• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"THE WORD" at tbs right now about API

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
Looks like the possibility of doing a deployment before API may be a thing of the past. How long is language training by the way?

Edit for lack of attention to detail.

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
When do you find out which language you'll be studying? I know that everyone will take a test to determine learning potential (or something of the sort), but is selection solely based on this, luck of the draw, or are the desires of Marines taking into consideration?

Reconjoe

All the Fox Co. Flight Contracts just got word that we will not be going to school in Fredericksburg anymore but that language school will be in quantico. I am assuming that MWU has an extended campus up in the quantico area vs. us having to actually take classes on base. Can anyone who is in the language school right now give us a better idea of where it is. Many of us are trying to find Apts in relation to this mystery location.

There are no language classes training right now (we just "graduated" last Friday). It was taking place at UMW's graduate school campus in Fredericksburg for the last six months but no clue if that will still continue. Best bet, get something in the Stafford area.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
If you guys get a chance to, go TAD.

Sitting around doing nothing sucks. Go TAD, meet people, work hard, and learn as much as you can.

(oh yeah and don't get a lease in Pensacola, then bank your BAH and per diem)

b0pric01

pilot
Okay, so I am supposed to be headed to TBS in April. I spoke to a Lieutenant today that had just graduated TBS a few weeks ago and he was telling me that I might have the opportunity to go to IOC and possibly deploy while waiting for API. Judging by Deror's post that might not still be a possibility, but does anyone have any more up to date information on this?

texags

pilot
Okay, so I am supposed to be headed to TBS in April. I spoke to a Lieutenant today that had just graduated TBS a few weeks ago and he was telling me that I might have the opportunity to go to IOC and possibly deploy while waiting for API. Judging by Deror's post that might not still be a possibility, but does anyone have any more up to date information on this?

It varies from company to company. You will probably not know until halfway through TBS whether or not the air guys will be heading straight to Florida. As far as I know, only a few companys in the last year have been given the IOC opportunity. And even if your company is giving a few IOC slots to air guys, they are pretty competitive. If you are desperate to go to IOC your best bet would be to drop your air contract at the beggining of TBS.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
It varies from company to company. You will probably not know until halfway through TBS whether or not the air guys will be heading straight to Florida. As far as I know, only a few companys in the last year have been given the IOC opportunity. And even if your company is giving a few IOC slots to air guys, they are pretty competitive. If you are desperate to go to IOC your best bet would be to drop your air contract at the beggining of TBS.

Companies.

It was one company, and it was to fill needed empty 2nd Lt billets in a reserve battalion. If IOC has a slot open you might get it, but it's more likely to get a slot at AMO school at Whiting.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
it's more likely to get a slot at AMO school at Whiting.

Which, has its ups and downs.

Ups = Some decent info that can be used in primary...actual knowledge of an ADB and how it really works. Could be good down-the-road getting you into the maintenance side of things rather then scheds once in the fleet. The senior Marine at AMO right now is a good dude...fallen angel himself. The school is a no-brainer too...all open book tests, and all real simple stuff...ESPECIALLY if they finally got rid of the blue screen for MAFs.

Downs = I would NOT want to be an AMO if I didn't make it as a pilot...and having that designator already in your OMPF if you were to attrite would probably lead you down that road fairly quickly. Those guys have so much to do and nothing to do it with...never enough time, guys, or money for parts. No thank you.

b0pric01

pilot
Well, not the news I was really hoping for, but I really appreciate the responses guys. I am not really desperate to go to IOC, just thought it would be a great opportunity that I would be happy to jump on. I have been kicking the idea around of dropping my air contract, but with so many guys I know that would kill for one and can't get it I feel pretty privileged to be in this position. Guess I will find out when I get there what my situation will be. Thanks again.

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
Think I've posted this before here, but I'm one of those guys who got to go to IOC between TBS and API. It was well worth it, a lot of great training. I was pretty gung ho at the time and was on the fence about dropping my air contract. There were 3 of us who had air contracts at IOC, plus a 4th guy who started with one and dropped it near the end of TBS. This was a function of IOC revolving around platoon level training, and you need a certain amount of bodies to fill out a platoon for it to work. If infantry slots are low for any given TBS class, IOC can fill the platoon from E-company or air contracts waiting for API. Back in the mid-late 80's the backup at API was so bad they actually took several companies of Lts and sent them to IOC, Fort Sill, etc, and they did 18 month fleet tours before API. These days if they did that, that actually would likely include a combat deployment. Not saying it would happen again, but weird things have been done before based on the pipeline.

At this point in my life, I'm really, really, really glad I didn't drop that air contract. The temptation to drop it was all about getting right out to the fleet and leading Marines, and this was back in '97, no combat, I'm sure the temptation is even greater these days. During my first 11 years of active duty, I wrote 1 fitrep. One. Uno. Since joining the reserves and doing a mobilized deployment the past 2 years, I've written probably 30 fitreps. So I'm now the typical reserve Major acting like a ground Lt/Capt leading Marines, writing training plans, etc, etc. And I'm still a FAC, so I still get to break things. So in the end, I get to do both. If you drop your air contract, there is no going back, that's a one way door. Guys who were infantry in the fleet are generally going to be infantry in the reserves. They'll start businesses or be middle managers when they get out. Besides the fact that you are considering giving up the fucking coolest job ever, you have many more options later in life with a resume that says "Naval Aviator" vice "Infantry Officer."

81montedriver

pilot
Well, not the news I was really hoping for, but I really appreciate the responses guys. I am not really desperate to go to IOC, just thought it would be a great opportunity that I would be happy to jump on. I have been kicking the idea around of dropping my air contract, but with so many guys I know that would kill for one and can't get it I feel pretty privileged to be in this position. Guess I will find out when I get there what my situation will be. Thanks again.

I agree with you that it would be a pretty cool opportunity to go to IOC before API and SWACQ makes very good points having done it himself. But I will go on to tell you that the vast majority of 2ndLt's are very amped up after OCS about infantry stuff and right then and there decide they want infantry.

The number of Marines who want infantry at the end of TBS is much much smaller. After doing FEX's in 20 degrees and snow or MOUT in 100 degree heat and doing humps once a month, lots of guys decide it's not for them. So the point I'm trying to make is don't get your mind too set on it. If a spot does open up for you, think long and hard about it but certainly don't drop your air contract.