• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"THE WORD" at tbs right now about API

dtxz

Looks Lost
pilot
The popular rumor for Golf Co. is that they are going straight to MATSG-21; possibly because the next 'language class' is full with Echo and Fox guys. Anyone from Golf Co. have actual word on this?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
The popular rumor for Golf Co. is that they are going straight to MATSG-21; possibly because the next 'language class' is full with Echo and Fox guys. Anyone from Golf Co. have actual word on this?

That is probably what will happen since the language instructors are supposed to go to 8th & I next to give classes after this current one. If you do go straight to MATSG dont expect to class up right away though since Alpha is just barely classing up for API right now and they are sending a hand full of Charlie and Delta guys TAD as we speak. Things can change in the next 4 months but you could probably count on some TAD when you get down here. They do classes in order and by TBS lineal standings here.

HueyHornet75

pilot
I remember wanting to go to IOC during TBS...a great friend and roommate countered with, "dude-sure, you can drop a 40 lb weight on your cock and live, but why would you?" Truer words were never spoken. wow, and to think 18 months after TBS, I had wings. sucks to be the young guys. oh, by the way, when they drop the end strength in about 4-5 years, promotion is going to be a bitch! I'm sure augmentation will make a rip-roaring comeback. Good luck, gents! Enjoy the training. They pay us to blow stuff up, so rock on!

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
Looks like the possibility of doing a deployment before API may be a thing of the past.

I'm at a TACP live fire right now at Camp Lejeune, and there are about 10-12 2ndLts hanging out watching how CAS works. They are about to deploy to OEF with MSG to ride on convoys and effectively act as JFOs (request CAS, request CASEVAC, assist JTAC with CAS, etc) if the covoy gets hit. When they get home they go to API. Not sure what company they were with, but will ask.

KBayDog

Interested to hear hear what your experience base is.

Ups = Some decent info that can be used in primary...actual knowledge of an ADB and how it really works. Could be good down-the-road getting you into the maintenance side of things rather then scheds once in the fleet.

Or S-1. Or S-4. Or S-5. Or S-6. Or DOSS.

CumminsPilot said:
Downs = I would NOT want to be an AMO if I didn't make it as a pilot...and having that designator already in your OMPF if you were to attrite would probably lead you down that road fairly quickly. Those guys have so much to do and nothing to do it with...never enough time, guys, or money for parts. No thank you.

Again, on what experience to you base these remarks? What they told you in school?

With my 20/20 hindsight, if I had been given the opportunity, I would have jumped at the chance to go to AMO school in a heartbeat. Going into a fleet squadron with the book knowledge of how things work downstairs will only help enable you see the big picture of how squadrons operate (the experience will come in time). Your primary job is to be an aviator - a thorough understanding of maintenance practices and procedures will only help your knowledge of the aircraft and the people who make it airworthy. Additionally, knowing how Maintenance functions will help you execute whatever collateral duties you wind up with.

pharaelga

Constantly lost in the sauce....

That is correct, we have something like 12 slots for various jobs around Marine Base Quantico, "i.e. fill sand bags" in Mike Co. All except for the 12 lucky few get to go straight to P-cola. That is the WORD as of this writing.....

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
Interested to hear hear what your experience base is.

Again, on what experience to you base these remarks? What they told you in school?
if I had been given the opportunity, I would have jumped at the chance to go to AMO school in a heartbeat.

Just what I learned while sitting through the school. I agree with you, it is absolutely worth while, as an aviator, to have the AMO designation and to have gone through the school. I just don't think I'd want to be an AMO if I wasn't a pilot...being just an AMO would suck, imho.

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
I'm at a TACP live fire right now at Camp Lejeune, and there are about 10-12 2ndLts hanging out watching how CAS works. They are about to deploy to OEF with MSG to ride on convoys and effectively act as JFOs (request CAS, request CASEVAC, assist JTAC with CAS, etc) if the covoy gets hit. When they get home they go to API. Not sure what company they were with, but will ask.

Disregard, these were guys from D company, graduated back in Nov.

pharaelga

That is correct, we have something like 12 slots for various jobs around Marine Base Quantico, "i.e. fill sand bags" in Mike Co. All except for the 12 lucky few get to go straight to P-cola. That is the WORD as of this writing.....

Update: Apparently they are assigning some Lt's to the Pentagon (TBS Lt underground as I have not heard anyone with silver bars confirm this....)

HueyHornet75

pilot
In addition to what KBay said, when you return to the fleet as an O-4 type, there are 3 jobs that typically help you get promoted: XO, OpsO, and Maintenance Officer. That being said, having that school under your belt might be nice to have when & if you reach that stage. FWIW. oh, and if your command gives you the opportunity to get some good, additional training, take it, since it's not interfering with your primary flight duties.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Update: Apparently they are assigning some Lt's to the Pentagon (TBS Lt underground as I have not heard anyone with silver bars confirm this....)

I have such bars of silver as you speak of, and I would be willing to provide any information you need for the Lt underground.

I pretty much know everything, so ask away.

pharaelga

I have such bars of silver as you speak of, and I would be willing to provide any information you need for the Lt underground.

I pretty much know everything, so ask away.

Oh wise one with silver bars can you reveal our fate? Who among us will valiantly carry shovel to slay the mighty sandbag?