one with about 8 hours of training. Proficient in the jet and a smart idea...absolutely not in a freaking Sea Harrier.

You're not even solo-ing in the RAG with 8 hrs in the Harrier... and the AV-8B is a whole 'nother animal from a Sea Harrier/AV-8A. A civilian buying and trying to fly a Harrier would likely make a nice smoking hole in the ground. There's a reason our time to train is the longest in Marine aviation and we leave the RAG with a lower CRP than Hornet Cat I's.

I would say that a prior-military TACAIR pilot could likely easily transition to most other conventional airframes (eg. Jaguar) in a short amount of time and still be proficient enough to be safe... but not a Harrier.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
There's a reason our time to train is the longest in Marine aviation and we leave the RAG with a lower CRP than Hornet Cat I's.

Still true? I was thinking the MV-22 guys mighta had ya here recently.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Still true? I was thinking the MV-22 guys mighta had ya here recently.

TTT.jpg

Just going by that (Avg TBS to Fleet). It's from the 2007 Marine Aviation Plan.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TTT.jpg

Just going by that (Avg TBS to Fleet). It's from the 2007 Marine Aviation Plan.

Are my eyes deceiving me or is the time to train a Prowler pilot planned to be slightly higher than a Harrier one?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are my eyes decieving me or is the time to train a Prowler pilot planned to be slightly higher than a Harrier one?

Looks that way. Why, I have no idea. You? But then reference "plan" vs. last 3 years of reality.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What makes the Harrier more difficult? Is it hovering?

Ya... something to do with that whole regimes of flight almost no other aircraft in the world really operate in thing.

phrogpilot73

Ya... something to do with that whole regimes of flight almost no other aircraft in the world really operate in thing.
Except for helos, which remarkably have the shortest time to train...

Perhaps it's hovering + flying fast that's causing it.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Except for helos, which remarkably have the shortest time to train...

Perhaps it's hovering + flying fast that's causing it.

Yeah, well, don't Harrier guys sign for the aircraft after they're done with training, or all jet guys for that matter?

I thought about that before, and to me it makes sense that if you factor in flight school and then the time to get to the HAC board, helos take about the same amount of time to get to the point of signing for the bird.