• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"THE WORD" at tbs right now about API

ConsiderItDone

Marine Officer
Russia is part of Asia...

True statement. But Russian is a Slavic language. I was shooting more for an Austro-Asiatic, or East Asian (specifically) language. Pero, Asi es la vida. Perhaps I can grab Portuguese, as I already have a nice base in Spanish. Of course, all of this is pending that this situation is even still going on once I graduate from Arctic Alpha...

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Shouldn't you be studying for your flight with your favorite instructor on Monday?

calbear627

Just went through all posts here and it seems that API is back up to speed. Is this actually the case or are the LTs still getting assigned to a different, temporary, MOS?

I appreciate all of the insight you guys have given on here, considering I'm a PLC candidate who has chosen to pursue an aviation contract (I'm a junior at Cal, awaiting the results from the selection boards in Dec). Although I cannot relate to the frustration most of the LTs are feeling, concerning API, I think the alternative opportunities presented to most of them can be extremely beneficial, long term that is. Regardless of how long one has to wait, it seems that the military has and will keep its obligation to these guys...

If any of you have any news regarding the API pipeline, I would appreciate it. I realize that this whole issue doesnt apply to me, nor will it for years, and that I should be focusing my attention to more relevant matters (OCS, TBS). However, it's always nice to gain some insight as to what should be expected if/when I make it to that specific point in my life.

Thanks again.

81montedriver

pilot
It doesn't really matter what anyone on here tells you about current wait times because by the time you get there, you will be dealing with something completely different. That's just how it works.

calbear627

Yea i figured...I had another few questions I was hoping you guys could address in terms of PLC/OCS.

I realize that letters of rec will make or break your application. My OSO told me that 5 would be enough for PLC, but I'm a little skeptical as to how valid this statement truly is. I honestly believe that the more people who can account for you on a first hand basis, the better. So far I have letters lined up from:

Boss/Supervisor at Insurance Firm, Worked 2+ years 20 hrs a week
Career USA Ranger, E-7, I worked/interned for him at the Defense Language Institute
HS Coach/Teacher, Saw almost every aspect of me in and outside of school
College Prof, Took two courses with him
Friend/Colleague, Prior USMC E-4
Current OCS Select USMC, conducted workouts/information hearings with him at Det with other OCS/PLC candidates
Father (Not sure if this will benefit me in any way, as this man is my father. Give me your thoughts about whether or not I should include him) USAF 0-5
Ground School Instructor for PPL, USN 0-4, P-3 stud
Superior at current job, 2+ years
Former DLI CSM, USA E-9

Would this suffice? I just want to ensure that this process is not half-assed as this has truly been something I've wanted my whole life. As I've read on this website, the PLC boards were pushed from November to December and now February. I'm hoping that this winter break I will be able to get most, if not all of these completed.

Thank you for your time. Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Listen to your OSO. The board has enough paperwork to go through. If you drown them in paper, they aren't going to read most of it. Pick the five people who will give you the best recommendations and use them. Lean on those who've known you professionally or academically, vice just on a personal basis.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Would this suffice? I just want to ensure that this process is not half-assed as this has truly been something I've wanted my whole life. As I've read on this website, the PLC boards were pushed from November to December and now February. I'm hoping that this winter break I will be able to get most, if not all of these completed.

Running a 300 PFT, not having a DUI, and having a GPA that isn't terrible are all more important than the above.

Random Task

pilot
I honestly believe that the more people who can account for you on a first hand basis, the better.

Not exactly true. The members of the board don't know the people accounting for you so factual information is more valuable to them than the opinions in letters of rec. That's not to say letters aren't important from a few noteworthy people who can comment on your performance and character but letters from friends who happen to be in the military are worth nothing compared to a boss who you worked for and was never in the military. I would consider what your OSO said a good number as a maximum.

Ground School Instructor for PPL, USN 0-4, P-3 stud

stud??? as an O-4 how did that work?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I'm pretty sure they told me family members aren't accepted for letters of recommendation. I can also tell you that another officer candidate is not a worthwhile source.

helmetfire

All the Fox Co. Flight Contracts just got word that we will not be going to school in Fredericksburg anymore but that language school will be in quantico. I am assuming that MWU has an extended campus up in the quantico area vs. us having to actually take classes on base. Can anyone who is in the language school right now give us a better idea of where it is. Many of us are trying to find Apts in relation to this mystery location.